PDA

View Full Version : WB, How many Discs...

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Hey, I got my WB exhaust installed last night & was wondering how many discs everyone was running. It comes w/12 & that's what I have left on there. It seems to be running ok & a mild improvement over the stock pipe w/my airbox lid off & a K&N w/prefilter. I upped from 165 dynojet main due to some sputtering & throttle lag to a dynojet main 170. It seems to run better, but I was thinking about going to down to 10 discs to see if it improves the midrange power that I use all the time. WB tech claims 8-10 discs is best & anything else is just for making noise, but I wanted to check around.

I have my dynojet needle clipped on 3 & the fuel mixture screw turned out 3.5 turns per dynojet's instructions. Also I seem to be getting high idle when I turn to the left, I think the throttle cable is stuck under the tank or something (just enough to piss me off & have to take it all apart again).

Anyways, I am below 1000' elevation & looking for some feedback on my setup.

thanks ~ Hawk

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Sorry, this is the E-series S Bend

UglyMotha™
07-19-2002, 11:15 AM
when i first got wb i ran 5 discs with that combo i got the best performance but that was with the stock jetting, but then i droped in a 170mj and put on a aluminum air box with a highflow filter and then worked my way up to 12 discs and it only got better with each one, but right now i'm running it with no discs i'm not sure how it will actually run but i doesn't seem as if i have lost any torque but im' not sure whether i gained any guess i'll find out tomorow

07-19-2002, 01:22 PM
leave it alone the company put 12 for the max of the pipe.plus
I've seen people try to do what you want to do and striped the coils.and if you do becareful putting them in and out.

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 01:25 PM
I called the company & the dude says 8-10 discs, hence my question. But the directions provide a dyno that says it makes peak w/12? So what's the real deal?

Hawk

UglyMotha™
07-19-2002, 01:32 PM
just leave it at 12 you've got the dyno jet kit in, trust me you'll be more than happy with the performance

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 01:57 PM
These guys at WB are motards, I called them again & this guy is now telling me 18 discs. One guy says 8 this guy says 18; well I guess 18+8=26/2 = 13. DAMIT, I am 1 disc short.

LOL ~ Hawk

JabberJaw
07-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by TheChknhwk
One guy says 8 this guy says 18; well I guess 18+8=26/2 = 13. DAMIT, I am 1 disc short.

LOL ~ Hawk

Hahahhaha........Now that made me laugh!!!!!

nakomis0
07-19-2002, 02:24 PM
I think you had it right basically right in one of your first posts.

I think it runs the best with 12-13 disks. I like my power a little more towards the top end. You said you riding style uses the mid-range alot, so I think 8 disks would be pretty good.

Just play around a little. 1 day ride with 12 disks, maybe next day try 8. I never had a problem with bolts stripping or anything, your not suppose to tighten it very much anyways. Just occasionally look for loose bolts. My bolts fell off once at Silver lake, lucky a guy saw it happen and let me know.

BornOnFire
07-19-2002, 02:29 PM
The literature that comes with the pipe states that after dyno testing on the 400 EX stock set-up (with the pipe only-no filter or airbox mods), 12 discs were the best set-up (according to R&D). If you put in a filter, you should be able to improve performance with re-jetting only. I would get it running well with the 12 discs by re jetting and then tinker with the discs later. It's more important to have your carb running properly with WB's recommended setup. Then when you have acheived that, you can remove or install one disc at a time to get that perfect set up.

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 08:48 PM
step 1 remove stocker

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Put on the WB

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Fit & finish

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Fit & Finish #2

TheChknhwk
07-19-2002, 08:56 PM
BTW, this is the best one!

"DAD, THIS THING IS REALLY GONNA ROCK!"

UglyMotha™
07-19-2002, 10:31 PM
ooooohhh i remember when mine looked that pertty but since then it's been ripped off twice and i had to tig the mount back on twice the the discs are all bent up and black and the case is no longer shiny either, but it still looks and sound good i probably just need to keep the rubber down and whats up with those gussets there where the pipe goes into the case:huh i've only had mine 3 months and it didn't come like that, but i guess its all good cause each time mine got ripped off it bent up there (nothing a torch and hammer couldn't fix though) but i guess it's all good just stiffen that up so it'll cause somthing else to break or bend instead:rolleyes:

FAST400
07-20-2002, 03:01 AM
hawk,what kinda sticker is the at the left rear of ur seat.

TheChknhwk
07-20-2002, 05:26 AM
whats up with those gussets there where the pipe goes into the case

It came reinforced like that, apparently they wanted to stop them from breaking:D

hawk,what kinda sticker is the at the left rear of ur seat.

That is a Michigan ORV (off road vehicle) sticker that you have to have to ride on any state land in Michigan. The state's way of soaking you for $16.25 to "maintain trails"

Hawk

Rastus
07-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Id say get your jetting right with 12 discs, then ride it for one day, check your plug to see if its the right color.Then the next day, ride it with 8 and check your plug. If you like the 8 better, then go with 8.

TheChknhwk
07-20-2002, 10:30 AM
ATTN: Ugly Motha - send it back!! I have read a few posts where people have called WB directly & complained about the pipe breaking, cracking & such & WB just sent them a new one. Maybe you can have the same luck. WB warranties this thing for 1yr.

Hawk