PDA

View Full Version : Used KFX 400 - What to look for???

LuckyRugger
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm going to look at a 2004 Kawasaki KFX 400 this weekend. The guy say's is has never been raced, the mods include DG Nerf bars, Yoshimura pipe and widened front end. What are some things I should look for when I go look at this quad? I know the frame is prone to crack, specifically where should I be looking? Anything else that is a common problem with these bikes? I haven't been following Suzuki so I'm not up on this model. Also, what is a fair selling price on this year bike?

Thanks,
Matt

pastfast125
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
look at the upper shock mounts, I'm not really sure of the rest of the points. I think 04 was affected by this too, so ask him if he ever changed the magnesium water pump cover, or changed to a different coolant, because if not, but now hes probably got some major erosion and clogged crap. thats all I can think of.

YFZ450Ridr
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
look at the upper shock mounts, I'm not really sure of the rest of the points. I think 04 was affected by this too, so ask him if he ever changed the magnesium water pump cover, or changed to a different coolant, because if not, but now hes probably got some major erosion and clogged crap. thats all I can think of.

the frame problems was with the 03s, not the 04s. and the coolant problem is with the 05s and 06s i belive.

just check out the frame and subframe, make sure thier not bent. ride it and make sure you like it of course. the 04 is a pretty good year, no problems with that specific year that comes to mind. a good price would be about 4 grand or so.

LuckyRugger
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the advice so far, keep them coming. I think the coolant problem was the 05 & 06 too, but like I stated before, I'm not up on this bike.

42F67N
03-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I just bought a 05 that had like 10 hours on it and itp wheels for 4200

LuckyRugger
03-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Is there an actual way to determine the number of hours on a machine, or is it just from the mouth of the owner?

YFZ450Ridr
03-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by LuckyRugger
Is there an actual way to determine the number of hours on a machine, or is it just from the mouth of the owner?

pretty much the mouth of the owner, but if it has stock tires look at the tread. also, if the frame has stock paint on it, look to see how much is rubbed off from the riders boot by the pegs. check the skid plates see how much wear and tear there is. lots of different ways to tell how 'used' it is but no way to check exact hours.

42F67N
03-02-2006, 04:21 AM
I could tell the sec i seen it ,the dude wasent bull****tin about the hours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/42F67N/newkfx005.jpg