PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke in my tank for the break in: is it ok?

DieselBoy
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
my dealer said to add 2 stroke oil to my tank so the break in will be well lubed. is this ok or should i abort... i already added it to the tank. Appreciate your response.

wvspeedfreak
02-28-2006, 06:24 PM
If it's a 2 stroke your breaking in it will be ok :)

zeppelin
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
ive heard of people doing this. i would imagine that is would help the rings. the only bad thing is it might cause some build up and i would replace my spark plug after i finshed breaking it in, i also would run it at a very high ratio (like 50:1) and i wouldnt do it for a whole tank, maybe a third or a half of one. but like i said i dont see it hurting your bike other than some extra carbon in your exhaust.

wvspeedfreak
02-28-2006, 06:32 PM
During break in you don't want any excess lubrication to the cylinder walls.The rings won't seat properly.

stalefish_132
02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
it would smoke a bit if you do, i don't bother doing it on four strokes (two strokes yes) but just some regular non- synthetic oil and find a way that you think you shoudl break it in and go for it.

DieselBoy
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I never thought about it causing the ring's to not properely set. Maybe I should Abort. What should I flush it out of the tank with? just gas? or what?

bwamos
03-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Just dump it into a gast tank and save it for the weedeater. ;)

Them fill her back up. The tiny bit left wont hurt anything.

I agree with the others on the 2-stroke oil being unnecessary, and could even make the motor weaker.

These are high precision motors now.. not the old cast iron blocks of the 50's and 60's. There's no need for the extra lubrication.

desertrats
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
if you want to clean your tank out though just put like a quarter of a gallon in the tank and swish it around for a min or two then dump it out

2muchquad
03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
i have done this before in the past with no problems.i only ran a half gallon or so and then i topped it off with normal gasoline.i never ran a full tank of the stuff though.it wont hurt anything,at worst you could foul a plug but just a lil'amount wont carbon up your engine

bmf400ex
03-01-2006, 03:04 PM
drain it back out, it will not run properly with mixed gas. your fresh engine will seat the rings in the first 20 miles or so beyond that its good to go. like already mentioned you want enough lube to not break anyting, but if too much it won't seal as well as it could.

Toadz400
03-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
i have done this before in the past with no problems.i only ran a half gallon or so and then i topped it off with normal gasoline.i never ran a full tank of the stuff though.it wont hurt anything,at worst you could foul a plug but just a lil'amount wont carbon up your engine

It will in fact hurt your engine. The rings won't seal properly if the engine is too lubricated, that's the whole idea of a break-in is to break down those rough surfaces. If there's too much lubrication that won't happen, then your rings won't seal. You'll burn up oil and probably lose compression, so you might as well save yourself the trouble and run straight gas and do it the right way the first time.

2muchquad
03-01-2006, 07:15 PM
i was told this a long time ago by someone older and wiser than i,well i guess these new age baggy pant wearing,tattoo having,nose ring, knipple ringed having younger generation would know better,surely because they saw it in atv action:D

wvspeedfreak
03-01-2006, 07:20 PM
i was told this a long time ago by someone older and wiser than i,well i guess these new age baggy pant wearing,tattoo having,nose ring, knipple ringed having younger generation would know better,surely because they saw it in atv action:D

If you know anything about break-in you know that extra lubrication on the cylinder walls is not good.

And I dont have a nose ring :p

Toadz400
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Put an engine that was broken-in without that extra lubrication against one that was broken-in with the extra lubrication on a dyno and see which one produces more HP/Torque and lasts longer.

DieselBoy
03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Damn, it's a good thing I clarified that. I will drain it and flush it out.......can I use kerosene to flush it??

JOEX
03-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
my dealer said to add 2 stroke oil to my tank so the break in will be well lubed. is this ok or should i abort... i already added it to the tank. Appreciate your response.
You act like you know so much about the 400ex but take advice from the dealer then come here for conformation:confused:

2muchquad
03-02-2006, 06:31 AM
well i guess when most manufacturers call for more oil after a rebuild than after a routine oil change,they must not know what they are talkin about.im so privledged to be enlightened by the backyard hacks on here:rolleyes: :)

Toadz400
03-02-2006, 06:48 AM
well i guess when most manufacturers call for more oil after a rebuild than after a routine oil change,they must not know what they are talkin about.im so privledged to be enlightened by the backyard hacks on here:rolleyes: :)

You know why they want you to use more oil? So that the engine won't last as long and you'll be buying another rebuild kit sooner.

