PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Truccks

keller45
02-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I love these things they'll pull anything!!! Im just wondering though are they really cheaper then Gas? There supposed to get better fuel milage but diesel is more expensive here

Rico400
02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
dont know the exact numbers, but i think its about equal. cost more, but better mpg. my friend has one and he hasnt really noticed a difference in the amount of money going towards diesel from when he had a gas truck.

keller45
02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
i think the difference is if you put a big trailer on a gas truck it would suck fuel...but not so on a diesel

LTZ400rider
02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
diesel use to be cheaper, and should be. it takes less to refine it, but its supply in demand, as soon as my dad bought a diesel it went up 30 cents more than gas, that was about a 60 cent jump

TheX1992
02-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
diesel use to be cheaper, and should be. it takes less to refine it, but its supply in demand, as soon as my dad bought a diesel it went up 30 cents more than gas, that was about a 60 cent jump

Use to be cheaper here too. Gas is 2.34 and Diesel is 2.54.

nosliw
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
i filled up in shelton @$2.80, highest price around. but, on my way home to auburn, i got 22mpg. it's worth it.

or start making your own fuel @ roughly $0.30 a gallon.

once you go diesel you'll never go back.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=big&p=3915

prepracing
02-26-2006, 11:02 PM
they cost more to service......oil change ( 15qts )/fuel filter change

nosliw
02-26-2006, 11:05 PM
dmax holds 11quarts, cummins about the same, not sure of 6.0

but look at it this way, you only need to change the oil every 6-7K compared to the gasser's 3K

fuel filters are like $20 and they are every 10-15K, so yea, they are more expensive in that regard.

i think the main difference is the initial cost. the dmax/alli was something like a $5,000 option for me.

prepracing
02-26-2006, 11:12 PM
OH yeah....just hope you never have to buy spark plugs for one cause they are high dollar items and really hard to find :blah:

04raptor
02-27-2006, 04:39 AM
who cares bout gas those trucks can put out some horsepower!!!!!!

quader400
02-27-2006, 08:26 AM
OH yeah....just hope you never have to buy spark plugs for one cause they are high dollar items and really hard to find diesel's run on glow plugs...

make so bio diesel and drive around for free

derekhonda
02-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by quader400
diesel's run on glow plugs...

Did you seriously not get his joke?

nosliw
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by quader400
diesel's run on glow plugs...

diesels dont run on glowplugs.

hell, the cummins doesn't even have any.

hondaguy2
02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Diesels are really not worth it unless ur drven alot of miles every day. We have the 6.0 and just short trips of about 10 or 15 miles each day my dad drives kill the mileage. Only gets like 15 on mileage. And when we go ice fishing if u get a really cold nasty day it wont start its so cold, because of the fuel geling up. If u drive quite a buit everyday and have to pull a trailer diesels rock. Love the power of it too cant beat diesels for pulling stuff.

keller45
02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
but are diesels better for the enviroment then gas??? im not a tree hugger im just wondering :D

hondaguy2
02-27-2006, 02:33 PM
idk they do smoke when you start them up quite a bit more than gas vehicles so i dont think its good for the enviroment. I dont realy know

nosliw
02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
short trips my dmax gives me a steady 17mpg. highway i get 21-22mpg.

they are better for the environment, because they are more efficient than a gasoline engine. by contrast, my friends dads chevy 3/4ton 6.0 gas gets about 13-14mpg in the city.

they smoke on startup, sure, white smoke. as in condensation. gassers do that too.

they are worth it in every aspect you can think of, imo.

mine smokes a little more than normal, but that cause i put some power to it :devil:

nosliw
02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
also, about the fuel gellling. it has to get COOOOLLLDDD for that to even become an issue. run a cheap $5 additive that'll drop the freezing point the about negative 50 degrees F

AtvMxRider
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
they cost more to service......oil change ( 15qts )/fuel filter change

Not really because they don't have to be serviced as often.

AtvMxRider
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
diesels dont run on glowplugs.

