PDA

View Full Version : Important polishing question

hondardr4life
03-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok, I want to polish the cases on my 250r motor. Not the entire thing, just the clutch cover, and the flywheel cover. Now, I have read the post about how to polish, and I have everything. My question is, Can I polish them with the sidecovers still on the motor? I am worried that the paint stripper will eat away at the gaskets or something. I have "zip strip" brand stripper. My plan is to polish those covers, leave the inner cases black, my cylinder is just plain aluminum, and leave my head black. Do you guys think this will look ok or not? I also plan on spraying some high temp black paint on the part of the cover where it says Honda, and then polishing the cover and Honda will be black, and the rest of the case will be polished. Do you think that will look good?

Rip_Tear
03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
That would look good. I don't know if the paint stripper will eat the gasket or not, but I don't think it would, just be careful around it.

wilkin250r
03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I doubt your paint stripper would eat the gasket. The gaskets are already resistant to gasoline. However, you might find it difficult to keep it limited to just your side covers. If you attempt to remove all the way to the gasket with a chemical stripper, some might creep over to your actual cases and remove the paint there, too. Maybe remove most of the paint with stripper, but do the detail work and fine lines by hand.

The stator cover is so simple, why wouldn't you want to just take it off to polish it? You don't have to drain the oil, a few simple bolts and it's off.

As for the Honda logo being black, you might want to rething your strategy. True, the Honda logo will stay black, but your polishing wheel is soft, so it might dip in and out of the letters. As a result, you won't get a clean, sharp edge to your letters, they'll be a little fuzzy and uneven. You'd probably get better results taking your time with a fine brush.

300exQuadracer
03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
i am actually doing the same right now, clutch cover is so simple to take off and plus you probabaly should check the water pump bearings and seals, tip the bike on its left side and take the clutch cover off, you wont lose any oil and its much easier to polish it then

coolex
03-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 300exQuadracer
i am actually doing the same right now, clutch cover is so simple to take off and plus you probabaly should check the water pump bearings and seals, tip the bike on its left side and take the clutch cover off, you wont lose any oil and its much easier to polish it then

got ne pics

hondardr4life
03-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I was planning on taping off my main cases anyways to keep the stripper from getting on them. I didn't really want to take them off because I don't really feel like buying new gaskets. Do you think it will be easier to do it with the clutch/ stator cover off? My motor is already in pieces, so I guess it would be smart to do take them off anyways and check everything out.

300exQuadracer
03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by coolex
got ne pics

:) not yet ;) not untill its completely done then i`m postin

I was planning on taping off my main cases anyways to keep the stripper from getting on them

might not work i`m thinking if the stripper can eat paint its not gonna have any problem eating the tape adhesive just my .02