PDA

View Full Version : porting

fast raptor
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
i am thinking about porting my own head on my raptor 660. i have just about every tool out there and i have a dremel and will have lots of parts for it. i am more thinking of just polising it and doing a bit of porting. is it worth it? do i port both sides or just the exhaust? whats the best tip to use on the dremel?

fast raptor
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
come on guys there is lots of people here that no what there doing, help a brother out.

JOEX
02-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by fast raptor
i am thinking about porting my own head on my raptor 660. i have just about every tool out there and i have a dremel and will have lots of parts for it. i am more thinking of just polising it and doing a bit of porting. is it worth it? do i port both sides or just the exhaust? whats the best tip to use on the dremel?
Anyone can take a Dremel and grind some metal.... If you want to do it right you'll need alot of trial and error and a few more tools than a Dremel. Do you have a flow bench? Several spare heads? A dyno?

IMO porting is something that should be left to the pros.

2muchquad
02-28-2006, 06:12 AM
i would start by taking off a lil'bit at a time if you insist on doing it yourself.there really is only one way to learn though...do it.i would do some research just to get an idea of what goes on.i have been doing my own since 91'.its not exactly rocket science.

bwamos
02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
its not exactly rocket science.

Well, actually, thermodynamics is rocket science.. lol. ;)

Just messin' with ya a little.. lol. :D

2muchquad
02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
everybody wants to be a know-it-all:D

greg_gorrell
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah man, i learned everything myself through trial and error, and usually it was the hard way. a lot of money was spent on new **** for everything i had. but for some tips, take a little bit off at a time. its going to take awhile but its not just going to end up perfect the first time. you could think of it a disarming a bomb. cut a little bit each time and if you cut off too much, your screwed. not as dramatic, but then again, a head for a raptor isnt the cheapest either, so take your time. oh and get some real tools for the job, those attachments for your dremel arent gonna cut it if you want it perfect.

fast raptor
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
what tools do u reconmend

PismoLocal
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
a flow bench and a dyno lol

greg_gorrell
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
not so much a dyno, but a flow bench is definately recommended and the right tools for removing the material. a dyno would be a plus tho. look around for a shop that has one and would let you use theirs.