PDA

View Full Version : Not quite polishing question

wilkin250r
03-01-2006, 12:04 PM
There have been several threads on polishing, everything from simple Mother's polish, to achieving that mirror shine.

However, I've got a new question. Most bumpers, grab bars, and nerf bars come from the factory with a "brushed aluminum" look. It's bright, but it's not a "mirror" shine.

Anybody know how to achieve this finish?

xrxmxcx
03-01-2006, 12:16 PM
if your looking for a brushed look, i guess you can just go along with a brillow pad, or scotch brite pad, i think they would do the job?

it wont be a mirror finish, but they will restore some shine to them and remove any tarnishing

TheFontMaster
03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
if your looking for a brushed look, i guess you can just go along with a brillow pad, or scotch brite pad, i think they would do the job?

it wont be a mirror finish, but they will restore some shine to them and remove any tarnishing

I'm not shure how to get the brushed look, but I can tell you that a brillow or scotch brite pad will NOT get the look you are trying to acieave (SP). All they will so is scuff up the finish, similar to sanding it with 400 or so grit sand paper.

400exstud
03-01-2006, 07:27 PM
I think that they must make that with something near a 220 grit because it is pretty rough. Maybe a buffing wheel with abrasive on it.

wilkin250r
03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Good theories, but honestly guys, think about who is asking this question. I've already thought of those. ;)

Nobody knows for certain?

03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
my guess is they are ran over a big wire wheel. Like a wire brush, but on a big grinder.

300exOH
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I always thought the "brushed" finish was just a result of the extrusion process.

wvspeedfreak
03-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Good theories, but honestly guys, think about who is asking this question. I've already thought of those. ;)

Nobody knows for certain?

If you don't know,I doubt anyone does :)

JOEX
03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
This may or may not be helpful...

Years ago I used to work in an aluminum die casting so my memory may not be as acurate as i'd like it to be.....(there was talk of a connection of heated aluminum and Alzheimer's disease but I don't remember why that is):chinese:

When parts came out of the casting machine they have a dull finish to them not unlike what is seen on an aluminum part that been exposed to the elements for a period of time. Some of the parts that needed a bit more polished look went through the burnisher. Basically a machine that tossed the parts around in a vat of steel media along with a light soapy solution that yielded a somewhat shiny but nearly a polished finish.

After typing this I don't think it was as helpful as I thought it would be:p

If there are any golfers out there that know about Bag Boy pull carts those are the parts I used to make;)

Mxjunkie
03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
take some 600-800 wet sand paper to it.

or a scotch brite pad.

d33pt
03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Use #000 grit steel wool. It will polish it right up.