Some of them do

parkers30
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
On the question about environmental effect Diesel 5-10 usedto be significantly worse for the environment. They did and still do produce a large amountof carbons and NOx gasses, since th new emissions reg is 2005/07/10 they have cleaned up very dramtically, 2010 will be a huge step

nosliw
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Some of them do

i'm talking lightduty p/u diesels (6.0/5.9/6.6) what run on glowplugs???

the ones that do have them use them to start, and depending on a few things stay on a little while after the engine starts / continue cycles

gbcap
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
almost all fuel companies put an additive in the fuel during winter months so the gelling thing is a non issue.

it doesn't like to start in cold weather...but it isn't any better/worse then gas motors. you can plug deisels in so they keep the oil warm during the cold nights. plus you heat the glow plugs up before start up and you can't/don't do that with gas motors.

deisels for the most part get better gas milage then gas motors in equal size. you can pretty much get more power out of deisels too. the pull so much better and the torque numbers are outrageous.

the cost of deisel is still high for one reason alone...yes it is cheaper to make, and it should be less then gas...but watch as spring comes, it will go back down. fuel #2 is the same as home heating oil is someplaces and VERY close to what everyone uses. they keep the prices up in the winter to make more money, cause poeple dont really shop around for another way to heat their house when they already have oil. so they just bend over and pay it. so the companies keep fuel prices up during the winter to make more money.

hondaguy2
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
o i didnt even know there was an additive to keep it from geling but when we went fishing seriously it was -26 in the morning. Later that day my dad brought it out and had a hard time starting it because its kind of hard to plug in a diesel in the middle of no where on a lake :ermm:

nosliw
02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by hondaguy2
o i didnt even know there was an additive to keep it from geling but when we went fishing seriously it was -26 in the morning. Later that day my dad brought it out and had a hard time starting it because its kind of hard to plug in a diesel in the middle of no where on a lake :ermm:

think that's bad, try starting a 6.2 or 6.5 in cold weather.

glowplug heat cycles work for most, not for those :rolleyes:

stalefish_132
02-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by hondaguy2
we have the 6.0 and just short trips of about 10 or 15 miles each day my dad drives kill the mileage. Only gets like 15 on mileage.

thats because its a ford:blah:

gbcap
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
thats because its a ford:blah:

i'd rather be cummin' then strokin'

stalefish_132
02-27-2006, 06:55 PM
the cummins is a bullet proff engine, just everything around it.

D-Max all the way:devil:

we were driving through the rocky's last week and we got passed but a druramax with a slight lift pulling a 30ft trailer full of cattle doing 95mph UP HILL! some old farmer trying to make it back to the farm in a hurry:eek2:

gbcap
02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
lets not start THIS war. haha. they all have thier qualities and faults. i liked the cummins cause of the price compared to chevy and ford. not to mention the fact that it was hard to even find a deisel chevy this summer around here. isuzu couldn't make enough motors for them, so they had to keep turning people away.

ONEBAD400
02-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
i'd rather be cummin' then strokin'
but i would rather be stroked than rammed

NTPRacing#19
02-27-2006, 07:00 PM
deisels kickass all around, they run forever.

deisels on the other hand do not run off any type of ignition. glow plugs are used to start the engine. compression in the cylinder ignites the fuel. diesels run anywhere from 17-1 to 22-1 compression. thats why they knock, with all that pressure something has to go knock knock. an intresting fact about deisels i did not know is that the rpms are controlled by fuel delivery, there is no butterfly in the intake to control air flow like in a regular unleaded gas motor where they are controlled by air delivery.

you guys ever hear of a "runaway" truck. this term was used back in the old days of truckin. Oil takes along time to burn off. so when a deisel use to get a whiff of its own oil it would runaway uncontrolably, you could yank wires, turn the key off, do whatever to try to turn it off. but it wouldnt die until all the oil was burned out of the cylinder, by that time the motor either blew up or you got lucky and it stopped. just somethings i wanted to share about deisels that yall might find intresting

gbcap
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ONEBAD400
but i would rather be stroked than rammed

touche

nosliw
02-27-2006, 07:28 PM
to be strokin' or rammin' you have to be as hard as a rock ;)

and yes, runaways do happen. but you have a better chance of being struck by lightning 4 times in a row while being eaten alive by a great white shark in lake michigan.

natural gas pipeline along an interstate starts leaking. diesel takes a big 'ol whiff of it. yikes.

NTPRacing#19
02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
haha yea i never thought of that either. actually i brought that runaway thing up cause i heard of a case of that in a 6.0 ford recently

Titanium
02-27-2006, 07:55 PM
i saw a cummins diesel the other day that had a bumper sticker that said "stroke this...".

