PDA

View Full Version : I must have really messed up?????

2004exrider
03-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Ok heres the problem. I just took the carb apart, i changed the needle position and air fuel mixture according to HMF's reccomendations. Second notch from the bottom of the needle and 2.5 turns out on the fuel/air screw. Started it ran it for about a half hour it ran great, didnt bog or anything. Well yesterday i started it to warm it up and it ran good for a minute or two then it started sputering and stalled. I let it sit and started it again a couple mins later and rode it (ran fine). But later on that night i started it and again it ran fine for a couple minutes then it started bogging and sputtering then died. It wouldnt start with out using the choke again but then it would still die a few seconds after that? My gas is on, the tank is full, i'm gonna try a new spark plug but dang man it was running fine before i did any of that. If anyone can help me out please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jimmy

450r51
03-01-2006, 08:16 AM
sounds to me that ur choke is on and that its flooding the engine when its warm already. also turn the fuel screw back a half turn.

curious george
03-01-2006, 10:47 AM
yeah the same thing he said the fuel mix screw defiantly or when you put that main jet in did you drop any little drop of sand in it or did you scrtcha peice of with a flat head or anything becuase that would mess it up also.

04'400ex'er
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a fouled plug or bad gas. or trash in your carb. check the plug first. The AF screw wouldnt cause it not to run if it was only a turn off. It might cause it to have no power on the bottom or run hot but not wat ur sayin.

2004exrider
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Ok, i just got off work and and took her for a spin (8:30pm) and it runs excellent. I got off and seen my quad was peeing, lol, the thing was leaking gas from the overflow. It leaked for a few seconds then quit. Its obviously to rich. Should i turn the fuel screw back in a little. I know the main jet is fine, i changed it a year ago when i put on my exhaust. Any other suggestions?

Jimmy

bozz
03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
If your quad is so called peeing your floats are sticking take the bowl of the bottum of the carb and check them or you might have bent them out of wack alittle thats my guess.

2004exrider
03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
You know, i thought that but eliminated it because it never did that until i changed the mixture screw around and the needle position. The funny thing is when i adjusted the screw i turned it all the way in and then backed it out. It didnt feel like it was backed out more than a half turn from the factory:confused: .
I think im gonna try and turn it back in a 1/4 turn or so.

Thank you for the reply,
Jimmy

Toadz400
03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I would make sure that the float is not sticking, even if it is just for a few seconds. Also, your choke could be sticking. A friend of mine has a 400ex and his choke will stick sometimes. We had it apart and I was messing with the choke and noticed that sometimes it got stuck on the inside wall of the carb when trying to open it. Maybe you should check that out to make sure that's not happening. From what you're describing, that could be it. Just a thought.