PDA

View Full Version : yf rumors? are they true?

N400Ex
03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
i am in the process of upgradin from a 400 to a 450. I love the yamahas but i am not totally sure if it is reliable enough for me. I have heard that they tend to be high maintenence. I ride motocross but unfrotunatly money is of the essence to me and it is very tight.. i have never had a problem with my 400 but i need something faster. You yami-owners would know, what exactly is the yfz known for in the negative way? thanks-

-nate

SRH
03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
naw my yfz is holding up better than my 400ex..im super happy with it, the rumors come from people who do lack of maintence..or dont fully understand the yfz motor is a racebike...the stock swingarms are trash but everything else is good

bozz
03-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I bought mine seven months ago it's ridden hard and not one thing went wrong i run amsoil and change it every 20 hours and clean the air filter after every ride i sold my 04 raptor for this 05 yfz it was the best thing i did hands down better in all situations.

Ride1Rob
03-02-2006, 06:33 AM
I have an 04 and the only issues I've had w/ mine was my wiring harness. That was about 3 months ago and I've had it for 2yrs.

As far as high maintnance... any of the 450's are high maintnance. These are bikes that should be catered to after every ride. You should always check to make sure everything is clean and there are no leaks. I change my oil around every 5 to 10 hrs of riding. I only use Motul 3000 w/ a 20% touch of Lucas.

daddio
03-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Racing is high maintence. The faster you go, the bigger you jump, and the more you crash, the more maintence you will have to do. Any bike you get, will require the same or simular maintence.

I spend a min. of 4-6 hrs after every race weekend going over the quads (usually 2), and that's if nothing happened during the weekend.

Toadz400
03-02-2006, 09:11 AM
The rumors are not true. YFZ's are very reliable for what they are made for. Like everyone is saying, these are race quads and they require higher maintanence than your trail-oriented 400EX.

A friend of mine just seized his 450R, so should I go around saying Honda's are unreliable like all the die-hard Honda fans say about Yamaha's? Nah, this kid just never did maintanence and rode it to it's death.

VIGILANTE MAN
03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I crossed my fingers and bought a used '04 last spring. I raced maybe 8 or 9 harescrambles on it last year.

You'd think for the year it was produced, the fact that it was used and that it gets ridden fairly hard, I'd have all kinds of problems.

The only issue I've had is the water pump seal went bad. That was a $5 - 15 minute fix.

I don't think it's any less reliable than anything else.

450r51
03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
any quad will be reliable as long as u do routine maintenence, and any quad will be unreliable, if you dont do jack to maintain it.

Kennethyfz450
03-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I bought and 04 yfz 2 yrs ago, have over 500hrs on it, and I'm still on stock the bore without any signs of smoking.

Runs like a champ?? I dont see how anyone has any troube?

I hill climb, visit the mx track at least once a week, and aggressive trail riding.....

I use Amsoil :D

DieselBoy
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
I am a firm believer that Yamaha has done a phenominal job on the YFZ. I have owned 3 Yamaha's and hands down I never doubted them for a damn second. But I tried the honda, it's good, but I want a YFZ. However, the price they sell for now is out the question until they come down.

Mike,

bad01300ex
03-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Yea man dont listen to the rumors or the die hard honda fans, the yfz is a great quad. I just sold an 04 due to motor problems, but that wasnt yamahas fault, it was the lack of care the guy before me gave to it, i shouldnt have bought it.

When i bought my 250r from a guy that is friends with Keith Little, he said Little blew up 30 motors last year:eek2:
but he probly rides a little harder than us:p

440racer66
03-06-2006, 05:28 PM
i luv mine its great i have no problems with it except making my friends jealous just take care of it and it will take care of you ahaha but i like the yfz a tousand times better it just the way the power deliverie is un godly it wants to rocket where ever it goes and it goes anywhere i want to go