PDA

View Full Version : cylinder year ID?

dsaint77
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I searched and prolly didnt enter the right words and could not find out how to ID the year of the Cylinder. I have a honda 250r cylinder. I currently have a long rod motor and I dont know if this cylinder that I have is for a long rod or a short rod.

I had this cylinder a long time ago from my brothers 250r when I was in high school. It has been ported and bored and needs a new bore again.

I dont remember if the machine that he had was an 86 or 87. I remember it being red and white and was mostly stock. The one that I have not is red and white and is an 87.

my engine is a long rod and is factory grey.

This cylinder is silverish but I cant remember if the guy that ported it sandblasted it before putting the engravings on.

I looked for markings on the cylinder but could find none.

Unless I am looking in the wrong spot I have no clue where to look and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

wilkin250r
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
There's no such thing as a "long rod cylinder".

All year cylinders are basically the same, with very similar port timing. The long-rod conversion is done with the piston, not the cylinder. If you have a long-rod motor, you need to make sure you either have a long-rod piston (89 style), or an 86 piston and a spacer plate.

dsaint77
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
ahh ok I was under the impression that the cylinder was different. All I have to do is buy an 87 piston and I am good to go correct?

adam

300exQuadracer
03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
i believe 86 has an A stamped on the exhaust and the 87-89 have a B at the top of the cylinder

hollywood250r
03-01-2006, 07:27 PM
85 and 86 cylinders are basically the same. If it has the stock sleeve it will have a P85 stamped on the bottom of the sleeve. 87s have P87 stamped on the stock sleeve and 88s-89s are the same cylinder with P88 stamped on the bottom of the sleeve. There are some other small differences between the years like porting, the strip of metal connecting the water neck to the intake, etc. The strip of metal was not there on one series of the cylinder.