PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Popo

Scott Kawi700
02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Beware of Popo

Just thought I should warn all you out there that you are being scammed by this guy. His SO CALLED chrome business, Distinctive Chrome. I say, so called, because if you call having parts shipped to your house in Ohio, then shipping them to a chrome shop in Tennessee to be chromed, then having them shipped back to Ohio were you then ship them to your victims, I’m sorry, I mean customers, then I guess it is a business. Personally I call it a SCAM!!!!! Especially since he in no way owns or has ever owned any part of this company in Tennessee. I know, I called and asked, the guy on the phone almost fell out of his chair laughing. Still want proof, call and ask yourself. This is where he has YOUR parts done.

S & H Chrome Plating & Powder Coating
817 Madison Industrial R
Nashville, TN 37201
(615) 865-0100

This is just the tip of the iceberg with his lies, like being a full time cop, NOT!!!!
I just thought all you fellow ATV riders and racers out there should know he is taking your hard earned money for services he himself is not providing.

02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.clicket.com/partysupplies/images/1DPL2185s.jpg

coryatver
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Where did you find this out? How much is he charging over the place that does it? Maybe he is behind on work so is sending it out.

JLanphear
02-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Interesting....I don't know that I would call it a "Scam", but it is certainly interesting.

02-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Interesting....I don't know that I would call it a "Scam", but it is certainly interesting. I would. If he's passing himself off as the one doing the work, then outsourcing it and making a profit, it's a scam.

JLanphear
02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
I would. If he's passing himself off as the one doing the work, then outsourcing it and making a profit, it's a scam.

"If" that is the case yes.

I don't know the situation so I can't say anything. He would specifically have to say that he's doing the work though, otherwise I wouldn't call it a "scam".

Nothing wrong with outsourcing things and making a profit on them otherwise. That's basically what happens with 99% of the things you buy in one way or another.

Mxjunkie
02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
popo gonna get in trouble by the popos :eek2:

Scott Kawi700
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Where did you find this out? How much is he charging over the place that does it? Maybe he is behind on work so is sending it out.

I traveled to races with him for 2 years and he had me fooled for some time. Till I started checking out some of his stories. Do some investigation yourself if you like. If you own property or a business in Franklin County Ohio you will be on the county auditors web site, go and check it out. And he specifically told me and others he owned that shop in Tennessee.

300exOH
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Sounds like what popo is doing is legit to me. Free enterprise. It's not much different than buying amzoil. An amzoil dealer buys it from the company and sells it to the customer for a profit. It's pretty much the same thing.:ermm:

02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Scott Kawi700
I traveled to races with him for 2 years and he had me fooled for some time. Till I started checking out some of his stories. Do some investigation yourself if you like. If you own property or a business in Franklin County Ohio you will be on the county auditors web site, go and check it out. And he specifically told me and others he owned that shop in Tennessee.
http://www.clicket.com/partysupplies/images/1DPL2185s.jpg

Scott Kawi700
02-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
im from nashville...shall I make a little trip to see him with my friend a baseball bat?

Popo doesnt live in Nashville he lives in Ohio. The company he outsourced to is in Nashville. They are a good company form what I have heard.

02-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Sounds like what popo is doing is legit to me. Free enterprise. It's not much different than buying amzoil. An amzoil dealer buys it from the company and sells it to the customer for a profit. It's pretty much the same thing.:ermm: But I don't think they lie about it and try to pass it off as their own, do they?

300exOH
02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
But I don't think they lie about it and try to pass it off as their own, do they?

You may have a point there. That would be dishonest but not necessarily illegal.

02-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Popo doesnt live in Nashville he lives in Ohio. The company he outsourced to is in Nashville. They are a good company form what I have heard. yah i just deleted my post...didnt actually realize what was going on ....i saw scam and nashville and thought I could so something

02-27-2006, 09:33 AM
You may have a point there. That would be dishonest but not necessarily illegal. No, I agree it's not neccisarily illegal, but it's generally not a respected business practice.

02-27-2006, 09:34 AM
WHO FRICKING CARES! if hes saving you money then order from him, if not THEN DONT BUY FROM HIM!

