PDA

View Full Version : ICAT spark plug thing

hondaboy400ex55
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
ok my buddy told me about this thing called an ICAT its a spark plug wire and its $200 but its pussoed to give you ALOT of extra power has any body ever heard of this

03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
I have heard of it. It intensify s your spark,,, Makes stronger? I dono the word..

But basically it is the same thing as enlarging the gap on your spark plug... I think, Kinda holds the electricity back, then when it does jump it is stronger.

as for more power, I doubt it will be that noticible if at all.

zeppelin
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
i have heard it was more noticeable on smaller motors. mxa did a test on it awhile back and they said the could definetly fell it on a 250f, not so much on the 450, but when they put it on there xr50 they said it was a better mod than a pipe.

Shawn H
03-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I seen it in ATV Sport they claim it works but I wouldnt buy it..

Kinda reminds me of the Roost Boost back in the day for the 2 strokes. I used to have 1 of them and it was worhtless.

Toadz400
03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Shawn H
I seen it in ATV Sport they claim it works but I wouldnt buy it..

Kinda reminds me of the Roost Boost back in the day for the 2 strokes. I used to have 1 of them and it was worhtless.

I wouldn't pay $200 for it but it sounds like it would work.

What was the Roost Boost?

And when are we going to go riding??:blah:

hrc
03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Just get a dyna ignition or a hot shot series cdi bow. Im pretty shure they both enhance the spark too just like the icat does. Some one tell me if im wrong.

03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
roost boost. lol. My dad is always talking about how I should get a roost boost. lol, obviously kidding.

Shawn H
03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
No Im totally serious!!! No joke!

They had a ignition enhancer back in the 80's that was called " Roost Boost" And Answer made it for 2 strokes I had 1 on my 87 lt250r.

Some older people have to remember it?

Toad
I think were going riding this weekend.

Trans world Motocross article: Mentions the Answer Roost Boost

By Donn Maeda

Posted: 11.03.2003

A lot of new products land on our desks here at TransWorld Motocross; some great, some mediocre and some just straight-up kooky. In this day and age, it’s rare to see a product that is truly original, and not a rehash or variation of something that has already been done.

A few weeks ago a small tubular box including an electronic device called the iCAT showed up, and we must admit that we sounded the “Lamb Alert.” What is that, you ask? Well, if you’ve been a loyal reader of TransWorld Motocross, you know that when a truly lame product shows up in our offices, they are subjected to the wrath of the editors, much like a sacrificial lamb. (e.g. No Bull Riding Armor, Raven MX Gear, Sport Legs Capsules, DMC Fork Lock, etc…)

Inserted in between the ignition coil and the spark plug cap, the iCAT is said to increase the intensity and duration of the spark plug’s spark, thus resulting in complete combustion of the fuel/air mixture and ultimately more horsepower. With memories of the Answer Roost Boost fresh in our minds (and its lack of results), we set out to test the iCAT on our 2004 Suzuki RM250.

Installing the product is actually a breeze. All you need to do is remove the seat and fuel tank, so that you have easy access to the spark plug area. The spark plug cap is unscrewed from the coil wire, and the iCAT is screwed into the coil wire. Once you screw the spark plug cap into the wire that comes out of the iCAT device, you affix the iCAT to the frame or radiator hose using the supplied zip ties.

We were shocked to find that as soon as we fired the RM250 up, it felt as if the bike revved quicker and cleaner. On the track, the bike actually ran stronger everywhere; the basic powerband character was maintained, but the bike felt as if it had gained a significant amount of power. The best example we can give to illustrate the gains experienced is the difference between the manner in which a well-jetted bike running on pump gas feels, and that same bike running on high-octane race fuel. The difference in performance was notable and surprising. While installing an aftermarket pipe can indeed boost the performance of a motorcycle, the gains made often require losses elsewhere in the powerband. The iCAT meanwhile, had no sacrifices anywhere in the rpm range.

Since that initial test day, we’ve tried the iCAT on several different test bikes and enjoyed identical results. As a matter of fact, when we bolted the iCAT on our 2004 Honda CR125R test bike, The Hatchet commented that it made the bike into a screamer that actually ran better than his ’03 CR125R race bike, which was bored to the AMA-legal 134cc. On the Honda CRF450R and Suzuki RM-Z250, the iCAT proved to be a sure-fire replacement for the hot start button. Hot or cold, the thumpers fired up on the first kick, every time.

The most impressive results we’ve gotten, however, were when we installed the iCAT on a fully modified 250cc two-stroke. As is the project bike knocked our socks off with a full four-horsepower gain over stock, but when we installed the iCAT, it literally blew us away. Hands down, the project bike (manufacturer and modification details withheld because the feature is still in the works) was transformed into the smoothest and easiest-to-ride, yet fastest 250 we’ve ever ridden.

Dollar for dollar, we’d venture to say that the $200 iCAT is one of the best performance modifications available today. It is easy to install, has no downsides, and can be transferred from bike to bike with ease. Call 918/441-1215 or visit www.icatusa.com.