PDA

View Full Version : Help!

sakirocket28
02-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I just baughty a 87 bayou 185 for a little project, and i took it out for the 1st time, and the motor ceased. When i pulled the plastics off of it, i saw that i needed valve housing gaskets from the top of the motor, and that they had been leaking the oil from the top end of the motor out, and thats what im thinkin lead to the ceasure. What do yall think would be the best way of digging in and fixing it; i havent pulled the 1st bolt out of it yet, i want to make sure that i know what im doing!
thanks

Old Head
02-26-2006, 11:36 AM
the 1st bike I've ever rebuilt was a 220 bayou that sat under a deck for 4 years. So i'd start by getting the manual for it. Redo the top end; piston & rings, valves, new timing chain. That should get ya going again.

sakirocket28
02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Ok, i found that the ceasure was minor, and was due to oil not getting to the top of the cylinder because of bad valve housing gaskets. What i found easiest was to take the spark plug out, and lube the top of the piston down really good, then i heated the outside of the cylinder with a heat gun to expand the metal and free up the walls of the cylinder alittle bit. After that, i took a small wooden dowel, and bein careful for splinters, i tapped the top of the piston down and it slipped back into workin rythom. This is the easiest method i could think of, but im gonna go ahead and get a new piston, rings and crank for it, and have it bored over,
Let me know if yall think this is a good idea, and if it would be sometin good to practice again.