PDA

View Full Version : issues with mine already

benbuilt4u
02-26-2006, 08:37 PM
i rode today for the first time on it and all was good till the clutch just started slipping like crazy to the point the bike quit rolling after some bewilderment and few freinds with there reliability jokes. i figured the cable had become way to tight. i had to loosen the darn thing up over an inch. never had a cable shrink an inch usually the stretch. im gonna tear it down tomorrow and see it the cable is screwed up or what. dont even have 2hours on it. :(

02-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Not even 2 hours on mine either and 2nd gear is WHINING intermittently. I love this quad and want to keep it but it must prove itself reliable and its not off to a good start for me sorry to say. Hopefully there is a happy ending.

Racing Rice
02-27-2006, 07:26 AM
I don't understand why you guys have to be the first in line to buy a BRAND NEW bike, then complain about issues. It is rare that you ever see a new bike made that doesn't have a problem or two. You know there are going to be bugs. Never be the first to buy a new released quad if you want ultra reliable.

02-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I don't understand why you guys have to be the first in line to buy a BRAND NEW bike, then complain about issues. It is rare that you ever see a new bike made that doesn't have a problem or two. You know there are going to be bugs. Never be the first to buy a new released quad if you want ultra reliable.

If you spend $7k on something it definetly should not have any problems the first few hours of operation. I don't care if its a first year quad or not. Clutch and gearbox problems should never happen during break in. I am not asking for it to be "ultra reliable", just to make it through the first tank of gas without it quit running and without hearing 2nd gear growl and grind.

Flynbryan19
02-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Its just the way it is, face it. You want to complain about $7000 on a first year model? People spend between $20,000 and $50,000 on brand new automobiles/trucks and they have their gremlins too..... You bought the machine knowing full well that it was a "first stab" at the model. If you wanted reliability you should have bought a warranty or waited for the second year model.

Racing Rice
02-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR
If you spend $7k on something it definetly should not have any problems the first few hours of operation.

Your right, you SHOULD NOT. However, the reality is you do. Like Flyin said, it's not just Suzuki or any of the ATV makers. Anything new has bugs, plain and simple. Software, electronics, automobiles there is always the possiblity.

Yes, I agree it sucks and in the perfect world you could spend $7K on a new quad and both of you would live a happy life together, unfortunately it's not a perfect world.

I do appreciate you keeping us posted on the problems you find, but please take into consideration that it is bound to happen. Roll with the punches and enjoy it. Use the warranty you have if need be, and maybe look into getting an extended warranty before yours runs out. It's better to be safe then sorry.

Also, make sure you tell your DEALER about the problems you are having. Atleast that way if something happens you can (A) say I told you so and (B) the more complaints that Suzuki gets, the more they may see a trend in problems that need to be addressed in future models.

Thank you.

Speed_MDS2
02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Racing Rice

There is one problem with your plan. If no one buys a first year model, there wouldn't be a second year model to purchase. And even if there was a second year, it would have all the 1st year gremlins because no one has riddin it yet. So be thankful that a few of us are willing to stick our necks out so that those that wait will have better machines as a result.

badvox
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
There is one problem with your plan. If no one buys a first year model, there wouldn't be a second year model to purchase. And even if there was a second year, it would have all the 1st year gremlins because no one has riddin it yet. So be thankful that a few of us are willing to stick our necks out so that those that wait will have better machines as a result.

great point and well stated.

02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Warranty covers "manufacturers defects" only. Dealers will do anything in their power not to warranty anything. I worked at a dealer and the only thing I ever saw covered under warranty was a 400ex that had a dowel pin dropped in the crankcase at the factory and locked up the motor on the customers first ride. I have seen many other things that were obviously defects that they blamed on the owner and would not cover. Extended warranties are a waste of money. And I don't care what you guys say, my problem is totally uncalled for, building a reliable gearbox is not rocket science.

bwamos
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Warranty covers "manufacturers defects" only. Dealers will do anything in their power not to warranty anything. I worked at a dealer and the only thing I ever saw covered under warranty was a 400ex that had a dowel pin dropped in the crankcase at the factory and locked up the motor on the customers first ride. I have seen many other things that were obviously defects that they blamed on the owner and would not cover. Extended warranties are a waste of money. And I don't care what you guys say, my problem is totally uncalled for, building a reliable gearbox is not rocket science.

