PDA

View Full Version : burn oil

s23599e
03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
my 400ex burn 1/2L in 350km
is it normal or it's a high oil consomation

bmf400ex
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
if you checked the oil when cold then i'd say it a bit too much. not a ton, but its using some. if it was hot then thats why it looked low.

rip-it
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
it's a honda,,,,,,,,,,,it should not use any! my ex never uses any even when road hard and put away wet...............so it is either loose or a valve seal may be worn amd not seating............check your compression #'s and see what might be the problem?..........my old moto $ and the tri moto alll loose vavle seats and smoke bad...........but dont burn out plugs................which only puts oil out the exhaust vavle so it smokes and does not affect the plug, compreesion or motor power.......check it out to be safe

DieselBoy
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
lol i was surprised to find how many 400ex's burning oil incidents were on here. Do a search in the 400ex forum, there's PAGES of them... lol

One thing I reaaaaaaallllllly dont like about the 400ex is that it's air cooled. I love the bike, just hate the air cooled idea. I don't even like the size of the oil cooler, and even where it's positioned.
Keep those cooling fins free of **** or your motors gonna run HOOOOOOT.

JOEX
03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
lol i was surprised to find how many 400ex's burning oil incidents were on here. Do a search in the 400ex forum, there's PAGES of them... lol

One thing I reaaaaaaallllllly dont like about the 400ex is that it's air cooled. I love the bike, just hate the air cooled idea. I don't even like the size of the oil cooler, and even where it's positioned.
Keep those cooling fins free of **** or your motors gonna run HOOOOOOT.
Care to explain what the cause of burning oil incidents are?

The basic design of the 400ex motor has been around since before you were born and probaly one of the most reliable motor in recent history. I don't think you are one to question the engineers at Honda;)

Better get some real facts before you continue spewing chit:scary:

DieselBoy
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
i didnt question any honda enginneering :huh all i did was type burning oil in a search and vua la...................?

What FACTS did I state that were BS? The only thing I said was _I_ dont like the air cooled idea. I never said it's a bad design, or th motor is junk. They are indeed a good, proven motor. I'm sitting here trying to get WTF your on me about....:huh

It's commen sense to know they run hot as oppose to a liquid cooled.

I never said honda's this or honda's that so please EXPLAIN.....

DieselBoy
03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Also,

They run hotter so the oil thins out alot faster. Heat breaks the oil down. There's many factors. Lack of lubrication, the ring's are wore out, the cylinder has become out of round, the taper has gone bad, etc. It's simply just a hotter engine.

7t9cbx
03-08-2006, 04:17 AM
I have a 1981 Cb 750 honda mc. It has 80,ooo miles on it uses no oil I've always used heavy oil ( castrol 20w50 CAR OIL). It has a cooler on it that is smaller than my 400ex. I have changed oil in it about every 2000 miles, I use Mobile 15w50 full senthetic in my 400ex. Thats a personal choice but I like the extra protection. I see guys start their 4 wheelers up and just rip on off with no warm up what soever. That along with lugging around and prolonged high rpm use kill engines