PDA

View Full Version : Magical R... But Now What

Xrider06
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a 250R and I took my top end off because there was a knocking sound. I found out that my piston was cracked and that was most likely where the knocking was coming from. While I had my piston off I realized that when I would turn the crank over in the bottom end the crankshaft actually started rubbing the block but it wouldn't do it consistently. It would do it at different times each time around and it made fine little shavings in it.
This all happened a few weeks ago but when I tried it again a few days ago it is free as can be. It doesn't rub at all now and its as smooth as it should be. What should I do? Should I split the case to try to get the shavings out of it or fill it with oil to try and drain them out or do you think it could be a bearing or something like that. I'm really confused. What could it be???

Old Head
02-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I'd split the case and while its apart check the crank for tolerances.

wilkin250r
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Take off the side cover on the stator side and expose the flywheel. Give it a shake and see if it moves.

It sounds to me like your main crank bearings might be shot.

bwamos
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Take off the side cover on the stator side and expose the flywheel. Give it a shake and see if it moves.

It sounds to me like your main crank bearings might be shot.

agree

Xrider06
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I talked to a local mechanic and he thinks it was just doing it because of the shavings form the piston. He said the right way to get the shavings out would be to split the case and clean them out. He also said you could dump some kerosene or gas in there and try to wash them out.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Was it good enough?

greg_gorrell
03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
yeah sounds to me like its your bearings, but definately get those shavings out of there.