That's retarded IMHO. Dealerships should LOVE warranty work. They aren't owned by Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha. They are just licensed to sell and repair their product. If you bring in an ATV for warranty work, they get paid by the factory to fix it. It doesn't come out of their own pocket.

That being said, I wouldn't trust most of them with an oil change.. lol.

Racing Rice
02-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2

Come on, you know what I mean. There are a lot of people that insist on being the first to own the newest, hottest thing at what ever cost. If you are worried about reliability issues, don't be the first one to purchase one. I don't buy first year stuff unless I find leftovers at a good price a year later. By then, most of the issues are out in the air and are atleast common knowledge. It really isn't that hard to understand. :rolleyes: I will also make it a point to purchase extended warranties on first year models.

Like Bwamos said, The manufactuer pays the shops for service work. It definately is not free labor.

benbuilt4u
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
who pissed in everyones wheaties. im not mad. im just posting issues. would guys prefer to assume its perfect? i will say if with a clutch isssue i would not buy a yamaha or a honda. and i ve owned both religously for 17 years. just my 2 cents. this post is to inform not bash.

02-27-2006, 10:39 AM
The dealer can submit it for warranty if they choose, that doesn't mean the manufacturer will cover it, they never do. And when they deny it, you pay for it. Anything other than totally obvious manufacturing neglect is considered "normal wear and tear".

Racing Rice
02-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by benbuilt4u
who pissed in everyones wheaties. im not mad. im just posting issues. would guys prefer to assume its perfect? i will say if with a clutch isssue i would not buy a yamaha or a honda. and i ve owned both religously for 17 years. just my 2 cents. this post is to inform not bash.

Don't fret man, we are not bashing anyone/anything. I hope you didn't think that I was. This is quality conversation.:D

Which 450?
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
That's retarded IMHO. Dealerships should LOVE warranty work. They aren't owned by Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha. They are just licensed to sell and repair their product. If you bring in an ATV for warranty work, they get paid by the factory to fix it. It doesn't come out of their own pocket.

That being said, I wouldn't trust most of them with an oil change.. lol.

Warranty work brings no money to dealerships, companies base their labor pay on their own time scale, which seems like half the time it really takes

250r4life
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
i'm with a lot of the guys in here- i love how people go and pay top dollar to be ginne (i dont know how to spell it) pigs... someones gotta do it, just not me... i try not to be a sucker, and there are plenty of people on this earth that are perfectly fine being a sucker and most of them dont even know it... my older bro is looking to get into quads, and is a bigger guy, and my advice was to get an 05 raptor as opposed to an 06... you wont see paying to be a test dummy...

no offense meant by this- i know a lot of you knowingly purchase the first year, aware of the risk...

Speed_MDS2
02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i'm with a lot of the guys in here- i love how people go and pay top dollar to be ginne (i dont know how to spell it) pigs... someones gotta do it, just not me... i try not to be a sucker, and there are plenty of people on this earth that are perfectly fine being a sucker and most of them dont even know it... my older bro is looking to get into quads, and is a bigger guy, and my advice was to get an 05 raptor as opposed to an 06... you wont see paying to be a test dummy...

no offense meant by this- i know a lot of you knowingly purchase the first year, aware of the risk...

You indirectly call those that bought the first year Model "suckers" twice and dummies ounce, why? Why not just say your not comfortable buying a quad without some info about its reliablility. That sounds alot less offensive and says basically the same thing in 1/4 the words. ;)

benbuilt4u
02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life

this post point at your the sucker. a raptor is a bucket of bolts no matter what year you buy. ;)

02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
this post point at your the sucker. a raptor is a bucket of bolts no matter what year you buy. ;)

LOL

250r4life
02-27-2006, 05:06 PM
i'm not a sucker- i bought a bike that the engine was 100% original for 16 years, and even then it was worked on not cuz it had to but because i wanted to... i think you're just mad because now you are questioning your recent acquisition of the lt...
i dont think it is a question of comfortability... i feel that anybody who buys a brand new machine without doing so knowing that it is likely to have bugs, is a sucker... to some people having the new machine justifies the expense of the bugs, to others, they buy and are just dissapointed....

say what you want... its hard to talk mess about the R (for any rational non ignorant ATV rider)...

BuB400
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I bought a 1999 400ex the first year they were out and never a problem. No sucker here. You got to be willing to take a chance or your just dead.

