PDA

View Full Version : gettin ready to buy a 440ex....

Dr89
02-28-2006, 05:04 PM
^^^ and i was wondering if im gonna find myself rebuilding it all the time. its runnin on a brand new rebuild, up from a 416, and doesnt have many hours but i know the 416 only lasted him one summer of racing. i dont plan on racing and i know he rides his junk alot harder than i do but i dont know if its a common thing to have to rebuild your 440's every summer, doesnt sound quite right to me. i'll try to find out exactly what compression is runnin through it but im thinking its somethin like 13:1, thats a lil more than i would like. i figured all in all though i cant go wrong for $1200 :eek2:

(its only so cheap cause he took off the +4's, axis, lrd, fullbores, holeshots, beadlocks, axle, denton stabilizer, tags, ac nerfs, shrouds, and who knows what else to basically return it to stock, he's rich anyways so he dont need the money :devil: )

it will come with a powdercoated frame and the 440 engine and maybe the lrd exhaust, and for $1200 i will have plenty left over to build it back up but what do you guys think about the engine? will it hold up for me just riding trails and some small local tracks? also am not sure about whether or not he's got hardened rocker arms, valves, etc....but in general what do you all think?

PismoLocal
02-28-2006, 05:26 PM
at 13:1 compression you are gonna be spending xtra money on race fuel, and dont be surprised if you have to rebuild once a year.

4TraxRider
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Factor in race gas, and changing the oil more often. Depending how old it is you might want to replace the crank. At 13.1 you ought to keep an extra head gasket around just incase. Mine liked to blow at least once a year.

Dr89
02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
whats it take to lessen the compression? or is it to late to do that now?

h400exrydr
03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
new piston

Dr89
03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
that number just has to do with the height of the dome on the piston right? so with a new rebuild i could lessen the compression to maybe 11 or 12:1 without a bigger bore?

honda460ex
03-02-2006, 12:51 AM
If you are talking about rebuilding it as in new rings and a thicker head gasket to maybe lessen the compression a little, I wouldn't. It's not going to get you anywhere near down to an 11 to 1 or 12 to 1 compression. Me, I rebuilt mine from bottom up this past year, 440 sleeve, +4mm Stroker crank, and a 13.5 to 1 JE Piston. I'm happy with mine! So far it's been close to a year and I haven't had to touch it besides changing oil, and I race mine on the track all the time. I installed GT Thunder heavy duty head studs and haven't had a gasket problem yet. Of course if you really don't want to run race gas, tear it down and throw an 11 to 1 piston in it. That will get you by running 93. A lot of the dependabilty depends on A.) The Rider, and B.) The Builder. And you honestly need to find out about the rockers being hard welded. If something were to happen and you needed to replace the cam, you would need to know. Some cams say do hard weld, some say don't. And if you do the opposite, there are consequences...more$$$$$

2muchquad
03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
hell for $1200 go for it,if i was close i'd jump on it if you didnt want it.:D you could always put another piston in it with a more "rod friendly" compression ratio.its all on how you ride it and the maintenance you keep that will ultimately decide your reliability.:)