LTZ400rider
02-27-2006, 08:04 PM
duramax diesel take 16 quarts i think, but u also get 10 thousand miles on an oil change.

i just found out out cummins are straight six's how the hell?

also whats the runaway thing all about?

alsoooooo instead of the pedal hookin up to a butter fly it hooks up to an injector??

my dad went to mexico so i drove his duramax all week :devil: 6 speed auto allison tranny, topped it out 100 mph at 3000 rpms lol, then i guess the injectors shut off

the autos are cool cuz u put it tow mode and the transmission brakes, but manuals are cool cuz u can engine brake and jake brake

gbcap
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
yeah....cummins does it with 6 and the 'other' ones have to do it with 8.

they actually make an exhaust brake for the auto cummins now too.

my 05 cummins takes 15 quarts...but i don't stretch it to 10k...i normally do it around 6-7k and a bit before that when i do alot of tow/hauling. i would rather pay the few bucks for the oil and filter then prematurly wear down the motor.

nosliw
02-27-2006, 08:14 PM
duramax diesel take 16 quarts i think, but u also get 10 thousand miles on an oil change.

errr... no. 11 quarts.

i just found out out cummins are straight six's how the hell?

six in a row makes 'em go! awesome engine that cummins is.

also whats the runaway thing all about?

nothing to worry about

alsoooooo instead of the pedal hookin up to a butter fly it hooks up to an injector??

it isn't hooked to anything. flybywire. the movement of your foot moves an electronic sensor, which injects more fuel. more fuel equals bigger bang, and bigger bang equals more rpm. pretty simple, but semi-accurate

my dad went to mexico so i drove his duramax all week :devil: 6 speed auto allison tranny, topped it out 100 mph at 3000 rpms lol, then i guess the injectors shut off

they are governed from the factory at 96mph i beleive. maybe 94mph. he must have a tuner or programmer that modifies that. there are three kinds of governers, the one that doesnt like the rpm's to go past 3250, the one that doesn't like you to go past 94mph, and the one that shuts off fuel at a certain rpm.

the autos are cool cuz u put it tow mode and the transmission brakes, but manuals are cool cuz u can engine brake and jake brake

jake brake? not a very cheap or realistic option with p/u diesel engines. you're thinking exhaust brake.

bigbadbrad
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
all big truck motors now adays are all inline 6's cat cummins mack volvo and detroit, the pedal is not hooked up to any thing, it is hooked up to a throotle postiton sensor and it sends an electonic signal to the ecm which then controls the injectors, the injectors did not shut off at 100 mph, all gm pick ups, the newer ones at least, top out at 97mph, the durramax propell a truck at much faster then 100mph

also the company "JACOBS Brakes" does not make engine brakes for pickups, or an of the smaller diesels they use exhaust brakes, and you can have a jake brake on an automatic, eaton now makes an eletornicaly shifted 13 spd, 9 spd, and 10spd tranny they have two versions, one that you still have the clutch two start and stop, and one that has no clutch at all and you can still order the motors with a jake brake for these trucks,

and did you know that the worlds fastest pickup is a dodge dakota with a 5.9 cummins in it

LTZ400rider
02-27-2006, 08:33 PM
errr... no. 11 quarts.

six in a row makes 'em go! awesome engine that cummins is.

nothing to worry about

it isn't hooked to anything. flybywire. the movement of your foot moves an electronic sensor, which injects more fuel. more fuel equals bigger bang, and bigger bang equals more rpm. pretty simple, but semi-accurate

they are governed from the factory at 96mph i beleive. maybe 94mph. he must have a tuner or programmer that modifies that. there are three kinds of governers, the one that doesnt like the rpm's to go past 3250, the one that doesn't like you to go past 94mph, and the one that shuts off fuel at a certain rpm.

jake brake? not a very cheap or realistic option with p/u diesel engines. you're thinking exhaust brake.