Bill Fuller
02-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I think you kids need to get a life:ermm: I don't care to who or where Popo sends his parts to be chromed,it's his business.What makes it a scam that this is done?This is common practice in almost any industry.

Scott Kawi700
02-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Sounds like what popo is doing is legit to me. Free enterprise. It's not much different than buying amzoil. An amzoil dealer buys it from the company and sells it to the customer for a profit. It's pretty much the same thing.:ermm:

If that is how you feel that is great. BUT why not just post the name, address, and phone # of the company and let people contact the company directly instead of comming up with another name and having all business go through you. This sport is expensive enough without someone taking a piece they dont deserve!!!

Maybe you dont mind paying him. I just thought everyone should know what they are paying for.

JLanphear
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
If that is how you feel that is great. BUT why not just post the name, address, and phone # of the company and let people contact the company directly instead of comming up with another name and having all business go through you. This sport is expensive enough without someone taking a piece they dont deserve!!!

Maybe you dont mind paying him. I just thought everyone should know what they are paying for.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I frankly don't know any of the story.

First of all....does he claim to do the work himself? If he does, then is it possible that he is outsourcing part of it?

Does he have a relationship with this other company that he is outsourcing the work to? Meaning does he get volume/discount pricing with them?

If he does not actually claim to be doing the work himself, and he does in fact have a working relationship with whoever does do the chrome work, then I don't see anything really "wrong" with what he is doing. People are paying him for a service, the service is being done at the agreed pricing, and they are getting their parts back. It's not really any different than the businesses that sell ATV parts....You are obviously paying them more for the parts than they buy them for.

Now if he does claim to be doing the work (and does none of it)....and furthermore does not really have an agreement with the company he uses to outsource, this in my opinion would then be wrong.

I just think that the Facts need to be told before anybody jumps to conclusions. The author of this post may have all of the facts, and therefore is entilted to his opinion, but the rest of us who do not know the facts should not speculate until both sides of the story are told.

Just my thought.

02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
i bet you bought your 4 wheeler fro ma stealership? they do the same thing popo is doing..they dont make the atv's but they sell them for them...thats what DEALERS are for! I ordered my GTThunder shocks through agressive powersports and saved money. How do you not know it will be more expensive ordering direct through this guy in Madison, TN? you have a lot to learn about the grown up world young one

Scott Kawi700
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
i bet you bought your 4 wheeler fro ma stealership? they do the same thing popo is doing..they dont make the atv's but they sell them for them...thats what DEALERS are for! I ordered my GTThunder shocks through agressive powersports and saved money. How do you not know it will be more expensive ordering direct through this guy in Madison, TN? you have a lot to learn about the grown up world young one

If you only knew "young one". I never had any work done by him. He didnt rip me off. I know him personaly. I would never do this to a fellow ATVer. I thought these boards were to help eachother out not make a profit whernever possible. But maybe Im wrong.

02-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought these boards were to help eachother out not make a profit whernever possible. But maybe Im wrong.

Mike, YOU ARE PUSHING IT WITH ME!!!!
ADMIN

JLanphear
02-27-2006, 10:22 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH how do you think people make money...STFU ur making me mad because of how dumb you are

Dude, "if" Popo is claiming to do the work himself and simply outsourcing it that is wrong.

Also, if that is the case, and the place he is outsourcing it from does not give him any price breaks they wouldn't give to anyone else then that is borderline wrong too. If not wrong, then it's still pretty low.

Again though, I don't know if the above is the case...just saying.

coolex
02-27-2006, 10:22 AM
im jw mixmastermike how old are you because you seem to be calling everyone young

wilkin250r
02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Let's all calm down for a second.

First off, Popo might very well might have a working relationship with this plating company, and get volume discounts or dealer prices. This is VERY common in the business world, and it doesn't make Popo dishonest or a cheat.

For example, XYZRacing may offer A-arms on their website for $425 to the general public. However, their dealers only pay $300.

So ABCDealer buys A-arms at $300, and sells them for $375. The dealer makes a decent profit, and you actually pay $50 LESS than buying from the manufacturer directly.

