PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 ton pulling Toy Haulers?

EvilMaximus
03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Is there anyone out there pulling a toy hauler with a 1/2 ton truck?..what kinda set up do u have? I'm looking at buying a Weekend Warrior 21 toy hauler, it the light weight version..they said u can pull it with a 1/2 ton truck or suv...they owner says he pulls it with a Tahoe with no problems...Just wanted to get some insight on any 1/2 pullers out there and if your having any problems or what special equipment u bought to help your pull...I'm new to trailers so i don't have much of a clue(yet)...Thx for any help...

coolex
03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
do you have a deisel? and wat kind like dodge chevy ford ect.

EvilMaximus
03-01-2006, 05:37 PM
O-Im sry..i have a 2005 Silverado Crewcab 5.3L 15000

lil400exman
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
You should be alright. I reccomend a transmission cooler if you dont already have one. A electronic brake controller is a must. a 3/4 is best, not for pulling power but for the stronger 4L80E tranny. I know a few guys around here swapped out the L60's (which is what our trucks have) and only a cross-member change.

You should be alright though. Just make sure you use your tow/haul mode and dont be in too much of a rush. That is unless you get a duramax with the 6-speed allison!:devil:

wvspeedfreak
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
There are several things you can do to help a 1/2 ton truck out for towing.First off is if your truck has an automatic transmission put a big aftermarket trans cooler on it.This will greatly help rid the transmission of heat from the added weight of towing.Second is to put a set of overload or "helper" springs on the rear.Generally 1/2 ton springs are pretty soft and the added helpers will reduce how much the truck will sqat when the trailer is attatched and keep the weight bias at a better ratio.Third is to maybe add a freeflowing exhaust system.This seems to give a little better pulling power.Hope this helps you a little :)

wvspeedfreak
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
A electronic brake controller is a must.

Yes,definately.

MOFO
03-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I would also upgrade your tranny and rear end fluid if your pulling alot. Invest in a good synthetic fluid for both - help with the increased heat and stress. I'd also change your engine oil out for a good synthetic if your pulling alot. Something as simple as good fluids in your truck can help in the long run when working them hard.

As mentioned above, heat is going to be your enemy on the tranny.

BlasterEaten250
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
larger gear ratio's help a lot too. We had gotton a new travel trailer a few years ago. Are van could barely pull it. Are van had a small v8 in it (5.0) with an economy rear end (331). So to be able to pull this trailer we did a few things. First we got a K&N filter, along with flowmasters. That helped a lot (and a nice sound to it) but it still wasn't enough. So we replaced the 331 rear end with a 373 rear end ( it think its 373) And that helped a lot. It pulls our trailer pretty good though. Its an econoline 150 by the way. Next we are going to put bags on the suspension so it doesn't sag as much with all the weight. Hope this helps.

cknox88
03-01-2006, 07:48 PM
If i were you i would not run a full snythetic motor oil, use a blend. I work at a fast lube and we have noticed that all the guys who run full the inside of the engine gets alot of scum and build up of junk inside the engine. and as soon as u change it and recheck it, it looks like it was never changed. if you guys that run it dont believe me check your oil right after a change and i gauruntee it will be black. also look at the inside of your oil cap they are usally all covered in nasty looking off white oil/ condensation.

fast_enough
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
No matter what you do, dont put one of them electronic shift kits in your truck, like the B&M, for pulling trailers etc. It will heat your transmission like theres no tomorrow and will fry it. This is coming from experience

hardkoratvmxr
03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I have a 97 chevy z71 ext cab and we had to put load rite airbags underneath it for it to haul anything heavy like our 22 foot camper. but we also have an 88 f150 with i6 and 5 spd manual and it doesnt squat at all with the camper. so i think it mainly depends on your truck. if i were you put the trailer on you truck see how it sits. if it sits ok then your fine just dont pull in overdrive. and if it sags in the rear to much put an overload spring or airbags to compensate for the added weight

EvilMaximus
03-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Thx for all the great tips...I'm going to look into getting an aftermarket transmission cooler, my wife works for an auto distribution company and i get parts for almost nothing...Thx god for extended warranties...i did put a K&N air charger in a few weeks ago..i dig the sound...

ZSK
03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd also reccomend an antisway brake and equalizing bars (transfer bars). They transfer some of the tounge weight through the frame to the front end. Doesn't sag the rear end nearly as bad. A 21' isn't much at all for a half ton. We pulled our 30' trailer with our F-150 for years until a deal on a diesel came along that we couldn't pass up. Keeping the tranny cool and a better towing gear ratio is where it's at.

brad_400ex
03-01-2006, 11:21 PM
hey hardkoratvmxr, i also have a 97 z71 and it squats when i have the trailer on. How much did your airbag setup cost?

MOFO
03-02-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by cknox88
If i were you i would not run a full snythetic motor oil, use a blend. I work at a fast lube and we have noticed that all the guys who run full the inside of the engine gets alot of scum and build up of junk inside the engine. and as soon as u change it and recheck it, it looks like it was never changed. if you guys that run it dont believe me check your oil right after a change and i gauruntee it will be black. also look at the inside of your oil cap they are usally all covered in nasty looking off white oil/ condensation.

:p LMAO.

Have you ever torn a motor down to see the difference between a motor that has run synthetic all its life vs a normal blend? If you did, you would not be saying a full synthetic is bad. The day I saw the difference is the day I've started to run Mobil 1 in ALL of my cars.

You cannot base the quality of an oil by the color. You DO realize that the oil is black due to temperature? The color change does NOT affect the quality of protection. If your seeing that much oil, your not letting enough get out. When I change my oil, I have a hard time reading the dip stick because its so clear.

I guess Porsche, Corvette, Viper and many high end German auto makers have it wrong when they tell their customers to ONLY use a full synthetic.

prepracing
03-02-2006, 04:20 AM
besides things already mentioned that I would get if your gonna do a lot of pulling
transcooler
brake box
helpersprings
I would look into a Hypertech or Superchip tuner for your truck, that will help your engine performance and gas mileage more than anything.
That with a K& N filter ( or something similar ) and a free flow exahust and you won't even feel like your pulling a trailer :macho

ZSK
03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
:p LMAO.

I guess Porsche, Corvette, Viper and many high end German auto makers have it wrong when they tell their customers to ONLY use a full synthetic.

They're wrong if the instructions say to break in the motor with a synthetic. ;) I agree that the modern synthetics protect an engine like no other. I just can't bring myself to pay double-triple for a quart of oil.

Dimick
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
My buddy tows his 21' weekend warrior ultra lite with a Ford E-150 van with the 4.6L. He added a tranny cooler and a power programmer and he says it tows OK, but its a slug up hill. Your C1500 will do fine with the cooler, programmer, K&N, exhaust of your choice and also look into load levers, they distribute the load evenly over the whole truck. Throw a trans temp gauge in there for good measure, if yout tranny still gets to warm look for an larger capacity trans pan. 4L60E's are cheap when you are replacing them like spare tires.