PDA

View Full Version : question about racing mx

zzbudzz
07-18-2002, 11:20 PM
i got a 400ex pretty much stock, besides the required stuff(nerf,kill switch, numbers)my question is should i just wait to i get shocks and tires?or just race what i got ?i guess i should just don't worry about it and race what i got ,huh. bald tires ,stock shocks and all. i did put larger jets and 14 t spocket,this quad crap is expensive!

racer_ex55
07-19-2002, 06:25 AM
You should at least get the tires for now. They will make a big difference in handling. Get some MX tires such as Holeshot MX or the new Razr MX.

zzbudzz
07-19-2002, 02:20 PM
i got some shredders (20x11x9) coming in tuesday,won't do me any good this weekend .i'll just try and take easy in the corners and spin like **** out the gate!:rolleyes:

FullBore52
07-19-2002, 02:31 PM
You jetted up with a stock pipe? Did it help it any?

zzbudzz
07-20-2002, 03:28 AM
yeah it seemed too, i got a k and n filter,drilled another hole on the inside on the muffler ,took off the airbox lid,grinded out the head pipe,took out the choke.some might say i'm full of crap ,but i could tell i gained a little on each thing i did.i think now it hot as **** the 160 main is too big,i'm goin to try 155 or 150?yes i can say"getto"cause mommy won't buy me crap!any body got a cheap slip-on?:D

MxDale71
07-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Just go out there and race. Nobody is expecting you to go out there and do every jump and go crazy. Just have some fun and you will know what modification you will want to get next.

250rmike
07-20-2002, 01:15 PM
u should have got 18in tires if u planned on racing mx

Nausty
07-20-2002, 04:25 PM
I would say shocks before tires but it depends on if your tires are worn at all I guess. I say go ahead and race, don't plan on winnin but you will still do good against modded 300ex's and stock ones and machines of that class. Just save and get some high quality shocks so you know thats gonna be your last set and you arn't buying a half decent set to do the set now to sell them later and take a loss and then buy the same shocks you could have in a little bit longer time.

Sick0
07-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Go out and race. Racing is a lot fun, and you need all the best race stuff to have fun. At southwick there is alot of people that have completely stocks that race to have fun. You should see the number 82 novice fourstroke at southwick, The only thing he has that you don't is renthal handlebars and he come in first or second all the time. He's first in the overall in his class for the year. Some of the quads that he races are really nice quads with all the shocks widen and alot of motor work and even a couple of cannadale moto's.

So racing has alot to do with how much skill you have witch is some thing you have to learn so go out race, have fun and learn. See if you like racing and if you do, buy what you need as you go.