02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
The LTR performance wise(engine/suspension) is hands down the best production quad ever built. Yes I have owned or ridden extensively every sport quad made, and I had a Laeger/LRD full race 330R that I would put up against anything. I still think the LTR with some tuning and goodies is the best ever. The frame is stout, and I think a gusset kit is a waste of money. All the work they did to lower and centralize the mass worked, it handles great and the front to rear balance is perfect. With the lid/baffle removed and CB this is the fastest "stock" motor period, I don't care what anyone says.. it is strong. With porting, cams, pipe and remap it will absolutely rip. I also thought long and hard about buying a first year quad, or a Suzuki at all for that matter. But I thought it was the best quad for the money, even if you plan to build a $15k full on MX racer I think the LTR is the best starting point. That being said I am dissapointed and concerned about the reliability. It quit after only 20 minutes of riding. I found the throttlebody clamps did not even have screws installed and the TB popped out. After fixing that less than 45 minutes of riding after that 2nd gear is now WHINING loudly on decelleration. Off to the dealer tomorrow for repair(better warranty it). I will give it another chance when I get it back because I absolutely love the performance of the bike, but if there is another major problem nearby I will let it go and ride red. I hope not.

k&k_400ex_82
02-27-2006, 07:33 PM
when my brothers crank bearing went out on his trx 450r honda got him a brand new one at no expense. so they lost money cause then they had to sell that 450 as used. so i would think suzuki would at least replace parts and fix it for ya.

250r4life
02-27-2006, 09:01 PM
i am not trying to stir up a bunch of wasps, just saying them everybody should know when they are buying a brand new quad they are paying to be guinnie pigs... they should know it... i wouldnt wish a crappy or unreliable quad on anybody, i know how it sux to have somn break down keep you away from riding...

motox450r
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
to answer your other question ace. you should have waited and got a white one. lol those yellow ones were built on monday's and friday's. lol. go rip your dealers a.s.s. and good luck

benbuilt4u
02-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by motox450r
to answer your other question ace. you should have waited and got a white one. lol those yellow ones were built on monday's and friday's. lol. go rip your dealers a.s.s. and good luck

dont jinx the man. but yeah i waited for white oh wait thats all they had and thats the color i wanted :blah:

02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by motox450r

Thanks, I feel better already.

motox450r
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
ace knows i'm just messing with his head. i was thinking about a getting one for my wife. i'm starting to get nevous. like ace said if ya spend 7g you want something for your money. not problems that's for sure. suzuki took their time about putting this bike out to, so they did quite a bit of testing. at least you would think? maybe not enough? look at it this way it couldn't even be close to a 1st year piece of craptor. lol

motox450r
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
lets face it there is problems with the yfz and the trx. polaris i won't even go there. so we are talking all these quads are suspect to having problems 1st year or not. i wouldn't lose any sleep just yet.

02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm still awake

02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll keep you posted on what happens.

450rider79south
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
i rode today for the first time on it and all was good till the clutch just started slipping like crazy to the point the bike quit rolling after some bewilderment and few freinds with there reliability jokes. i figured the cable had become way to tight. i had to loosen the darn thing up over an inch. never had a cable shrink an inch usually the stretch. im gonna tear it down tomorrow and see it the cable is screwed up or what. dont even have 2hours on it. :(

lemon?

Ride1Rob
02-28-2006, 07:49 PM
You guys are being alil harsh on them for buying these bikes. One thing that noOne has brought up is that these bikes aren't designed one day and all manufactured the next. Suzuki had been testing this bike for months to see how it would hold up in certain conditions. They've been testing this bike for awhile now. I don't care whether something is in it's 1st year or 5th. Man made items sometimes are crap when they leave the factory. I got my YFZ after it had been out for 4 months and have had no problems w/ my motor. There was another guys bike that seized up after a few hours of riding. He bought his YFZ after I got mine. 1st year or not NO bike should crap out w/in the 1st couple mins/hrs/days of riding. Normally that's due to a malfunction from the factory. It's hit and miss w/ any bike of any year you buy. It took Yamaha 2yrs to change the YFZ... and the 06 still has some issues straight from the factory :rolleyes:

bwamos
03-01-2006, 07:10 AM
IMHO if something goes wrong you want it to blow in the first 20 hours of riding. Why? Because theres no way on gods green earth they can blame you for the failure. They pretty much have to fix it. ;)

AceLtz
03-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Very good point. This weekend im going to beat the hell outta my ltr to make sure nothing happens. :devil:

450Racer
03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
i would not imagine that this is an ongoing problem for every LT-R produced. there was an army at Glen Helen of them and I know nothing of gearbox issues. however, it is a bit ridiculus that they exist. you can't have a "race ready" quad if 2nd gear sounds like getting my friend got his 450 stuck inbetween gears after a bent shift fork. i think it's pretty immature how some people are handling this. it was an informational post, not a "you suck" cause Honda is better than Suzuki thread or along those lines. the LT-R is obviously one of if not the best race quad ever built. time will tell us the truth.

