PDA

View Full Version : Best Swingarm skid

TRAIL
07-18-2002, 10:11 PM
What is the best swingarm skidplate to buy?

toby400ex
07-18-2002, 11:26 PM
armadill not too expensive and its thicker than most others

2k2-300exnj
07-19-2002, 09:53 AM
prm has very nice products check them out www.prm-atv.com

TRAIL
07-19-2002, 10:51 AM
What about AC skids? I know the swingarm skid that they make has a small rubber strip on the chain side, similar to the stock skid. My stock skidplate is too bent and the rubber strip rubs on my chain and that makes it squeek unless its covered with chain lube at all times. I am tired of bending it back after everyride!

user101
07-19-2002, 09:15 PM
the ac skids are thin i also have the armidillo skid and it has held up great for 3 months. the skid is super thick to.

oldnumberseven
07-19-2002, 09:38 PM
http://www.proarmor.com/index2.htm

2000ex
07-19-2002, 11:05 PM
I will definitely say PRM.

When I first got my bike I bought swingarm, belly, and a-arm skids from PRM. After 2 solid years of Northeast Rocks on 20in tires, the PRM had seen better days. I bought the Armadillo after reading so much about it, but wish I had gone with another PRM. The mounting holes for the Armadillo are slotted which can present problems down the road. Also I found using the collars they supply a definite negative, as well as the bolts being exposed can be subject to rounding off and needing to cut the skid off. The PRM offered great fit as well as recessed bolts which is a much better design than the Armadillo's.

As for the Proarmor, they are stainless steel and are not only more expensive, but heavier than the aluminum offered by most other companies. I have heard great things about their durability however.

Foxrage
07-20-2002, 09:07 AM
if you bant the best that will last londest get the stainless steel one from protect it will last forever. but if you dont ride in the toughest conditions the others should do fine.

jwisniew
07-20-2002, 05:53 PM
i just got a AC skidplate and its alot better than the stock. im sure ill neva bend it up bad and it only weighs alil more than the stock

TRAIL
07-20-2002, 08:43 PM
I think i will go with armadillo. how much are they?

RideRed400StYlE
07-20-2002, 08:54 PM
my armadillo cost $59.99 i think... i have had it for over a year, and there isnt a bend in it. it is an awesome skid

Nausty
07-20-2002, 11:16 PM
i just got a dg baja rear skid plate a couple days ago if anyone cares. It hasn't seen a bashing yet but it looks like it is pretty tough but its made out of aluminum so I dunno.

Nj400EX
07-22-2002, 01:46 PM
I got a PRM 2 months ago and its trashed already . There's actually gouges taken out of it . Also i have to bend it back with a sledge hammer after every weekend . I'm sure its a damn good skid plate if you're not gonna do any serious rock riding , I'm gonna order up a stainless steel skid , i'll let you guys know how it holds up

NJ300ex
07-22-2002, 06:30 PM
NJ400ex(your name is Rich right?). I am afraid you won't fair much better with a protect or any stainless skid. I completely destroyed my pro tect in one ride. It was at Paragon, which has the same terrain as TC but rockier. I hade to hammer it out with a 10 pound log splitter for a good half an hour or more. Every part of it is still bent. I am thinking of getting another and having a friend of mine weld in some more gussets in the key area's.

You don't happen to know if thier are any memberships left at Tower City do you? I heard they are going to stop giving them out soon then they will recycle non renewed ones. Is it true?

Ex'r Marlin
07-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Yeah, the Paragon ride can be a bit rocky!:rolleyes: I can understand bending your Pro Tect stainless steel skid plate after the way you rode Mike (NJ300ex);) Not only were there some big rocks... but they had some sharp edges as well! We definetly took some trails that were not normally riden on!:macho But we made it through it at a fast pace! Even my PRM at the time got really punished... And I was "not" going as fast as Mike was!! So I think the stainless would hold up better... But maybe harder to bang back into place if it needed to.

Note: Obviously, the bigger the back tires, the more ground clearance you will have. I wish I rode with my 22" tires that day!:rolleyes:

Ex'r Marlin
07-22-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by TRAIL
What is the best swingarm skidplate to buy? My opinion, the Pro Tect stainless steel skid plate. For the money... The PRM. Even though the PRM is aluminum, I found it to hold up much better than my DG Baja skids. I went through 2 Baja skids in the first year running 22" rear tires... Then I got one of those PRMs. It lasted me 2 years. Even though the PRM is still functional, I opted to try the Pro Tech out. One of the benefits of the Pro Tect is that it holds the shine after buffing it... Unlike aluminum can.:cool:

Note: The Pro Tect is heavier than any of the other mentioned skid plates... Due to the material used.

NJ300ex
07-22-2002, 07:07 PM
One thing I don't like about the pro tect skid is that it doesn't cover the back of the chain/sprocket and the rotor. I am sure a bunch of sharp rocks hit it and thats no good. It is especially bad when I was getting stuck on rocks and then would roll backwards and hit them pretty hard. Marlin can vouch for this happening I am sure.

I want to find someone with real experience of the pro armor skids because they seem tough and they have extensions that cover the whole sprocket and rotor. It also covers almost the whole chain and linkage unlike others that stop at a certain point.

hotrodhonda400
07-23-2002, 04:09 PM
PRO ARMOR Awsome quality!!:cool: