PDA

View Full Version : progress in my hybrid project

wicked265R
02-25-2006, 07:41 PM
well for you guys who don't know what i've been up too, I started a hybrid project with my 86' 250r. The motor is a yz426 (soon to be port and polished) with a full white bro's exhaust and other misc. stuff. I've been fabricating motor mounts and all that to fit this motor. I've done the least amount of cutting into my frame as possible. I only removed the bottom motor mounts to fit the motor better. I have gussetts that will be welded in after fabrication is finished to insure strength and durabilty. This frame will be strong enough to handle the torque and weight of the 426. Here are pictures of the progress thats been made so far. let me know what you guys think, good or bad.

Before tear down-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/finishedcolor.jpg

removed motor-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/nomotor.jpg

yz426 in but not finished-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/hybridproject.jpg the motor is not in its final resting place just yet.

heres how we did the rear motor mount-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/hybridproject2.jpg

Thats all for now, I'll update with new pictures when I get further in. Should be finished up in a little less than 2 weeks

Mcknight#5
02-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Looks sweet
How come your not runnig the swingarm bolt threw the back of the engine?

matt250r21
02-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Man, your pro peg mount is a long way from that shift lever! God, I hate to be the one that keeps bringing you down.

QuadRacer041
02-26-2006, 05:10 AM
sorry to say but you are wasting time and money.not only is shifting going to be ruff but that pivot bolt motor mount looks like an accident waiting to happen.

trx275r
02-26-2006, 06:19 AM
i really would have kept the 250r motor in it. i think that was a downgrade not a upgrade and your gonna have alot of problems with getting it exactly linged up. :(

wicked265R
02-26-2006, 07:34 AM
i got on the bike to see how the shifter felt and is in a great spot for my size 12 1/2 boot. How would you know that the shifter is in a bad place and will be ruff to shift if you didn't sit on it and see how it felt yourself? If you look closely at the picture with the R motor in, the shifter is almost in the same spot it is now with the 426 in. It's just a little high right now. I didnt run the motor through the swingarm bolt b/c the it would rest on the back of my frame, and I didn't want to cut into it anymore. I don't mind the negative comments because they are pretty much opinions. Nobody really knows what will happen, you guys are just predicting what might happen. What I think is that the rear mount is not an accident waiting to happen. Its made of 1/4in steel. Thats some thick sh*t with great welds. It acts like the motor was put through the swingarm bolt, so wheres the problem? Like I said, the motor isn't in its final resting place so there might be adjustments in certain spots. I hope my fabrication does work so this could be an alternative way of building a hybrid. everything lines up pretty damn good so I'm not worried about that. I'm not saying it's going to be bullet proof.
The rear mount is something to watch but it was made by my stepdad, who fabricates stockcar frames, motor mounts, ect. So there is no newbie behind the wheel here. saying this is a downgrade is going a little to far with the critisism. I like the torque and low end power of a 4-stroke motor which the R motor lacked big time. the R motor put out gobs of power, but it was mostly unusable. i'd come out of a burm and have to feather the clutch soo much to catch the slightest bit of traction. We'll see how this goes. Should be done pretty soon so we can put the theories to the test:devil:

hondardr4life
02-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Looks good. I think that it will actually turn out pretty nice. The thought of doing this has crossed my mind, but I don't have the time or money. As for the frame, I think it will hold up great. Sure, the frame wasnt meant to handle torque right off the start, but if it can handle the hard hitting powerband of a built R motor, then it can handle a yz426 motor.

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 08:29 AM
all I can say is I wish you the best of luck...I have had 2 Hybrids and was not realy 100% happy with them...

Mcknight#5
02-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Keep postin pics.
What oil tank are you going with? ex?

gumby2461
02-26-2006, 02:49 PM
so far good luck....rember its not neone else who riding it neways....i bet when ur done there gunna be beggin to get a rip on the hybrid beast...peace

wicked265R
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
i will post pics again when I am further a long in the project. As far as an oil tank goes, I was thinking either a 400ex or getting an aluminum stock car coolant overflow tank and using that. I think the 400ex is easier to install though. Thanks Gumby, atleast you know where I'm coming from. I won't mind letting people ride it at all if they don't beat the p*ss out of it. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out once all the motor mounts are made. exhaust is going to be insane to fit but i'm gunna do my best with that.

koh0001
02-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I wish you the best of luck. I hope it works for you.

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by wicked265R
i will post pics again when I am further a long in the project. As far as an oil tank goes, I was thinking either a 400ex or getting an aluminum stock car coolant overflow tank and using that. I think the 400ex is easier to install though. Thanks Gumby, atleast you know where I'm coming from. I won't mind letting people ride it at all if they don't beat the p*ss out of it. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out once all the motor mounts are made. exhaust is going to be insane to fit but i'm gunna do my best with that. Dude I know where you are comming from...when I built my 1st one...i was the same way...

