PDA

View Full Version : POR-15 Sterling Silver?

JLanphear
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Anybody used this stuff? Opinions? Pics of the results?

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PrimerPaintsCoatings/Topcoats/STIRLINGSILVER/tabid/124/Default.aspx

Thanks.

-Josh

PismoLocal
02-28-2006, 11:51 AM
i couldnt find any pics of stuff that it has been applied to

yamablaster24
02-28-2006, 04:14 PM
my friend uses it on all his cars when he restores them. I believe it is just as strong as PC and chemically bonds with the surface material. I have never tried silver though, i would order a pint and try it out.

derekhonda
02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
black works good, i would assume any other color would too...

red2004 TRX450R
03-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I use the black with restoring cars!

the old stuff did not have any UV protection and would turn flat.
the new stuff has UV protection and will stay glossy.
That stuff is very strong and once you put it on something its not comming off!!!!
DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR SKIN!!!!

o ya and spray it with a good gun!!!
and make sure you prep real good and have a pro spray it because once its on it on!!

good stuff!! it don't look as good as auto paint!!!

JLanphear
03-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks Guys. I am familiar with POR-15, and that is what I am thinking of doing my frame with, but I was curious what the Silver had looked like because I had never seen/heard of it.

Note: I'm not going to do my frame with silver, but I would like to know what it looks like as I may use it for some other smaller parts.

Thanks again

KWAD GAWD
03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Thanks Guys. I am familiar with POR-15, and that is what I am thinking of doing my frame with, but I was curious what the Silver had looked like because I had never seen/heard of it.

Note: I'm not going to do my frame with silver, but I would like to know what it looks like as I may use it for some other smaller parts.

Thanks again
POR is good stuff - BUT, It WILL NOT retain a shiny finish when being exposed to sunlight!! A frame of a car or truck = NO SUNLIGHT? The body shields the sun.
POR for some reason has a chemical property that doesn't allow it to stay glossy when exposed to prolonged sunlight. I painted my Jeep bumpers with it, then was like WTF... why are they dull as hell - I MEAN DULL. Dull like bedliner dull. I used BLACK - Silver may be better, the dullness might not stick out as bad. My buddies dad who restores classic cars told me why - so don't do it if you want to have a nice shiny frame still in a few months.

03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
POR is good stuff - BUT, It WILL NOT retain a shiny finish when being exposed to sunlight!! A frame of a car or truck = NO SUNLIGHT? The body shields the sun.
POR for some reason has a chemical property that doesn't allow it to stay glossy when exposed to prolonged sunlight. I painted my Jeep bumpers with it, then was like WTF... why are they dull as hell - I MEAN DULL. Dull like bedliner dull. I used BLACK - Silver may be better, the dullness might not stick out as bad. My buddies dad who restores classic cars told me why - so don't do it if you want to have a nice shiny frame still in a few months.

um. someone said they came out with new stuf that stays glossy.

Camaroguy87132
03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
i used black on the rear and the fuel tank of my camaro, the stuff works great

JLanphear
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Yes they have some info on their website. They mention that one of their products will dull if exposed to sunlight, and they recommend putting something called POR-15 top coat on it to retain the shininess.

red2004 TRX450R
03-02-2006, 10:37 AM
ya the original por-15 would get dull if left in the sun!!!

the new stuff will not. at least that's what they say but I only have (the new stuff) on my truck frame. and its only out in the sun 40 hours a year.

I would like to see the looks of the silver.

when dad was restoring his 65 vett years ago they only had the old non UV stuff so he found this other 2 stage stuff like Por-15 with a silver base and gloss black top cote and it worked real good. the base silver is flat. I for get the name of it.

peecout
03-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I used the glossy black on a intake manifold and it was really thick and very glossy. Not sure about the sun though????