PDA

View Full Version : 400ex problem (starting)

Greg Z
02-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey guy long time no posts

Well my quad has been apart for about a year, I just put it back together new parts and all.

I got it started first day, i had it running idle for about 30 min just to make sure it was alright. and it was fine. I turned it off. Next day I turned it on it started for 5 min then it just turned off and never turned on again. I tryed turning it on (this is on a new battery too) the battery dies from trying to much to start it. I try to push start it with a truck it starts and turns off automatically (bogs down and turns off) and I figure needs a new plug.. I got it a new plug I tryed push starting it.. (no truck just regular push with some one on it down a hill and start) and it didnt start it started real fast and turned off.

I dont know if i pushed it fast enough, or it needs a real push start with a truck? or there might be another problem like a somehting in the carburator or something.

anyone have some tips?

mprtt426
02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
do you have a k&n air filter on it and jetted if so and you still have your air box lid on it might not be getting anough air

duneaticdave
02-25-2006, 04:21 PM
is there fresh gas in there? if so try and think of all the duh thingslike: is the gas on, is the plug wire on all the way, are u get spark from it,etc

duneaticdave
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
also check for corosion stuff in the carb. clean the jets and all that other stuff.

Dupontster
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by duneaticdave
is there fresh gas in there? if so try and think of all the duh things like: is the gas on, is the plug wire on all the way, are u get spark from it,etc

That was a very good reply....Check all the "duh" things.....Check your fire too...Got the right plug? If the fire isn't good enough, it won't start....Charge the battery all the way up.....See if it is getting gas....Tank could be clogged....Coil? Black Box? Lots of things to check.....

Greg Z
02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Dupontster
That was a very good reply....Check all the "duh" things.....Check your fire too...Got the right plug? If the fire isn't good enough, it won't start....Charge the battery all the way up.....See if it is getting gas....Tank could be clogged....Coil? Black Box? Lots of things to check.....

Yeah I checked to see if the gas tank was clogged no it wasnt. I got the NGK DPR8Z when I took out the plug there was an DPR9Z and it was Black. but it always seemed to run fine...

. The only thing i can really thikn of something is stuck in one of the jets or something but I will check all of the rest of the stuff.

oh and when you say check the black box what do you mean by that? and how would I go on by checking this?

DieselBoy
02-26-2006, 12:41 PM
do a plug check. is it wet? dry? if its wet the fuel bowl could be stuck. do you have consistant spark? it sounds maybe like you need to clean the carb out.

Greg Z
02-26-2006, 03:52 PM
when i took the old spark plug out it was black and dry

thank you everyone

I havent had time yet to cehck it out.. im going to try it sometime this week.

-Greg

ny300exrider
02-26-2006, 04:19 PM
yoo whats up man, havnt seen you in awhile. cool to see your getting the 400 back together. still playing music??

Greg Z
03-06-2006, 02:20 PM
so i pushed started it today and it starts but i give it gas doesnt take any and basically it revs at the speed the car is going at.

I think that its not getting any spark... I put a new battery on it so I mean maybe one of the wires got loose when I did that..