PDA

View Full Version : We Raced: Z400 vs. Banshee vs. LT250R vs. 400EX...

freakystone
07-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Me and some buddies of mine got tired of talking crap so we decided to race a number of time. Rolling starts. Dead stop starts. On dirt. On asphalt. And even around a nice track.

Here are the results...

Rolling start: The Z400 and Banshee tied four times with the LT250 about 2 bikes back. The 400EX was about 5 bikes back. This result was consistent all five races.

Dead stop start: The Z400 and the LT250 took turns winning by about a half a quad.

On dirt: The same thing, the Z and the LT won.

On asphalt: The Banshee won by about a half bike.

On the track: The Z and the EX won every time. The Z by 1 to 3 quads. This is a winding, tight track. This proved to everyone that the 400EX is a better handler than the Banshee or LT (obviously). But it also proved that the Z handles equally as well.

If you question the results, you can load up and come over...

07-19-2002, 10:10 AM
are the bikes modded at all, j/w

MichaelS693
07-19-2002, 10:59 PM
i miight be wrong but the banshee should have won in dirt drag if i am correct didnt you say dirt drag?

Nausty
07-20-2002, 12:22 AM
most mx racing is rider skill... I liked the drag results but were they all stock? I didn't think a z was fast enough to beat banshees.

Z400central
07-21-2002, 12:58 AM
stock Z vs. stock shees, its very very close....

New-400ex_guy
07-21-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by hpicrv00
stock Z vs. stock shees, its very very close....

ill second that one. usally the Z wins but depend on the length of race and who gets the bad start.

Poncho
07-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Well if the z is that good there's this kid with one here and at the local 300 ft. drags every weekend he can't beat stock 400's....But maybe it's him... I like the Z alot myself, almost bought one.;)

Derek
07-21-2002, 09:32 PM
The only reason the Z can handle just like the Ex is because suzuki mirrored the Ex when making it. Dont get me wrong its a Nice quad but the only difference between a 400ex and the Z400 is that the Ex will live longer.:macho

freakystone
07-23-2002, 05:52 AM
Wake up and clean the cow snot out of your eyes. Those frame are very different. Yes the handling is similar if not the same. But what did you expect Suzuki to do, say "lets make a quad handle as well as a 400EX but not look at how they did it".

You can call that copying if you want but that would be like Honda saying, "Since Suzuki was the first company to put a forth wheel on a three wheeler and we dont want to copy, we will put two additional wheels on it and make a five-wheeler".

Juggalo
07-23-2002, 10:19 AM
woo hoo i'm glad that lt was kickin some butt in most of those races. on asphalt what was the second fastest bike?

sandman
07-23-2002, 11:49 AM
The z400,s must be faster in Indiana because thats not happening here in missouri the banshee's are spanking the heck
out of the Z400's in the sand and most of the 400EX's are running right with the z400 not that i am questioning your race results just stating what i see here in Missouri......

freakystone
07-23-2002, 11:59 AM
hmmm, sounds like a bunch of guys upgraded from TRX90's to Z400's and havent learned how to ride yet. The comparision is emense, not subtle.

sandman
07-23-2002, 12:09 PM
hmmm, sounds like a bunch of guys upgraded from TRX90's to Z400's and havent learned how to ride yet. The comparision is emense, not subtle.

That could be the case but i dont think so, these guys looked old enough to have families of there own. It is possible that these guys cant ride very well but as i have stated before i dont think it takes the best rider in the world to race in a straight line besides these guys were racing all day they had to improve eventually dont you think? and it wasnt just one Z400 there were three of them there racing. In st joes in Missouri its pretty cool you may have 10 to 15 bikes drag racing at the same time, pretty cool to watch and participate in.... Lots of fun

see ya

freakystone
07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
I am not trying to flame or argue but something is wrong... Seriously wrong... I know of but one time I raced a 400EX and lost.

Someone set my parking brake and I didnt know it. The clutch still worked and I took off. We racd about 500 yds and he beat me by about 4 lengths. I thought something went wrong, then I smelled it. I was so pi$$ed I could have killed the moron. I thought I smoked em' but once they cooled down it was fine. We raced again and I waxed him. It was a stock 400EX so I wont brag.

sandman
07-23-2002, 12:32 PM
oh no im not trying to argue either just fun to discuss what we have both witnessed....