i must of been goin down hill i dunno it was definetly above 95 mph, whats the diff between jake and exhaust and 6th gear wouldnt budge past 3k rpms, but lower gears when u floor it go up to 3200

also i know the runaway thing is nothin to worry about but how does it work

bigbadbrad
02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
ajake brake is an engine retarder, the "jake" brake is a name brand,other brands are PAC brakes, and detriot makes their own i think, an ehgine brake opens up the exhaaust valve and lets the compersion out of the motor

an exhaust brake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe, usually after turbo and when it closes it increases backpressure enough that the motor cant let enough air out so it slows it down, and then inturn slows you down you can now get an exhaust brake for the ram cummins from the factory

nosliw
02-27-2006, 09:01 PM
lets talk n/a diesel for a second

diesels take in the same amount of air on every stroke. rpm is based soley on how much fuel you inject. if the air you are taking in has it's own fuel (natural gas, for example) when it's compressed, it's going to want to detonate. severe stresses are placed on internal components, and if the mixture is right, keeps the engine running till the 'fuel' is no longer being brought it by the air.

NTPRacing#19
02-28-2006, 06:20 AM
yea ive got a Volvo dump VD model, i forget the model of the motor but she cranks 465hp. Straight six and man that some***** rooolls. its cool to see a big truck motor all apart, the cylinders and pistons are huge!!!

250rider1
02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
diesels all the way. my dad just got one because we are gonna start towin a lot more. Its an 04 ford 6.0 with a banks 6 gun. the thing hauls. it looks mean too. gotta 300 lb bumper and a 18000 lb winch on the front with 4 piaa lights and warn fog lights. bagged in the back and dual procomp shocks up front. i love leavin little rice burners in the exhaust when they think they are fast. most people dont realize how fast you can make a diesel.

Glamis400ex
02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Someone told me when I was debating getting my diesel...Once you go diesel, you'll never go back. I'll NEVER NOT have a diesel truck. I have an 87 toy pick up for work though too.

Glamis

Vin Diesel
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
did somebody say Diesel??

bigbadbrad
02-28-2006, 11:34 AM
lets talk n/a diesel for a second

diesels take in the same amount of air on every stroke. rpm is based soley on how much fuel you inject. if the air you are taking in has it's own fuel (natural gas, for example) when it's compressed, it's going to want to detonate. severe stresses are placed on internal components, and if the mixture is right, keeps the engine running till the 'fuel' is no longer being brought it by the air.

that is why they like either so much:D

nosliw
02-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
that is why they like either so much:D

ether? lol, :D

HAVE to use starting fluid on this old 6.2 we have though :eek2:

DieselBoy
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
The one, god awful downside to the diesel engines is REPAIRS. Pricing parts alone will make you crap yourself at the parts desk (:eek2: HOW MUCH?!?!?!) but with maintenance, and luck you will get alot of trouble free miles... I pray mine does not have injection system problems, the thought of buying replacement diesel part's is (honestly) scarey.

LTZ400rider
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
what does opening the exhaust valve open really do that lettin off the accelrator and hitting the brakes doesnt?

and would exhaust braking put stress on ur engine

and whats makes the truck make the farting sound, detonation?

nosliw
02-28-2006, 10:58 PM
what does opening the exhaust valve open really do that lettin off the accelrator and hitting the brakes doesnt?

well the whole point is to aid in using your service brakes. slows down the engine when locked in gear, which slows it down, so you don't have to ride your brakes

and would exhaust braking put stress on ur engine

not bad. more stress on your turbo, but the makers of the EB take that into consideration and they are okay.

and whats makes the truck make the farting sound, detonation?

uhh....? not sure what you mean. turbo barking kind of sounds like a fart...

hoopd450
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
i like diesel pickup trucks for the same reasons as everyone else. the pro's greatly out number the con's. but the main reason i like them so much is because they hold their value so well. sure they might cost more than a gas truck when you buy them. but you can drive them 100,000 miles and still have a great truck with alot of live left in it, thats still worth a good chunk of money. when you buy a gasser and keep it more than a couple years, you might as well just keep it forever because they usually loose their value so quickly that you'll be upside down in your new truck.

to make a long story short, diesels are a much better investment.

just my thoughts

DieselBoy
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Just pray your injection system never ****'s up. :)

nosliw
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Just pray your injection system never ****'s up. :)

new crappy dry diesel. everyone with a common rail should be runner an additive. not bosch's fault, it's the environmentalists fault.

****in' hippies :grr:

DieselBoy
03-02-2006, 11:44 AM
A-men brother....What additive you run?

nosliw
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
powerservice whitebottle.

might change soon though, huge additive study almost done, just waiting for results. (www.dieselplace.com)