PDA

View Full Version : Welded 400ex Frame

jakslap
02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I bought a used 400ex and just noticed the frame was welded. Does it comprimise the integrity of the frame? The weld is over an original factory weld. Do I need to do anything to it before I go nuts on it (again)?

Thanks,

TheFontMaster
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
It's nothing to worry about as long as the weld is good, and the frame is straight. But you will want to just keep an eye on the weld. If it broke once, then it's obviously in a weak spot, and could break again. The guy that owned it before you did atleast have the fore sight to paint over the weld right?

drifterx
02-28-2006, 10:08 PM
If you ever tear it apart, i'd guesset it, particularly in that spot, and clean the welds up nice, then powdercoat or paint it. Otherwise, like FontMaster said, just keep an eye on it, but it should be ok.

jakslap
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
well, the guy who welded it did not paint it--that's how I notced it. It looks to be a decent weld (scratch that, I know zip about welds).

jakslap
04-01-2006, 02:05 PM
No problems with that weld, but I think I will tear it down next winter and guesset it and touch up all of the welds. Are those guesset kits worth the money?