PDA

View Full Version : Help!

mikeminyard
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
We were out at the dunes over the weekend and my R was running good all day. At the end we decided to hit the flats and get some speed. While at WOT I felt a blurble, and then it went away, then the engine completely shut off. I thought I had ran out of gas, or had forgotten to turn it on. That was not the case, but I tried to kick it and it would not start. I noticed I had lost quite a bit of compression. I thought that maybe I had gone lean and melted a hole in the piston, but I looked at it tonight with a bore scope and it looks totally fine.

So my question is what could this be? I took the reed cage out to inspect it. It is a Boyesen Rad Valve and one side of the reeds is lifted a little bit off the cage but the other is fine. Is it possible that the reeds are causing this loss of compression and inability to start?

I just wanted to get some thoughts before I go about redoing the top end. BTW I am running an LRD 265 PV that was totally redone from the bottom up by them, as well as ported. The exhaust is the adjustable one by LRD. The engine probably has 15 hours on it. Thanks

hang1p
03-02-2006, 01:31 AM
you could have a stuck ring happened to me do a compresssion check that would tell you right away I had only 60psi when mine stuck then we pull started (with anthor quad) it started and now I have 170psi

mikeminyard
03-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I was wonndering if that could be the problem, I would never have thought a stuck ring could drop compression so much though. Maybe I'll try a pull start. Any other ideas?

mikeminyard
03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
It looks like what happened was that it went lean and melted a little bit of the piston over the rings on the exhaust side. So time for new bore and piston.