Unless you have proof that Popo is cheating on prices, then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself. The simple fact that he's outsourcing doesn't make him a crook. I don't know Popo personally, but I'm not about to tolerate slander (or libel) based simply on speculation.

coryatver
02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't think what he is doing is wrong but he should make his customers more aware that he is not doing the work himself and is infact shipping it out. It just does not sit well in my stomach.

bansheeguy77
02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
wow...u guys are blowing this out of proportion. if im understanding correctly hes not mad about the outsourcing...if he had indeed known about the outsourcing before paying for the chroming. he claims popo said he was the one doing the chroming in his shop or house in ohio...when in reality he was sending it to tn, then back without him doing any work except mailing the boxes, and making a profit off of his money. thats where the problem lies...it was fraud i believe doing that.
we all know dealerships dont make yamaha quads, or produce amsoil, or make the utopia sunglasses they sell....come on guys look at the picture painted...not the picture beside it

rbgnwa45
02-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I pity da fool that hustles quad parts :grr:

bansheeguy77
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Unless you have proof that Popo is cheating on prices, then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself. The simple fact that he's outsourcing doesn't make him a crook. I don't know Popo personally, but I'm not about to tolerate slander (or libel) based simply on speculation.

exactly what i was trying to get at....just you said it better haha

Quad18star
02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
As long as everyone is getting their parts done for the price they were quoted and paid , then who the heck cares . He offers the service and delivers you the end results ..... it happens with many companies . I know guys that have snow removal companies and they don't even own a plow ... they contract it out .... just like the example Wilkin gave .

Personally I think it's 100% legit what he's doing .... if people couldn't have called around and found this place in Tn then that's their own fault .( if this whole story is true) .

Just seems like someone is a little upset with Popo about something and wants to try and ruin a guys reputation and business .

02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
old enough to see someone being a complete idiot and know nothing about the real world..

JLanphear
02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Which brings us back to the original question I have been trying to ask all along....Has he claimed to do his own work? If so, does he in fact do his own work and only outsource as needed?

-Josh

Bush0102
02-27-2006, 11:19 AM
on a side note, my local honda dealer had some chrome work done by that same shop for a custom honda cruiser they were building. The guy told me that same shop does quite a bit of work for orange county choppers...so i guess alot of their work is outsourced.

Admin
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I am surprised to hear this news from Scott, and I think he has every right to make it public knowledge. Unlike the rest of you, I personally know Scott and Gary(Popo).

They have been traveling to the races together and have been good friends for the past couple of years, so if I was Scott and found out that Gary wasn't actually involved with the company and only a customer, I would be pissed as well.

Gary has always claimed it to be his chroming business, so if he was lying to everyone that isn’t right, so it does make me wonder about what else he has told me over the years that Scott also brought up.

It isn’t about making a profit, but misleading your customer and friends, and relationships don’t last long on lies.

What a shame, but I am closing this thread because I don’t want to see it get ugly. I will have some questions for Gary at the races.

Pappy
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
wow:eek2:

gary has never told me he did the work hands on, ive known from day 1 he sent the parts to a plater he has a relationship with. ive had many parts done and all were excellent.

now, if gary was telling folks he was hands on then id agree, thats not kosher, but as stated, ive never been told by him that he did the work himself etc.

outsourcing is HUGE in business, and i know of a few powdercoaters that outsource. i have no issue with it, as long as they do not claim to preform the work. in my opinion, if you are dealing with a person and you are thinking they are working on your parts then they should be the one doing the work. if you know full well that person is acting as a middle man then no harm no foul.

im not sure what is going on between scott and gary but it needs to be resolved elsewhere. i hate this kind of stuff on the site.

wilkin250r
02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
outsourcing is HUGE in business, and i know of a few powdercoaters that outsource. i have no issue with it, as long as they do not claim to preform the work. in my opinion, if you are dealing with a person and you are thinking they are working on your parts then they should be the one doing the work. if you know full well that person is acting as a middle man then no harm no foul.

I would take it one step further. I don't think any business owner is obligated to reveal all the details of his business with his customers.

If Gary specifically claimed he did the hands-on work, that's certainly an issue.

However, if no claim was ever made, and his clients simply assumed that he did his own work, then that's their own mistake. I don't believe Gary is obligated to reveal all the details of how he chooses to run his business.