PDA

View Full Version : cant get rear caliper back on

Arnroofco
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
97 300ex....

Changing rear brakes today, took out smoked pads, opened fluid resevoir compressed piston into caliper all the way after backing parking brake set screw out. Put new pads on and doesn't even come close to fitting. Inside pad has all sorts of room, but outside looks like the metal frame of pad would barely fit!!! Any suggestions? The quad is clean and otherwise well maintained, I've done plenty of brake jobs in my life, never an issue until this mess. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Pappy
03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
try switching the pads, some have thicker pads on one plate versus the other, not sure why but ive seen it often enough to geuss its common place.

secondly, is it possible they sold you the wrong pad, sounds like youve done everything right is why i ask.

Rico
03-01-2006, 12:04 PM
pop the little rubber caps off the other slides within the caliper, not the slides the pads are on but the slides that the entire caliper slides on. Grease them bad boys up and put it back together.

That is if the 300ex caliper is like a 400ex...:confused: I had a front do the same thing recently and that's what it was.

jlhughes750
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
ALSO: don't let the sliders fool you!!! make sure they are lubed and sliding free......are the Honda or a/m brakes?? some a/m brakes are thicker then honda.

if the cylinders pushed back, the pads are installed, and there is room left for the rotor, then i would say it a slider issue!! if there is no room between the pads for the rotor, then the cylinders not pushed back, or there the wrong brakes..... I doubt there the wrong pads, there all basically the same.

Arnroofco
03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
It was the floating adjustment bolt. It was a friend of mines 300ex, I have a 400ex and have never had trouble. There is an allen bolt on the backside of the caliper (towards front of quad) that allows the caliper to move in and out. We adjusted the "adjuster" and the caliper slide back on like it's supposed to!!! I thank you all for the help and hope this helps someone else someday.

I was ready to get out a bigger hammer!!!