PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX on NOS...

Maryland 400EX
07-19-2002, 08:15 AM
I've thought about this long and hard... I'm tired of getting spanked in drag races, especially by this kid wth a sorry azzed CR 125! What a disgrace! When I had my CR 500, I wouldn't even give a 125 a second thought but now I'm getting beat by 'em. Quite frankly, the 400 EX motor disgusts me, not only because of it's never ending valve tapping, but because even with the 440 kit, porting and polishing, pipes, 41mm Keihins, etc. the HP per dollar doesn't amuse me. So I'm figuring that I don't need the power all the time due to the fact that I mostly ride trails, but occasionally I drag race with a neighborhood Raptor, CR 125 and a new Z 400. Let me make one thing clear... The Z 400 IS FASTER than a 400 EX. Period. Anyway, I'm going nitrous so I can blow the doors off these scumbags that laugh as they race past my EX with it's outdated, lethargic slug that Honda calls a motor. I'm looking into a small wet shot of NOS at this time and I'll keep eveyone informed of my progress... I may get flamed for saying this, but I shoulda bought a Raptor or Bombardier to have more to work with from the start in the way of HP... Buying the 400 EX was a mistake horsepower wise but I'll learn to live with it I guess.

07-19-2002, 08:26 AM
damn... wheres vin diesel! anyways i saw in dirtwheeles an while back they had an article on turbocharging both a 400EX and a Raptor the power gains were amazing the turbines were made by HKS japanand were installed by turbotech. check it out i'll find out the month but i know it was this year... i think it was around march, april.... if your lookin to spend alot of money and have a quad that is almost impossibble to hold on to.... GO TURBO!!!
good luck man!

Doibugu2
07-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Yea, it sucks to lose everytime, but if all your doing is getting it for drag racing with freinds, what a waste of money. Like you said if you get NOS, your going to win everytime, so what changes. They are just no going to want to race you then. Why don't you just ask for a 1sec headstart, or what every you need to make it close?

L.Vegas400
07-19-2002, 11:00 AM
here is a turbo 400. the only thing about getting a turbo is, it is so d@mn expensive. but if thats what your after, i guess $$ is no object.

there is also a turbo craptor on here
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp

UglyMotha™
07-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Why don't you just ask for a 1sec headstart, or what every you need to make it close?

ya i can just see my craptor buddy when i ask him if i can start half-way down the drap strip this time, you know just to make it fair and then he'll do this:huh "WTF are you on"

just screw the drag races, take them to the track then show em who's boss

07-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha

just screw the drag races, take them to the track then show em who's boss

I agree,,if ya wanna drag race buy a banshee,,400ex's weren't designed to be drag quads..they MX and XC kings.

RytM1
07-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Maryland, don't get too crazy, even with NOS or a turbo, if you can't ride for sh*t, you still are not gonna win.

I was just up at Silver Lake this past weekend, and put my 416 up against a few Raptors and Z400's in some drags. Guess what, I beat the Z every time, but there were some raptors I beat, and some that I lost too. I chalk a lot of it up to the rider though. Racing a guy on a raptor who is wearing a pair of shorts, button down shirt, and gym shoes either tells me he just bought his first quad, or he forgot all his gear at home. LOL

nakomis0
07-19-2002, 01:49 PM
I think a small 10hp, shot of Nos would be pretty sweet. Your reliabilty would probably go down the ****ter pretty quick.

The only experiance I had with Nos on quads was a guys that had a 25hp shot on his Banshee. He said he rebuilt the top end twice a year.

You would atleast want a stronger, Rod and Crank I would guess?

What is the crank in a 400ex anyways? I know on Banshees you have to get you crank "True'd" for high modded engines so it won't bust apart on you. Is the same true for the 400ex crank? or maybe even tell me what I'm trying to say, cause I might NOT be using the right word or something.

FullBore52
07-19-2002, 02:06 PM
You've gotta get the crank welded up on a banshee so it doesnt twist or separate.

nakomis0
07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
ahh ok welded, thats what I thought at first, then that damn word 'True' cmae into my mind for some reason....

So does a 400ex crank have to be welded?

FullBore52
07-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Im sure you know what truing is, so I wont explain it. Older bikes that have alot of hours on them need to have the crank trued and welded because the crank gets un-rounded (i guess? lol) Say you have a 1990 stock banshee, and decide to build a drag bike out of it, you need to have the crank trued to make it round again. Im not sure that you have to have the crank welded on a 400ex...I think I had mine welded and trued...I really dont remember and I dont know where I put the invoice...but I'm sure I did.

tinytim
07-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Yup, you're exactly right! You should get one of those bigger machines. Hey, how much you want for her; I looking for a good deal.

One_Bad_400
07-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 400EX_Racr_Dude
damn... wheres vin diesel! anyways i saw in dirtwheeles an while back they had an article on turbocharging both a 400EX and a Raptor the power gains were amazing the turbines were made by HKS japanand were installed by turbotech. check it out i'll find out the month but i know it was this year... i think it was around march, april.... if your lookin to spend alot of money and have a quad that is almost impossibble to hold on to.... GO TURBO!!!
good luck man!

yea, i read that article too, but i think i remember it being around 3 grand!!!!

Nausty
07-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
I've thought about this long and hard... I'm tired of getting spanked in drag races, especially by this kid wth a sorry azzed CR 125! What a disgrace! When I had my CR 500, I wouldn't even give a 125 a second thought but now I'm getting beat by 'em. Quite frankly, the 400 EX motor disgusts me, not only because of it's never ending valve tapping, but because even with the 440 kit, porting and polishing, pipes, 41mm Keihins, etc. the HP per dollar doesn't amuse me. So I'm figuring that I don't need the power all the time due to the fact that I mostly ride trails, but occasionally I drag race with a neighborhood Raptor, CR 125 and a new Z 400. Let me make one thing clear... The Z 400 IS FASTER than a 400 EX. Period. Anyway, I'm going nitrous so I can blow the doors off these scumbags that laugh as they race past my EX with it's outdated, lethargic slug that Honda calls a motor. I'm looking into a small wet shot of NOS at this time and I'll keep eveyone informed of my progress... I may get flamed for saying this, but I shoulda bought a Raptor or Bombardier to have more to work with from the start in the way of HP... Buying the 400 EX was a mistake horsepower wise but I'll learn to live with it I guess.

try being stuck with a stock blaster... When the thing stops on you at the top of a huge hill climb.

EricB
07-20-2002, 11:43 AM
sorry i just read your first post. sell the ex and buy a shee if power is your major concern. but you said you do mostly trail riding, but your *****ing about getting spanked by 125s.

CR125Rider
07-20-2002, 04:59 PM
a 400ex isn't really a drag bike, its more of a mx bike. and getting mad about getting beat about a dirt bike is stupid, you can't really compare a quad with a dirt bike, its two totally different things, of course the dirt bike is gonna win, its lighter, less tire friction, and high strung engine. so its kinda hard to get mad about beating dirt bikes, get a shee or a raptor or something for drag racing.