PDA

View Full Version : 250ex axle?

jpconard
02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Is the 250EX axle not very strong? Mine appears bent or hub or rim, what is the easiest way to tell what is actually bent?

This hasn't been jumped that high, have caught a tree a few times with back wheel but not at a very high speed.

I don't know how it could have been ridden hard enough to bend the axle.

How bent is bad enough to consider replacement?

What are the aftermarket options and are they significantly better than stock, or is it worth trying a 2nd one OEM?

spent21
02-27-2006, 12:10 PM
yeah, i bent 2 when i had my 250ex.

put the back end on a block of wood or on a jack and let it idle in 1st gear. you'll notice the wobble. if it's very minor you can press it out or have a machine shop do it.

aftermarket axles are ALOT better than stock, but it just depends on your take if it is worth it or not.

i traded an old set of renthals for one and a pair of old wheels for my second stocker. i knew i wasn't going to keep the bike, so it wasn't worth it to me to spring for a LSR.

jpconard
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I went to LSR website but didn't see 250EX axle. What aftermarket options are available?

Is OEM around $90 for replacement?

I don't really want extra width, but if I go aftermarket and have extra width, should I also have wheel spacers in front to compensate?

BlasterEaten250
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
dura blue makes an axle for the 250. Not sure if you can get the stock length though.

spent21
02-28-2006, 05:59 PM
wait a sec. are you talking about the newer 250s or the old 250x? the 250x is identical to the 300ex almost. the 250ex is the newer bike with the longitudinal engine.

if it's the 250x, then look for a 300ex axle. a buddy of mine got a lsr for his. most aftermarket axles have spacers so you can adjust from +0, +2, or +4, so you can keep your stock width.

if it's an ex, then i can't help you.

sorry.

jpconard
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
It is an EX.

The Dureblue is over $400 off their site.

Stock is $125 from Bikebandit.

If it is bent bad enough it will be straightened first, OEM 2nd.

I could buy 4 OEM axles for the price of Durablue.

I'm starting to think all the OEM axles are weak, off any machine.

If I can ride this without wrecking, slam a few rocks and trees and little jumps and it bends the axle, then that is weak.

I bet the 300EX and 400EX are the same (weak axles).

Do most people live with bent axles?

I can ride my XR250 as hard as I want and if I don't wreck it, nothing will bend or break.