03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer
i would not imagine that this is an ongoing problem for every LT-R produced. there was an army at Glen Helen of them and I know nothing of gearbox issues. however, it is a bit ridiculus that they exist. you can't have a "race ready" quad if 2nd gear sounds like getting my friend got his 450 stuck inbetween gears after a bent shift fork. i think it's pretty immature how some people are handling this. it was an informational post, not a "you suck" cause Honda is better than Suzuki thread or along those lines. the LT-R is obviously one of if not the best race quad ever built. time will tell us the truth.

Maybe thats whats wrong with mine, slightly bent shift fork. It sound like the mesh on the gear is not right or the gear is rubbing. You have to get the bike hot for it to do it and its intermittent, but when it does it its loud and it doesn't stop until the quad rolls to a stop and if you pull the clutch it makes no diffrence. I have heard of a 3 others having gearbox problems also so its not just me. Its at the dealer now, ride for 1 hour down for 2 weeks. LOL I'll try to roll with the punches.

Racing Rice
03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Ace were you able to get it to make the noise with them standing there? What did they say about it when you took it in?

03-01-2006, 10:43 AM
The service manager wasn't there that day and I live 2 hours away so I could't come back and I dropped it off. Most dealers don't want customers riding on their property. If they call me and say nothing is wrong trust me I will double time it up there and show them.

Racing Rice
03-01-2006, 11:07 AM
The service manager wasn't there that day and I live 2 hours away so I could't come back and I dropped it off. Most dealers don't want customers riding on their property. If they call me and say nothing is wrong trust me I will double time it up there and show them.

No doubt man! It's just nice to be there when it makes the noise that way you are both on the same wave length as to whats wrong. Good luck, hopefully it is just something stupid simple.

fmfracing5
03-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Are you running it hard, are you forgetting the break in process lol. just wondering because most people dont think of breaking in a quad when they buy them brand new and then give false info on forums such as this one, and say they broke it in when there lieing. not say that you didnt break it in jsut giving a suggestion.

03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by fmfracing5
Are you running it hard, are you forgetting the break in process lol. just wondering because most people dont think of breaking in a quad when they buy them brand new and then give false info on forums such as this one, and say they broke it in when there lieing. not say that you didnt break it in jsut giving a suggestion.

Are you a brain surgeon?

AceLtz
03-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Im guessing it is a bent shift fork. Which would explain the noise. Its only probably slightly bent because you can still get into gear right? I think the same thing happened to the other guy who messed up his 4th gear ice racing.

03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by AceLtz
Im guessing it is a bent shift fork. Which would explain the noise. Its only probably slightly bent because you can still get into gear right? I think the same thing happened to the other guy who messed up his 4th gear ice racing.

I always use the clutch, never powershift, and babied it during the hour I got to ride it and wonder how it could be bent already. All I can think of is it sat on the dealer floor for over 2 week and maybe a customer put it in gear and rocked it back and forth and messed up something. I'll just have to wait and see.

benbuilt4u
03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
I always use the clutch, never powershift, and babied it during the hour I got to ride it and wonder how it could be bent already. All I can think of is it sat on the dealer floor for over 2 week and maybe a customer put it in gear and rocked it back and forth and messed up something. I'll just have to wait and see.

any word on yours? i checked my oil today and it smells bad of burnt clutch. still cant explain how my cable became and inch shorter. but im gonna change my oil and then possibly get new cable. see how that goes and if the clutch has issues ill get new plates. at least there easy to get to. looks like maybe a 1 hour job.

Which 450?
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Perhaps this is a first year fluke? Like the 2001 yamaha raptor trannies, and the first few z400's frames and axles.

LuckyOxygen
03-04-2006, 08:52 AM
My second gear starting whining just like ACEOUTDOOR is saying his is. This is not kool at all! ACE, have you got any word on yours yet? I hope the dealership fixes this...

