PDA

View Full Version : predator ? good choice

AkFused
02-26-2006, 11:42 PM
i was ridin around a 500 arctic cat and many people said i should race but then it got sunk in a river and totaled so im in the market and i was wonder if the predator was a good quad to race

wolffie
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
race what? gncc, mx, endurance? the preddy is more of trail quad, but can be equiped to race. if anything, the preddy would be decent for GNCC/woods racing style courses.

if you want to race anything else, you are better off with a 450 quad (450r, YFZ, Ltr450)

the preddy is a great quad, dont get me wrong, it would just take alot of money to make it compete against a 450. if you ride aggresively on the trails/jump/free ride/ do any type of "sport riding" the preddy is a great choice!

Flynbryan19
02-27-2006, 01:04 PM
All the 450's are a better choice as a race quad. Its a good trail quad, but atleast the 03' models were not very solidly built.

wolffie
02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah you can very much do anything with pred as you would with the 450's except that the 450's are much more nimble and quicker. that about sums up the pred!

the advantages the pred has over the 450's is the frame is incredibly beefy, it has reverse, and has plenty of torque for trails!

the pred is still a great machine, and can be raced XC with proper modifications! as stated before however, you would put much more $ in your pred to race it than you would a 450!

Alpredator
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I mx my predator and have no problems wining races against a starting gate full of 450s. As far as spending more money to make the predator competive, I am also going to dissagree. I bought my predator in 04 new for 4899 thats when the yzf was going for 6800 so the money I saved got spent on racing accessories, so I have a predator with pep suspension,piped,jeted,nerfs,and kill coard for the price of a stock yfz.

TRX23rider
02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
^^^^good point. i would advise you to get some seat time on a predator and maybe a 450 and see what you like better. racing is more the rider than it is the quad, if you are uncomfortable on your quad you wont have a chance to win.

smokinwrench
02-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Alpredator
I mx my predator and have no problems wining races against a starting gate full of 450s. As far as spending more money to make the predator competive, I am also going to dissagree. I bought my predator in 04 new for 4899 thats when the yzf was going for 6800 so the money I saved got spent on racing accessories, so I have a predator with pep suspension,piped,jeted,nerfs,and kill coard for the price of a stock yfz.

Perfectly said, You guys all treat everyone as if they are racing on a national pro level. Fact is most guys that race, race in 1-3 towns that are close to home. I raced a 400ex all last year with a few engine mods and was spanking 450's all the time. Even spanked a few predators, I know as well as all of you the 400ex should be no match for any of the new quads, if riders were equelly(sp?) matched. Rider is the key best bike in the world with a crappy rider will loose every time.