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 04:23 PM
i will post pics again when I am further a long in the project. As far as an oil tank goes, I was thinking either a 400ex or getting an aluminum stock car coolant overflow tank and using that. I think the 400ex is easier to install though. Thanks Gumby, atleast you know where I'm coming from. I won't mind letting people ride it at all if they don't beat the p*ss out of it. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out once all the motor mounts are made. exhaust is going to be insane to fit but i'm gunna do my best with that. heres how I did my OIL tank off a 400ex
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7075/10001570vq.jpg

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
heres a pic of the 426F/450F Cam mod done...
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4831/cam0025ue.jpg

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Pic of the intake boot...just some of the things that you will run in to...when building a HyBrid
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1655/10001634jm.jpg

gumby2461
02-26-2006, 04:32 PM
ne time bro...now that u said u would let ppl ride it u gotta promise that when ur done ...we'll meet up at e town and i get to give her a rip....i was gunna post somethin up and than i quickly checked and saw u were in nj so i had to get a test ride quote lol

wicked265R
02-26-2006, 05:44 PM
ha yeah we will deff meet up in E-town to ride. Atco would be sweet too. Tampa, appreciate the pictures a lot! where did you get that air boot? thats exactly what I need! post a full pic of the bike left and right. The cam mod is sweet but I dont want to dig into this motor at all right now. those pics really helped me out big time. thanks again

wicked265R
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Tampa, were you running twist or thumb throttle? i wanna run a thumb that accepts the double cable design. let me know what you used

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Tampa, were you running twist or thumb throttle? i wanna run a thumb that accepts the double cable design. let me know what you used thumb..used a single cable from a YFZ...the spring in the FCR Carb was enuff to work like a 2x cable

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
In this pic you can see where I used a YFZ Cable on my FCR Carb...this was the Hybrid CR450F

TampaBoy813
02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
In this pic you can see where I used a YFZ Cable on my FCR Carb...this was the Hybrid CR450F
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6986/10009142ih.jpg

wicked265R
02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
yeah, i'll try the yfz cable too than because ive got an fcr carb on mine which has a pretty tight spring, so the daul cable really doesnt do anything. Thanks for the help Tampa.

steve250r
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Building a hybrid quad is definately a learning expirence. I just got done building one with a friend. It started out as a PRP frame set up for a YZ450 motor. We ended up putting a CRF450 motor in the frame. It was a bit of a challenge even though it was already set up for a four stroke. A lot of cutting and welding was involved.

The thing I noticed with your conversion is the distance the center if the sprocket is from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt. It is going to cause your rear suspension to not work properly. The main things with putting a different motor in a chassis is to make sure you line the center of the front sprocket with the center of the swingarm pivot bolt and the center on the axle. Then make sure your front and rear sprokets are lined up and keep your front sprocket as close to the swingarm pivot bolt as possible or your going to have problems with the rear suspension, guarenteed. I've seen this be a problem.

Just giving you a heads up, building a hybrid is not as easy as it sounds, but I'd do it again.

wicked265R
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Steve, I saw the same thing. and like i said before, the motor isn't in its final resting place. I have the sprocket closer to the swingarm now but it still isnt as close as I would have liked it to be. it would have no effect on the rear suspension. Deffinetly a lot of welding! got a few burns on my fingers :rolleyes: It's really not that difficult, just have to measure a lot to make things nice and even. no hack jobs here. exhaust is going to be fun. for anyone else building one and want to know what kind of tailpipe to buy, yfz silencers work perfect. nice bend that clears the frame.

front mounts fabbed, not the ones being used. will make another set, but better. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/frontmounts1.jpg

great way to work on the quad! expecially doing the bottom mount! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/bikeonpicker.jpg

wicked265R
03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Tampa, What airboot is that? I need to know because im at the part in the project where I need one just like that. Is that a different airbox too? Let me know asap bro. Thanks

BTW: I got the front mounts finished and painted. The bottom and top are being fabricated. Carb clears the gas tank perfectly and so does everything else. She'll be running in no time! Those Holeshot SX's I bought are gunna really put the power to the ground.

TampaBoy813
03-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey Tampa, What airboot is that? I need to know because im at the part in the project where I need one just like that. Is that a different airbox too? Let me know asap bro. Thanks

BTW: I got the front mounts finished and painted. The bottom and top are being fabricated. Carb clears the gas tank perfectly and so does everything else. She'll be running in no time! Those Holeshot SX's I bought are gunna really put the power to the ground.
I used a stock 250R box and used the the boot from the dirtbike ans then made the R boot fit in the dirtbike boot...so it was dirt bike 1st and then the R boot...because the bikebook has a nice S curve down and then out so it passed the reshock mount...

wicked265R
03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
which dirtbike was it? the yz426? Thanks man, your really helping me out big time!

TampaBoy813
03-05-2006, 06:53 AM
on the 426 quad I used the stock 400ex boot with the stock 400ex box...but the CR450F Hybrid was built on a 250R frame and used a CR450F boot & 250R Boot..

koh0001
03-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Do you have any pic of the pivot bolt/swingarm?? It looks like a spacer is missing.??

TampaBoy813
03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by koh0001
Do you have any pic of the pivot bolt/swingarm?? It looks like a spacer is missing.?? I had to make my own out of pipe...

quadracer34
03-30-2006, 07:12 PM
where did the oil tank end up? And what is the rear swinger, and year

wicked265R
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
The oil tank is in front of the motor under the radiator. I'm running a lonestar -1 swingarm. im not sure what model swingarm it is. dc-2 maybe? who know's. it looks like a newer model. My bikes an '86.

wicked265R
04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
heres a pic of the exhaust im going to use. It came off of an yamaha r6 streetbike. it had a two-stage baffle in it so I cut on out. I also cut the pipe itself so its around 8in long. Sounds real sick! Eat your heart out TC

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/yoshiexhaust.jpg

stocktires
04-02-2006, 08:01 PM
o god.....

wicked265R
04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
this pipe sounds so sick guys. TC aint got sh** on me haha.