03-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Sorry to hear that my man. No word yet on mine still waiting. I suspect from other peoples problems a bent shift fork, but if thats what it is I am a little worried it will happen again unless they offer updated parts because I literally had less than 1 hour on mine. Did they make the tranny parts out of Chinese pot metal? I love the performance of the LTR and want to keep it, but if I get it back and it does it again I'm goin to sell it before I put alot of money into aftermarket. Its funny I was worried about injection problems only to find out it has a weak gearbox. Shame Shame Suzuki.

03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Is your noise intermittent?

LuckyOxygen
03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by intermittent? I know it is really making me unhappy. I didn't have maybe 6-7 hrs on mine till it started. And I did break it in correctly!

Which 450?
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
intermitten means, not all the time. He was asking if he made the noise all the time (constantly), or just sometimes.

LuckyOxygen
03-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Just sometimes, it has to be pretty warm it seems like...

Mxjunkie
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Jesus christ these things have more issues then most beat up quads :o :p

LuckyOxygen
03-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Yea, well try paying 8 grand for one then having it happen....NOT KOOL

Mxjunkie
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah man I know, I was going to look into one but I figured I'll wait till they get the bugs sorted out, suzuki has some bad luck releasing things, the z400's had chitty frames and a list of other things, the rmz-250's had over heating problems, kinda had me worried so I decided to keep the shee :p

03-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah mine has to be warmed up and rode for 20 minutes before it makes the noise.

LuckyOxygen
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Mine is the same. This is some serious bull!

400grl
03-05-2006, 06:41 AM
I hate to say this guys, but if it's a bent shift fork (and YES they can be bent from the factory- I have seen it personally (not on a Suzuki though)- I am a warranty admin and have worked with all the bike manufacturers!) then your chances of getting it covered by warranty are going to be slim, unless Suzuki REALLY steps up to the plate. They will say "operator error" - saying you landed on your shifter and bent it........or something like that. And from a manufacturer's point of view, who's to say you didn't? I'm not saying you did....like I said, I've seen a bent fork in a quad that has never even been ridden....so....it can happen....I'm just saying.....tranny issues.....RARELY covered. (although my hubby had his 01 Raptor tranny replaced under warranty - I think hell froze over that day.....)

And for everyone bashing these guys.....what is the deal?? I'm glad they are stating their issues.....everyone wants/needs to know what's up with these LTR's before they go plunk down $7 for one! Suzuki doesn't have the best track record for race quads.....(it was more than just a FEW cracked frames on the Z400 - those things cracked like eggshells) - if it makes you mad to read that these things aren't perfect, then don't read it- but these guys certainly have the right to post information without getting hammered - if I were you I'd be saying THANK YOU for keeping us posted!!

jason14x
03-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Hmm, Interesting . Well I agree with 400grl on a few points but a lot of it will also come down to your specific dealer. I know my dealer well enough where if it was internal or something major they would take care of it or at least meet me halfway. But as 400Grl said if there is a way out of taking blame most manufacturers will try to get around it or offer to pay for some of it before all of it.

There are exceptions to this rule . Suzuki did finally start owning up to the problem on the Z 400 frames and actually replaced quite a few same with the axles. I know Yamaha had to own up to the Raptor tranny problems eventually too., Cannondale ...well they went above and beyond(proabably why they went bankrupt too) Best thing anyone can do is keep hounding the dealer about the problem. IF it is a design flaw, if it is happeneing enough they will HAVE to eventually fix it and if that happens usually a reacall comes out. Keep letting the dealer or go right over them to the manufacturer. If they dont know about a problem they cant fix it to make it better!

Lastly theres always the better business bureau and Lawyers. But as I have said before make sure its a LEGITIMATE complaint before you drag an ambulance chaser...ooppps I mean lawyer into anything . Remeber the squeaky wheel gets the grease! hey you paid good money for the machine so make them hate seeing you so much and hearing from you that its easier for them to fix it!

LuckyOxygen
03-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Anyone know how i can contact suzuki directly?

benbuilt4u
03-05-2006, 03:56 PM
my cable keeps getting shorter. so im thinking whatever problem im having is clutch related. im gonna tear it apart next week.

jason14x
03-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Thats really weird about yours......Cable shrinking never heard of such a thing. Id bring it to the dealer if I were you first! then if they try and make you pay then do it yourself !

J.