I have a 2000 400EX that i bought used and dont know what was done to it other than whats in my sig but i was beating the z400 by 6 quad lenghts and beating raptors by two quads
i bought my quad from a dealer and they lost the folder to it and dont know if it had motor work done or not...wish i knew

freakystone
07-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Oh, oh, oh... You are in Missouri right? I know what happened. I heard that there was an illegal ring down there where they bought old, used 400EX's for the plastics and stole new Z400's. Then they put the Honda 400EX plastics on the Z400's and sold them as 400EX's.

That must explain why yours is so fast... :D

Just Kidding.

sandman
07-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Oh, oh, oh... You are in Missouri right? I know what happened. I heard that there was an illegal ring down there where they bought old, used 400EX's for the plastics and stole new Z400's. Then they put the Honda 400EX plastics on the Z400's and sold them as 400EX's.

ha ha ha that explaines everything Freakystone.

All i know is my 400EX shocked alot of people including me......

wish we could line em up!

phatswinn
07-23-2002, 04:40 PM
this p[roves that honda could have put a reverse gear in the 400 without the extra weight...

own2424
07-25-2002, 10:43 PM
A Banshee should be winning in ALL those drags that you guys ran. I dont care if it is rolling, stopped, on dirt, or asphault. I dont seee how a Z400 comes so close to a Banshee. I havent raced any Z400's on the dirt, but i know that a Banshee (stock) will smoke a Z400 (stock). I just raced a Z400 with my stock banshee the other day at the sand dunes. That thing was so far back, i coulda stopped in the middle and still won. I dunno, but maybe it coulda been the rider....:D :confused:

New-400ex_guy
07-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by own2424
A Banshee should be winning in ALL those drags that you guys ran. I dont care if it is rolling, stopped, on dirt, or asphault. I dont seee how a Z400 comes so close to a Banshee. I havent raced any Z400's on the dirt, but i know that a Banshee (stock) will smoke a Z400 (stock). I just raced a Z400 with my stock banshee the other day at the sand dunes. That thing was so far back, i coulda stopped in the middle and still won. I dunno, but maybe it coulda been the rider....:D :confused:

well if its a long race then you would slowly pull away cause banshee's are all top end + 6th gear. my buddy with the stock banshee except it had 14th front sprocket and k&N filter. would take turns on who won in a race up boxcar in the dunes. i let him ride it and he was impressed. i rode his bansee and although they are different kinda power they are about the same.

just dont let the banshee guys add pipes
:p

Zero Z400
07-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
hmmm, sounds like a bunch of guys upgraded from TRX90's to Z400's and havent learned how to ride yet. The comparision is emense, not subtle. Hey man! I did upgrade from a trx 90! rofl__The Z definelty beats the 90 in 2nd gear:devil I raced my friends 400ex once and won and the next time i lost cuz the bad start. I'll be racing him again sometime soon, i also raced a 125 w/ FMF exhaust and i barely beat him.

Later

own2424
07-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by New-400ex_guy

well if its a long race then you would slowly pull away cause banshee's are all top end + 6th gear. my buddy with the stock banshee except it had 14th front sprocket and k&N filter. would take turns on who won in a race up boxcar in the dunes. i let him ride it and he was impressed. i rode his bansee and although they are different kinda power they are about the same.

just dont let the banshee guys add pipes
:p

Yes, Adding pipes brings out the REAL power of the Banshee. I'm looking forward to purchasing some Toomey's or FmF's...havent decided yet. I was impressed with the Z400 too. It had a lot of power in the low end, maybe it just felt that way to me because I havent ridden a 4 stroke since i had my 300ex 5 months back?!

07-28-2002, 09:57 PM
Me too, I've beat 2 banshee's and 3 400 ex with my Z but not by much! But I weight 195 lbs and my friends 135-150 lbs and I don't have their experience. But if the race would be more long, the shee's would surely pass in front.

Tomorrow, I've tried a 400 ex for the first time and I must say I prefer a little bit the ex over my Z. I don't know why but I feel more safe with Ex. But I don't regret my Z at all!!!

(Sorry about my bad english) ;)

markeg192
07-29-2002, 09:11 PM
If you're in northern Mo. and want to see for sure just come out to U.S. 36 Raceway. Atv drag racing Saturday nights. gates open at 5:00 pm.
It,s eighth mile asphalt outside of Cameron.Practice is on Wed. night 6-10.
I ride Honda but have to say you Can't beat a Banshee in a straight line. Honda wins everywhere else!