PDA

View Full Version : 300ex rev limiter

bustedknuckle
02-27-2006, 05:42 PM
wondering if any one runs a rev limiter? what brad works best? thought about big gun.thanks

xx3003xrdrxx
02-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Ive heard of those crazy rev limiters that are in them engine things ! :eek2:

Sjorge450R
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx

wtf?

drifterx
02-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx

:confused:

Anything would be better than stock. The rev limiter on there is so low now... I'm getting one this summer, probably a sparks.

Trevor
02-28-2006, 05:34 AM
You mean like a rev box or a rev limmiter increase. The rev limit must be set low for a reason isn't it. Do you actualy free up more power with the higher rpm's or dose the hp peek before the stock limit?

srfootball50
02-28-2006, 05:58 AM
the way i understood it was that rev boxes wont give you anymore power unless you have a high comp. piston and an aftermarket cam full system exhaust airfilter but i believe that they change the power curve and raise your rev limit up and trevor i think you are right that the reason the rev limiter is so low is because the hp does peak and its pointless to rev it any higher unless you have the aftermarket parts that would change where the peak hp is

zeppelin
02-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by srfootball50
the way i understood it was that rev boxes wont give you anymore power unless you have a high comp. piston and an aftermarket cam full system exhaust airfilter but i believe that they change the power curve and raise your rev limit up and trevor i think you are right that the reason the rev limiter is so low is because the hp does peak and its pointless to rev it any higher unless you have the aftermarket parts that would change where the peak hp is your way off, the revlimiter doesnt change the power curve at all, it just adds on to it. and what trevor is trying to say is that on a stock motor you probably dont even have much power in the added rpms. if there is a local dyno near you you shoud go see if the curve falls off before the rev limit or if it looks like it might still be going. then you can determin if you actualy need one.

zeppelin
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
it was kinda hard to explain in words so i got this pic. say the red line is the stock revlimit, you would not benifit at all from raiseing it since the power just falls off.

zeppelin
02-28-2006, 07:06 AM
but if you had a curve like this then it would be very benificial to raise the limiter

Trevor
02-28-2006, 07:25 AM
But with raising the rev limit wouldn't your valve springs be a verry important thing to upgrade. Or is ther no chance of floating the valves with only 1k extra rpm?

srfootball50
02-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
your way off, the revlimiter doesnt change the power curve at all,

im not trying to be a jerk but what i said was they change the power curve and raise your rev limit meaning who ever would make the cdi box would change the power curve and also raise the rev limiter not that a higher rev limit would change your power curve

zeppelin
02-28-2006, 08:55 AM
you can find ones that change the curve, but i am pretty sure that isnt what he was talking about. the ones you are talking about are waaaay more expensive. and i think he is talking about the ones for like $250 that just raise the limiter

bwamos
02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
you can find ones that change the curve, but i am pretty sure that isnt what he was talking about. the ones you are talking about are waaaay more expensive. and i think he is talking about the ones for like $250 that just raise the limiter

It only costs about $75 to get your rev limit incresed on your stock box.

And, yes, it does help. You're not in your peak power curve, but there's still a LOT of usuable power past the stock rev limit.

For example you want to hit your peak power the majority of the time when your hitting it hard through the wooded sections, but when you break out of the woods and hit a long open field straight away you dont want to slam into the rev limiter 1/4 of the way across the field. Even if it accelerates slower past the peak rpm, you still "accelerate" where as the stock rev limit does not allow you to accelerate at all. 20" tires w/ stock gearing = 50mph. Increasing the rev limit by just 1000 rpm (mine is increased by 2000 rpm), takes you up to 57mph. Across a 400ft field, the stock rev limited 300 is going to hit the rev limiter (you're probably already going about 35mph coming out of the woods) at about 100ft and remain at 50mphfor the remaining 300ft. However a 300 w/ the increased rev limit won't hit top speed until about 200ft and by the time the both cross the field the stock limited quad is about 35ft behind the quad with 1000 extra rpms.

2muchquad
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
im curious how mine would run with a few more rpms.but with a 86mm piston and just a stock replacement vesrah rod,i dont want to chance it!:D im sure that would make a nice whole in the cases.with my head mods and cam i KNOW there is more power to be had,oh well:(

bustedknuckle
03-03-2006, 08:43 AM
bwamos , you hit the nail on the head.. thats what i was thinking.im the type of person who likes to get several opinions.we race woods and do fair in the woods but when we get to the open areas the 450s gain up on us.also whats your thoughts on using a lighter piston with just a little higher compresion.also were using a woods cam.thanks for any help...

bwamos
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
If your running stock compression.. an 11:1 piston is a huge upgrade and well worth it. You'll probably want to swap out the mild cam with a more agressive cam to get the full benefit (which you already have).

You'll be very pleased with the results, in my opinion.

This is the next best thing you can do for the motor of the 300ex past the intital pipe/filter/outerwears lid combo.

Ignoring the obvious need for suspension improvments. ;) But for under $200 the 11:1 is a great improvment.

bustedknuckle
03-03-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks bwamos, ive talked to the tecks at our honda shop they say the piston might not be as reliable as stock.will the piston last as long as a stock one ? our races are around two hrs long pluss we are planing to race some gncc races.sorry about the questions we are just looking for reliabilty.thanks.....