PDA

View Full Version : porting

fast raptor
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
i am thinking about porting my own head. i have just about every tool out there and i have a dremel and will have lots of parts for it. i am more thinking of just polising it and doing a bit of porting. is it worth it? do i port both sides or just the exhaust? whats the best tip to use on the dremel?

Tersejr
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
If you are planning to starting grinding on your own head I would suggest to polish up the exhaust, and port match the intake.

Leave the intake alittle ruff as you DO NOT WANT THE INTAKE POLISHED. Open up the left side opening to match the carb opening. Smooth out the rubber intake boots to match the new ports (port matching) and the passage way from the left to the right side intakes inlarge alittle bit. The right side intake opening is large enough any larger and you will loose velocity. Clen up the casting marks in both IN/EX ports. Do not nick the valve seats.

Good Luck.

PS. I would pay some one to port the head as you can REALLY mess the head up.

tater_kamik
03-06-2006, 08:36 AM
agreed, but porting is worth it. reason being behind the intake being slightly rough is to help the fuel to atomize, but the exhaust can be very smooth.

Tersejr
03-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
agreed, but porting is worth it. reason being behind the intake being slightly rough is to help the fuel to atomize, but the exhaust can be very smooth.

And to have a good boundry layer.