450Redrider5
03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
all i can say is that you should of got a honda:cool:

OutCast
03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 450Redrider5
all i can say is that you should of got a honda:cool:

Nothing like adding insult to injury... These guys have enough to deal with.

spudss
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Well you have to remember that he is only 15.. Common sense hasent kicked in to STFU..

450Redrider5
03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
yeah im only 15 but im smart enough not to ride a piece of ****

AceLtz
03-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Your 15 and not very smart at all. Just another ignorant person who wants to think that everything else is crap compared to what he has. Just stay out of this forum then, cause no one wants to come and read your BS

TRXDresh
03-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Don't listen to that 15 year old looser. I am a Honda rider, and I as well as pretty much everyone else who has ridden a quad have had some sort of problem. I am sure that Suzuki will take care of the problem. Regardless of these issues, the Zuke is a bad-a machine. I would gladly put one in my garage. The 450 honda has had some internal engine problems, the Yamaha has had problems, and so will the Suzuki. I bought a first year TRX450r, and everything worked out fine. In a couple months, you will look back on this and realize it wasn't that big of a deal. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

spudss
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
The thing I dont get is WE are all QUAD riders.. It shouldnt matter what quad you ride.. If you ride a honda,suk,yamaha,what ever.. If you dont like a machine then dont post.. It is a personal preferrence.. I am a former honda owner (never owned anything else) I chose to buy the LTR because I like what it offers..

If you want to be ignorant and post stupid chit prepared to be flamed because you ignorant post are not needed..

bombsquad54
03-11-2006, 11:30 PM
my neighbor bought his 2006 ltr last week, and his is doing it in second gear also, cold or hot, dont worry guys if enough of them do it, suzuki will stand by there product, even if it kills them, just like cannondale, but suzuki has the funds to back em'. his noise is REALLY loud, i drag raced him on my lsr310r and i was able to beat him, but im a better rider and im on a 2 smoke, he has the yosh exhaust, cherry bomb and kanN filter, i love the suzuki, the 2007 model will be my next quad for sure, ill keep ya'll posted on the tranny. . .

juicey55
03-12-2006, 07:43 AM
i took mine to the track 4 times and out and exhaust on and cherry bomb and it runs great

GE4x4
03-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by spudss
The thing I dont get is WE are all QUAD riders.. It shouldnt matter what quad you ride.. If you ride a honda,suk,yamaha,what ever.. If you dont like a machine then dont post.. It is a personal preferrence.. I am a former honda owner (never owned anything else) I chose to buy the LTR because I like what it offers..

If you want to be ignorant and post stupid chit prepared to be flamed because you ignorant post are not needed..

This bashing ain't nothing, try owning a Predator or Outlaw. We get bashed by allmost everyone in which most have never riden one. If most would worry about rideing and not what others ride, this stuff would not happen. :mad:

turtleboy
03-12-2006, 10:19 AM
so has anyone taken their quad to the dealership to get warranty work done?

DezSled
03-12-2006, 06:21 PM
There seems to be afew owners of the lt-r that have experienced problems to some degree or another. I read one owner had his throttle body come off. If such a thing happened to me I would have taken a picture of it to document the problem. Another owner and others have experienced tranny noises. I have read about this for at least a couple weeks. Not one of these owners have posted about them taking their lt-rs back to their dealer for any sort of explanation. Not one. Not that I think their lying, but wtf get some proof of the problem. And post something that the dealer has been notified and is doing something about it. Instead of posting here, something a dealer cares nothing about.
If I bought a car and experienced a problem of any sort, the first place I;d be going to is the dealer. I did and I have.
Soooo... how about it lt-r owners w/ problems, can you post a dealers explanation of your problem and what the warranty covers? Or are these just teenagers on a thread making up stuff?

motox450r
03-12-2006, 07:42 PM
sorry for your problems guys hope that everything works out for ya. i ride a honda and love it. but not to get off the subject. i like to congratulate doug on his overall at the gatorback. great job doug!!!!

jwick07
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about when you mention the "cherry bomb" Pics please

Jersey450R
03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
Anyone know how i can contact suzuki directly?

your have a better chance of seeing god my friend.

BSTURDIVANT
03-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Our LTR doesnt have enough time on it to find many problems but do know that any quad that has "clutch cable shrink" will find it is just clutch wear that takes out the cable slack! Slipping the clutch on any 4 stroke will do it. A friend of ours has a 450R that has had clutches replaced 4 times- found that he wasn't checking clutch adjustment ( slack at the lever)!
Some will have clutches that last forever and others that pop the clutch to do wheelies or ride like a 2 stroke will not get any life!

