PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changing

Bighead1
02-28-2006, 07:43 PM
How long do you guys wait intil you change your oil? What type of riding do you do inbetween changes? What type of oil do you use? Please state what kind of quad you ride.

Rico
03-01-2006, 05:56 AM
416ex

20w-50 Synthetic for 5 years now.

Currently use Amsoil.

I change it around every 6 hours. For normal riding I'd go much longer but the only riding I do is racing so it's hammer down for 2+ hours. The oil is never black, nor does it smell burnt or feel gritty if you rub it between your fingers.

I recommend synthetic no matter what brand it is.

desertrats
03-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I run a 2003 400EX

I change the oil every month and I ride extremely hard, especially when I am out doing desert or dunes (mostly what I always do).
I change the oil after every dune trip, because I ride non stop balls to the wall. In the summer I run 20-50w oil and in the winter I run 10-30w oil, I dont run synthetics cause of the price, but if you can afford it buy them they cool way better it seems like and its just plain better for you engine. Also I always change my oil filter when I change my oil. I use Twin Air oil filters, just personal preference, thay all seem to perform the same just dont get that rediculous re-usable oil filter, lol.

just my .02 cents

Rip_Tear
03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Amsoil 20w-50 Synthetic for 3 or 4 years on my 400ex, and I do it depending on how I think I've been on the quad.

Bighead1
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
What about castrol is that good b/c that's what I've been using.

Trevor
03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
I change mine 2 or 3 times a year with honda atv oil. I don't do a whole lot of riding I am what they call a weekend warrior and I don't race at a track.

Rico
03-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Bighead1
What about castrol is that good b/c that's what I've been using.

IT's on par with any and all other petroleum oils. Just don't go buy marked up oil at your local stealer ship. Oil is oil when it comes to petroleum oil. Go to wally world and buy the cheapest stuff you can find, it's all the same.

jdboy
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
If I read right the service mark for oil changes on a 400ex is every 100 hours. That seem like a ton of hours on a oil change. But with that said I change my oil several times a year but only change the filter once. I run Rotella T 5W40 with good results. 2000 EX with a stock engine, knock on wood I guess. Then again I'm not a racer by far, trails and woods riding are it for me.

Rico
03-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by jdboy
If I read right the service mark for oil changes on a 400ex is every 100 hours. That seem like a ton of hours on a oil change. But with that said I change my oil several times a year but only change the filter once. I run Rotella T 5W40 with good results. 2000 EX with a stock engine, knock on wood I guess. Then again I'm not a racer by far, trails and woods riding are it for me.

Why would you not throw a $3 filter in there????

bozz
03-06-2006, 05:30 AM
the only oil i use is 'amsoil' but dont run it on a new engine they warn the motor will not break in i'll switch to amsoil after about 15/20 hours on a new quad or engine.

jdboy
03-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Why would you not throw a $3 filter in there????
Because the recommended service time for a 400EX is every 100 hours. I will not ride that in 2 years so once a year on the filter would be fine for me. Also to get anything from my local shop I'd have to order it. I've only had my quad for 6 or 8 months now and the previous owner said he changed the oil and filter once a year. After reading the manual I found that to be within Honda's recommendations. I'll drain the oil when I notice it to start getting dark. If it weren't for that I'd just follow the manual. I followed the manual by the book on my CR500 on oil changes as well although they were at every 7.5 hours. I figure Honda knows what works in there equipment.