This is why you aren't supposed to use Synthetic oil during break-in, it lubricates too well. But go ahead and listen to your dealership, they know what they're talking about right. I mean, mine told me that you don't need to rejet when adding an exhaust, doing the cam mod, and removing the airbox lid...

EXevan91
03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
lmfao ya thats why i dont go to dealers i have an engine builder in my family my dad and i havent had any problems wiht his rebuilds and i ride real hard rigth now to hard for my 400 now it need a break down nothign really wrong tho just bushing need a lubing.

nakomis0
03-02-2006, 08:51 AM

No kidding you don't need more oil after an oil change, rings are already set. Manufactures are telling you to use more oil so it covers there butt..It will seat that way but there is no need if you do it right.. they are taking extra precautions for the guys like you, that don't know how to do it correctly.

You do not need extra oil for the breakin. If you do its going to take longer to wear correctly and seat the rings right.

If your a moron and don't do proper cool down procedures than extra oil may be the way you wanna go.

Cool down times are the key to breaking in a motor. Beat the h@ll out if it during break in if you want.... just do cool downs.

and obviously don't run it lean... another extra safe reason to say run more oil... people without the knowledge may be breaking the motor in a lean condition.

DieselBoy
03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
You act like you know so much about the 400ex but take advice from the dealer then come here for conformation:confused:

I do do I? That's news to me. I've never heard of this method and thought it might be a good idea until I started thinking about it. What's your deal anyway? You've criticized how many of my posts now claiming I'm saying the 400ex is a bad design and what else? :huh

desertrats
03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
holy crap, all the agruing. he just wanted to know is 2 stroke gas was a good idea or not, not a big argument. yeah and people need to stop giving diesel boy crap. I have read too many post where paople are giving crap for no reason

bmf400ex
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well i guess when most manufacturers call for more oil after a rebuild than after a routine oil change,they must not know what they are talkin about.im so privledged to be enlightened by the backyard hacks on here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by nakomis0
No kidding you don't need more oil after an oil change, rings are already set. Manufactures are telling you to use more oil so it covers there butt..It will seat that way but there is no need if you do it right.. they are taking extra precautions for the guys like you, that don't know how to do it correctly.

You do not need extra oil for the breakin. If you do its going to take longer to wear correctly and seat the rings right.

If your a moron and don't do proper cool down procedures than extra oil may be the way you wanna go.

Cool down times are the key to breaking in a motor. Beat the h@ll out if it during break in if you want.... just do cool downs.

and obviously don't run it lean... another extra safe reason to say run more oil... people without the knowledge may be breaking the motor in a lean condition.

rebuilt engines DO require more oil than just an oil and filter change, but not because of breakin. its becuase there is no "old oil" still left in the cases and head.

nakomis0
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm gonna start breaking in my motor with Slick 50, synthetic, super duper greatest oil on the planet oil.... The rings should be properly seated around the 2nd tuesday of next month.:huh

pman03
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Is this a 2 or 4 stroke? If it is a 2 store you add 2 stroke gas to your tank on a new bike is to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with your oil injection system. That way if there is something wrong with the oil injection system or it isn't primed yet you won't blow your motor.

Toadz400
03-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by pman03
Is this a 2 or 4 stroke? If it is a 2 store you add 2 stroke gas to your tank on a new bike is to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with your oil injection system. That way if there is something wrong with the oil injection system or it isn't primed yet you won't blow your motor.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this. So you put oil in the tank in case the oil injection isn't working so that it won't seize up. Well, how do you know if it isn't working? When it bogs because of all the oil or do you know when you put the second tank of gas in that's straight then it seizes up?

pman03
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I haven't heard of anyone doing this. So you put oil in the tank in case the oil injection isn't working so that it won't seize up. Well, how do you know if it isn't working? When it bogs because of all the oil or do you know when you put the second tank of gas in that's straight then it seizes up?

Well you got a good point there. I guess the only way to tell if the oil injection system is working is take it apart and look. But on a new engine there isn't any oil in the injection lines until it is primed.