03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I called today and they said nothing is wrong, they cannot get it to make the noise. I said ride it again and get it hot and the noise is so loud you can't miss it. Like I said before, these shops will do anything they can to avoid warranty work. This quad has 1 hour on it, its not my reponsibility to rebuild the gearbox myself on a brand new quad. And I am not goin to continue riding it till something breaks and the whole tranny explodes. Suzuki should step up to the plate and fix their problems, these aren't isolated incidents there are quite a few new LTR owners with tranny noises and problems.

Racing Rice
03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I called today and they said nothing is wrong, they cannot get it to make the noise.

Typical service response. That is why I said make sure someone hears it when you drop it off. That sucks man.

kbass24emtp
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Thats BS. I'll bet they only rode it around the shop once. You think since Suzuki has been developing the LTR for three years this should never happen. Just goes to show us that WE do the R&D now.

bombsquad54
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Our LTR doesnt have enough time on it to find many problems but do know that any quad that has "clutch cable shrink" will find it is just clutch wear that takes out the cable slack! Slipping the clutch on any 4 stroke will do it. A friend of ours has a 450R that has had clutches replaced 4 times- found that he wasn't checking clutch adjustment ( slack at the lever)!

I slipped my clutch on every 450 i ever owned, it takes a L O N G time to wear the clutch to were you have to adjust it.

450rJam
03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
someone said the ltr is the best and maybe the best ever made ? hahaha.........after the short time they been out, thata may be a little premature. I doubt ace will agree , at least until they fix or back it up.

tooth&nail
03-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I agree when you buy a new machine , 1st yr or not , these little things should have been found and fixed in the R&D stage.
I bought a $120,000.00 machine last year(NOT A QUAD,although it does have 4 wheels) with a lot of the same type of problems i.e. transmision,torque converter,elect.monitoring problems,stiff suspension ,ect. 2 pages of stuff that I documented and gave to the dealer and MFG'er they started saying I was the only one having the problems and telling me to "try this" to fix the problem when it didn't work "try that", I was the R&D and discovered and fixed many of the problems. I finally went to a very large sales/maint. meeting and began listing all my problems in front of about 150 prospective customers , they had 5 factory guys at my business the next day and we got all of them but one fixed that day.
So yes it does pay to make some noise when you have a legitimate problem.

tido450
03-21-2006, 05:46 PM
all i have to say guys is good luck dealing wit suzuki. i highly doubt they will help you out

ScooterBike
03-26-2006, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR
[B]Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I called today and they said nothing is wrong, they cannot get it to make the noise.

Ace, got the same problem/noise. Started within the first 3h only got 10h on it now and got the noise about 4 times - same simptoms as you explained. Gonna inform the dealer tommorow...:ermm:
had it for 3 weeks now, 1 of only a few in South Africa at the moment :D
still a great quad!!!

DOHC
03-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
I bought a 1999 400ex the first year they were out and never a problem. No sucker here. You got to be willing to take a chance or your just dead.
yea but the 400ex is a pretty basic quad air cooled, sohc, not to much electrical, the quadracer 450 on the other hand dohc, efi, liquid

benbuilt4u
03-29-2006, 09:46 AM
my problem has ended up clutch related.

zr7cat
04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
If you spend $7k on something it definetly should not have any problems the first few hours of operation. I don't care if its a first year quad or not. Clutch and gearbox problems should never happen during break in. I am not asking for it to be "ultra reliable", just to make it through the first tank of gas without it quit running and without hearing 2nd gear growl and grind. I agree with you on that for sure.

CFM Performance
04-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Rode mine for about an hour last week. Yes, the first hour of operation. I got to hear the infamous "2nd gear whine" everyone is talking about. WTF?

ScooterBike
04-20-2006, 11:55 PM
i havent had the "2nd gear whine" again since the first oil change... :confused:

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, after about 4 hours riding time, today I heard the tranny whine. it was in first and second... Stops of course when shifted into neutral, and doesn't resume until a few more minutes of riding when put back in gear. I will do the first oil change this weekend and see what happens.

Anyone else notice problems getting it to start and stay running, after the engine is warm? Another member on here said it happened with his quad too. When this happens, I found if you move the high idle lever to the starting position, it then starts fine, and then I move the lever back to the normal engine warm running position.

