PDA

View Full Version : High maintenance

ScooterBike
02-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I was told that the LTR has a high maintenance engine. Please explain to me why and what needs to be done when...

quadfam4
02-25-2006, 05:28 PM
What did you hear and where from?

ScooterBike
02-26-2006, 01:06 AM
was told by a local dealer that every 10-20h the engine needs a service: timing checked, valves checked, oil ect.

I want to know if this is true.

Which 450?
02-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by ScooterBike
was told by a local dealer that every 10-20h the engine needs a service: timing checked, valves checked, oil ect.

I want to know if this is true. Thats what alot of service manuals say, yet no one does it all exactly how it says usually.

jesshamner
02-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Yeah that's probably what the manual says. You have to remember that Suzuki and the dealerships are in this game to make a little money.

DWR270
02-26-2006, 08:36 AM
What does a Honda or Yamaha manual say? Look at the 4-stroke MX bike manual:

Valves after break-in and then every three races.

Piston every five races

Crank every 5 races

Race = 1 hour

As far as Suzuki and the dealer being in it for the money, do you work for free?

Racing Rice
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
They also do it as a CYA (cover your behind.) It's definately doesn't hurt to follow the maintenance schedule exactly, but a lot of it really depends on your riding style, and enviroment.

z400roosteR
02-26-2006, 01:42 PM
There right, it's just to cover there asses, and also might be to make extra money..In the banshee's manual it not only says to change the oil after X amount of riding hours but to also make sure to use YamaLube:blah: So they are getting there moneys worth.
And the Stealership will tell you the same cause they get money from you for changing your oil etc. For the average joe smoe who doesn't do it themselves.

jesshamner
02-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DWR270
What does a Honda or Yamaha manual say? Look at the 4-stroke MX bike manual:

Valves after break-in and then every three races.

Piston every five races

Crank every 5 races

Race = 1 hour

As far as Suzuki and the dealer being in it for the money, do you work for free?

No I don't work for free but I don't overcharge for everything and I don't try to squeeze every penny out of my customers. Did my comment offend you in some way?

DWR270
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Didn't offend me. I'm just tired of hearing people say the dealers are out to screw them. If you don't like a certain dealer don't go there. Don't group them all into one catagory.

jesshamner
02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Am I the first and only person that thinks this? No. They're called stealerships for a reason. There are dealerships out there that don't overcharge but they are few and far between. Its not that I don't like a certain one, there is only one that I go to and that's because they don't overcharge me or try to get me to pay for stuff that I don't need.

250r4life
02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
oh yah, few far and inbetween... mosts dealers and a lot of shops are rip offs, and what really pisses me off is most of their work absolutely sucks... if i had millions of dollars i would not take my bike to a dealer nor most shops, cuz most of them suck... i have seen a bunch of bikes come out of dealers with stuff not assembled correctly, or bolts not tightened, and all kinds of disasters... and all this after paying a premium to have it done.. like i said, to heck with MOST dealerships and shops...

Ride1Rob
02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Dealerships are ripoffs. Not all but the majority of them are. Mine told me to bring my YFZ in for it's 1st checkup w/ a heft tag of $340. I checked my vavles for the 1st time after a year and only 2 were out of spec.

There's no way an oil change and filter should run over $100. Call a dealership and ask them how much to change your clutches (Over $150) or something so simple as rejetting your bike and placing a pipe on and you have all the parts for the job(quoted over $200 again). When I do work on my bike I call them and ask them for a quote on the work I just did. Makes me feel good to know all the money that I saved myself.

z400roosteR
02-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
When I do work on my bike I call them and ask them for a quote on the work I just did. Makes me feel good to know all the money that I saved myself.
Same here man.

02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
yeah i agree.
we have 2 or 3 dealerships in this area. and, they all over-charge!! some worse than others. so, i guess if they over charge you just a little.....then, that would make them a good dealership to deal with.

dealers piss me off, anyways. they all act like they could care less, whether you buy from them or not. :mad:

z400roosteR
03-01-2006, 10:21 AM
When it comes to purchasing quads here in oregon you get boned, unless you want to drive over a an hr or two to another dealership the very few around here won't really budge on prices. We bought 2 05 400's(with helmets gloves goggles etc) in cash and we had to bend there arms to throw in tie downs and flags. I mean they even have older bikes and they could care less if they get your business cause they literally move at least a yfz a week plus other bikes so each customers business doesn't really bother them.:macho