PDA

View Full Version : engine guys help me out

redracing88
02-25-2006, 08:40 PM
my 400ex decide to tear down the engine and play around with it a lil well i look at the manual. it said take off the head and yada yada... did that now it said line the marks up on the cam with the out case. and it said it should line up with tdc on the fly wheel

i lined up the lines on the cam sprocket and tdc is like half an inch past where it should be on the flywheel!?!? does this mean its outa time. i did notice that my buddies had a little more power then mine but nothing major now is there something wrong or is it just me?

sly400ex
02-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Has the motor ever been apart before? Is the cam tensioner working properly???

I doubt it, but your chain could be stretched too:confused:

400exrules
02-25-2006, 08:46 PM
theirs like 4 marks on the fly wheel, so yah its a pain in the *** to get it on TDC, its not real easy. you might not have it lined up right. im pretty sure the lobes have to face down

redracing88
02-25-2006, 08:47 PM
sly400ex

bought it from a guy he put a high comp piston and cam in it i noticed it was a little sluggish any suggestions?

sly400ex
02-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes, make sure the lobes are down,that's tdc........

redracing88
02-25-2006, 08:49 PM
on the cam sprocket it has 3 marks one top on left and right if ones at the top and other are alight with the head wall it tdc and i looked down on the flywheel and the t mark was like 1/2 inch from where its soppesd to be

would this cause power loss or any noticible sounds? and if i do it and its doesnt work better shoudl i put it back the way it was?

sly400ex
02-25-2006, 08:50 PM
I somewhat had the same problem when I put my 416 back together...I moved the cam sprocket one notch over either way and it was way out line with the T mark on the flywheel. If it's off just a little , you are more than likely timed up properly.

redracing88
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
ok thanks a lot and my god you reply freakin fast!!

sly400ex
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
HAha..I'm bored waiting for my kid to fall asleep right now....so I have plenty of time.....

:)

redracing88
02-25-2006, 08:57 PM
ok if you got time then what do you think the best thing to get for my engine is? and

i just painted my 400ex bright neon orange with black a-arms and swinger and i have red fullbores i didnt put it together yet but does it sound good so far?

sly400ex
02-25-2006, 09:00 PM
What cam is it? A nice carb is suppose to be a nice combo with the 416 kit....

Color sceme, go for whatever you like!

redracing88
02-26-2006, 09:57 AM
bump

DieselBoy
02-26-2006, 11:53 AM
If you're at TDC ( |-- ) and the 2 marks on the sprocket do not align properely with the top of the casing, you have a stretched cam chain/no cam tensioner/teeth on sprocket not lined up/cam tensioner is defective. Check that the chain is TIGHT whenever you install the tensioner.

DieselBoy
02-26-2006, 11:55 AM
if you have an aftermarket cam your chain is probably stretched to mars. Also your valve springs may need attention.

redracing88
02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
ok thank you for the help DieselBoy it is an aftermarket cam so should i first try to use the chain tensor? or should i replace the cam chain? its a hot cams 2 if that means anything

jordan_m6
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by redracing88

i lined up the lines on the cam sprocket and tdc is like half an inch past where it should be on the flywheel!?!? [/B]

dont know what you mean by this but my hot cam was just lobe down and tdc comp. stroke then just put the sproket back on. if thats what you did it is your timing chain.

you can also check the tensioner if it compresses easy, you may need a new one. (but you can compress it, it just needs force) so if you havent played with a new tensioner you may not be able to tell the diff.

honda460ex
03-02-2006, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't replace anything yet. Just becuase it's showing off on top doesn't mean a thing as far as your chain stretched or tensioner not working. It should still be relatively close, like a tooth or just a half off. Align the bottom of your motor in time, then adjust your top to get the two side marks even accross with the head, and the center mark pointing pretty much straight up. And yes, it should run a lot better set in time, that's your problem. If your chain makes excess noise and your tensioner is all the way out once placed back in the quad, then maybe you might want to replace that pretty soon as well. But that is not your reason for showing the timing off unless the chain is so stretched that it allowed the quad to jump time.