Quadprorider
04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
After the first hour of riding at quarter throttle I changed the oil to Amsoil 10w40 synthetic along with a new z400 oil filter(exactly the same)

In have yet to hear ANY noises and it runs perfect with no whining or grinding.

Another trick that I have found when turning the bike off after the engine is warm and you go to start it up is to give it a LITTLE bit of throttle and its starts up perfectly and instantly.

By the way..... I am not sure what kind of oil it comes with from the factory but I am sure it's just something to fill it up with. If I were you guys I would change that shiit out after the first hour so that you can get some good quality 10w40 oil in there.

I hope helps......Nick.

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Quadprorider
After the first hour of riding at quarter throttle I changed the oil to Amsoil 10w40 synthetic along with a new z400 oil filter(exactly the same)

In have yet to hear ANY noises and it runs perfect with no whining or grinding.

Another trick that I have found when turning the bike off after the engine is warm and you go to start it up is to give it a LITTLE bit of throttle and its starts up perfectly and instantly.

By the way..... I am not sure what kind of oil it comes with from the factory but I am sure it's just something to fill it up with. If I were you guys I would change that shiit out after the first hour so that you can get some good quality 10w40 oil in there.

I hope helps......Nick.

I agree, never know what oil was put in it on setup. I figured after my first 4 hours, I would change the oil and filter. One question... Isn't synthetic bad for the clutch plates?

Also, makes sense about giving it a little throttle to start when the engine is warm. I was doing the same by moving the high idle lever.

I'll see what happens after the oil change... it's strange, doesn't sound like a mechanical noise... No grinding. Just a high-pitched whine.

Thanks for the info, Nick! :cool:

Quadprorider
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I agree, never know what oil was put in it on setup. I figured after my first 4 hours, I would change the oil and filter. One question... Isn't synthetic bad for the clutch plates?

Also, makes sense about giving it a little throttle to start when the engine is warm. I was doing the same by moving the high idle lever.

I'll see what happens after the oil change... it's strange, doesn't sound like a mechanical noise... No grinding. Just a high-pitched whine.

Thanks for the info, Nick! :cool:

As far as I know synthetic is fine for clutches. I used Red Line synthetic in my Cannondale for a LONG time and I never ever replaced the clutch plates and nor did I have ANY slipping.

Since putting the synthetic in my LTR I have yet to experience any whining or slipping. The only bad thing that I have heard about synthetic is that it's not good for break in which was the reason why I changed my oil after an hour of riding(talked to many builders and they all say 15 mins easy, let it cool down, change the oil, then beat ther hell out of it!) But I will be sure to let you know if I do hear anything ''wrong'' with using synthetic in the LTR.

Your welcome for my opinion lol,
Nick.

ScooterBike
04-23-2006, 06:59 AM
had a XC race yesterday. Engine stolled a few times on tricky sections and then takes a few seconds to start again. Normally it starts immediatly... any ideas?

Quadprorider
04-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ScooterBike
had a XC race yesterday. Engine stolled a few times on tricky sections and then takes a few seconds to start again. Normally it starts immediatly... any ideas?

Air filter dirty?

Radiator clogged up so it was over heating(the fan was coming on right?)

Idle not high enough(should be around 1750 to 1950)

Did you have the idle choke on? Just wondering.......

ScooterBike
04-23-2006, 03:01 PM
overheating maybe, was very muddy with slow forest sections...

aroracer72
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
lol

What do you consider breakin in. Cause if you say i drive it nicely but go riding it off the showroom floor then thats not breaking in.

But as far as your clutch problem....thats odd. You prolly got a freak part failure, cause all ive heard wrong(and im hunting for problems to make fun of these quads) is the rear linkage breaking.....2nd gear whinning(which hasnt really resulted in failure of anything) and now this. I bet this is just a luck of teh draw and you have a freak problem.

I mean, did you check oil levels before riding it???...or did you change the oil and put synthetic in...or something odd???

BTW you all better not be breaking your engines in with synthetic oil, cause thats a no no.
CHAD

aroracer72
04-27-2006, 09:39 AM
And BTW yes synthetic is bad for clutches..it makes them slip. I dont know if these engines have seperate oils..or shared oil, but if its seperate, run non synthetic wet clutch tranny oil.....and if its shared get a special motor oil that also says wet clutch protection.....soo you wont have slippage problems.
CHAD