PDA

View Full Version : Help quick! Can't get a-arm off the disk brake bracket...

EX Stud
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey fellas!! I am in the middle of taking my stock a-arms off to paint them up...

I took all the bolts off, but i can not get the piece of the a-arm that connects to the disk brake bracket out.

ps. i did take off the cotter pins and the bolts, just got to get the brake bracket off the a-arm

Thanks

300ex mxracer
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
if you are talking about getting the a-arms out of the spindle, they made a tool to get it out or you can hit it in the right spot with a ball peen hammer.

prepracing
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
that tool 300 was referring to is a pickle fork, its a 2 prong fork with tapered wedge prongs and a handle , you wedge it between the spindle and ball joint and hit the handle with a hammer and it will separate the 2 pieces. Or you can take a dead-blow hammer ( similar to a rubber mallet ) and just hit your a-arms and that also might knock them loose from the spindle

JOEX
02-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Be careful using a pickle fork, the rubber boots on tha ball joints can be damaged easily. A pickle fork is not needed.

The 'trick' is to apply outward pressure on the balljoint stud and firmly but not abusivly hit the spindle with a hammer. There are some pics around here somewhere that show where to hit. I think the repair manual even shows where to hit;)