PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 for woods riding?

aikiman22
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
My best friend just bought a new 05 660 raptor. It is his first new bike ever. Can anyone help me with a good set-up for woods riding. I'm more concerned with suspension and handling for now. I've heard that the 660 raptors are a bit top heavy but as I am really unfamiliar with atvs in general I don't know for sure. Any help setting his bike up would be greatly appreciated.

Racing Rice
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Definately upgrade the suspension. What to upgrade to really depends on his budget.

Super cheap:
Go with YFZ450 front shocks and rear spacers.

Cheap:
Works, Elka, etc recreational shocks (without rez.) and rear spacers or extended axle.

Not so cheap:
Full Elka, TCS, Pep, Axis, iShock, etc. shocks with Rez and ZPS. and extended axle.

You can get the rear shock rebuilt by some place like TCS or replace the whole shock with an aftermarket one like an Elka or something along those lines (more expensive option).

Anything that you do to widen the Raptor will help. The more you spend the better it is going to handle. If he has the money, tell him to go with extended a-arms and good shocks, rear axle, and upgrade the tires.

I wouldn't mess with exhaust or any of those stuff for now, the suspension needs the most help. It has plenty of power, especially for new rider.

tits
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
i put offset wheels on the front of mine and a wider alxe and it handles like its on rails and isnt even close to being as tippy as stock

aikiman22
02-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info, where would the best place to look for the wheel spacers? And does it need both front and rear or just rear?

Racing Rice
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
I personally don't like front wheel spacers, it puts added stress on the ball joints, etc. I bought my G-Force rear spacers from Rockymountainatv, they are really nice. I'm running just rear spacers.

I ran rear spacers with stock front end for a while, it handled lot better. When I added shocks, it was amazing the difference. The front tires kept contact with the ground SO much better. I recently installed +2 arms, I can't wait to see how it handles now.:D

dillin1234
02-28-2006, 06:25 PM
i got some rear spacers for a rappy that came on mine and i took them off if you would be interested in buying them i will sell them cheap. each one gives like 3 inches.

aikiman22
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Rice,

How wide are the G-Force spacers? Thanks.

Racing Rice
02-28-2006, 06:59 PM
1.77 inches for each side. (45mm)

http://gallery.digitaldeviation.com/d/77-1/DSCF0476.JPG