PDA

View Full Version : What Swing Arm?

EX_RIDER
10-01-2001, 09:05 PM
I was doing so big air jumping yesterday at a track and snapped my swing arm.It was broke up near the sproket all around that part in like two peices.I got some questions to ask.

1.What is prob. one of the better swing arm companys out there?I was thinking about houser racing.

2.I race XC and woundered if I should stick with a stock lenght OR get the +1.25.I heard the +1.25 is a no-no for woods racers.

3.Do you think the stock rear shock would do just fine or should i get it rebuilt.I am kinda saving up my money but had planned to buy the PEP limited front shocks and don't want to cancel then plans cause there is a 3 month waiting list.

I maybe just thinking about getting the stock lenght swing arm and new PEP front shocks?Sound any good?
:devil

trx400ex
10-04-2001, 05:18 PM
stay stock length, keep stock shock, get a lonestar laegar burgard houser...all are good quality

10-05-2001, 07:00 PM
don't forget walsh..they make some good quality chassis componets..i think they make swing arms too....good louck

10-05-2001, 11:55 PM
I met two 400ex's with PEP and they were both not happy, I would keep up and pass them at the track with the stocks. I got custom-axis, and I don't think anybody else can even come close. A little pricey but your shocks will make the biggest difference. As far as the stock swingarm, I know a couple mxers who busted theirs, I have abused my stock swingarm and still have yet to busted (Knock on wood). When I do, I am going with Lonestar.

If you change the length of your swingarm you will have to re-valve your rear.

Foxrage
10-06-2001, 05:56 AM
Get houser all the way!!!!! I am concidering PEP shocks but am also thinking about the axis. If i get the double rate axis do you think they will be as good as the triple rate 600 $ peps.

EX_RIDER
10-07-2001, 01:00 PM
Can someone else help me on this. I need to order this soon and don't know what to size to get.

riz400
10-07-2001, 01:05 PM
Definitely Houser. I heard he makes one of the best swingarms out there. I woulod ask John Houser for some input on this. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction when it comes to the swingarm length. You could probably get away with leaving the rear shock the way it is for now but it may be a bit soft if you get the extension. The stock rear is really a good shock already but the fronts definitely have to go.

10-07-2001, 07:37 PM
NACS400EX, double rate shocks and triple rate shocks will handle diferently no matter what brand. The difference is having two springs or three, on double rate, the top spring will be a little smaller and control bumps at the beginning of the wheel travel, when you hit larger bumps or jumps both springs are then working together to dampen the shock, you can control when each spring activates in correspondence to your wheel travel by changing the tender spring crossover height. First figure out what conditions due you plan on riding mx, gncc, or recreation, and go from there. I personally have triple rate front custom axis with a double rate rear, and you have to learn a lot to tune the shocks for the greatest potential, but when you finally got them tuned you feel indistructable. My advice is Custom Axis all the way, great tech support, full manual completely going over everything about your shocks ( I never knew shocks were so complicated ), and the shocks are worh every penny, but you'll need a lot of pennys!

10-08-2001, 08:59 AM
I'd go with houser racing,,,best bang for the buck. And you can get your rear shock rebuilt and it will handle just as good as any aftermarket shock does,,,this will be garaunteed by Terry at Marcums,,,I'll be sending mine to him real soon...cost is around 240 bucks but who wants to spend 800 bucks on an aftermarket shock and only get a small difference compared to a rebuilt stock one.

Oh and if you stick with stock length you'll be fine,,,if you go +1 1/4 you can still use your stock shock,,,my buddies went longer and still runs his stock shock and it works just fine and he hits a lot of large jumps..