PDA

View Full Version : Is it ported??

hondardr4life
02-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Ok, is there any surefire way to tell if an R motor is ported and polished or not? I have mine apart, and I am kinda of skeptical on wether its ported or if its just stock. I've never seen a stock one to compare it to though... It is very smooth, and the sleeve and the cylinder itself seem to pretty fluch except for in like 1 or 2 little spots. I am gonna be really pissed if I find out its not, because when I bought it the guy said he was sure that it was ported, and because porting isnt cheap, and I'm running out of money fast. Would there be any difference in the color of the exhaust port if it was ported compared to stock??

02-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
because porting isnt cheap, and I'm running out of money fast.

u mean ur daddys running out of money fast? ;)

wilkin250r
02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
There's no "easy" way to tell, short of creating a port map and examining the port timing. You're not going to be able to tell by the color of the exhaust port.

Most engine builders will engrave their name on the side of the cylinder, and possibly a description (high-rev, mid-range). If it is engraved, I would say for sure that it IS ported.

If it's not engraved, the only way to tell is to measure the port timing.

hondardr4life
02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, I was talkin to Rich Hetrick, and the guy who I bought it off of claims that Hetricks did the porting and everything on it. I described everything to Rich, and he said it sounds like it was built a few years ago, and his dad most likely built it. Then I asked about their name being engraved on the side of it, and he told me that his dad never did that to motors. SO I guess im just out of luck, and ill just run the cylinder up to hetricks sometime this week and let him take a look at it, it needs bored out anyways..

And dan, it is me that running out of money, because when I got it my dad said since it was cheap he would pay for tires, and to get the shocks re-valved since thats the stuff it needed. Everything else is comming out of my own pocket..

hondardr4life
02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
BTW, Wilkin, how would I measure the port timing, or would I need some kind of crazy tools to do that. Also, I know one of my friends has a stock cylinder, so if I were to run over to his house, and take my cylinder with me, would I be able to tell just by looking at the 2??

hondardr4life
02-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Also, what about the little piece of metal in the middle of the port?? What would it be like in thickness and how sharp it is. I am just really wondering about this because I am goign to be extremely pissed if its not.

wilkin250r
02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
You might be able to tell the difference, especially if you get something to measure the distance from the top of the sleeve to the port. If you don't have a set of dial calipers, they're only about $20, and would do the job. You'd probably see about 1mm (0.040 inches) difference at least, most likely more.

To actually measure and calculate the port timing, you would either need a degree wheel and measure it directly, or make a port map and calculate it.

If you want to get really complex, here is an article about creating a complete port map.

http://www.macdizzy.com/cyl_primer.htm

This article gets in-depth, and actually figures and calculates port-time area. For what you are looking for, you don't need that much detail, you only need the opening/closing time.

beerock
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
nah you odnt need to measure port timing to tell if a cylinder is ported. all you need to do is look at it. or better yet

take a picture of the transfers intake and exhaust like this.

hondardr4life
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys, from what I can tell from your pics and my cylinder mine looks to be mildly ported. It doesnt look as nice as those ones in the pics beerock posted though. I think its like a crappy job, or a mild port job or something. Who knows...... We'll see what hetricks sais. If its no good then I'll just have him make it good. I might as well do it right and be done with it..