PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rotors

Leo02400ex
07-18-2002, 12:36 PM
I have recentlly noticed (after burning my brake pads to bare metal) that shoes are not lasting as long and there has been some build up of shoe material on the rotor. Shoes are sometimes trashed in just a couple of hours riding. Has anyone found a place that will turn their stock rotor to resurface it? Also Is anyone using upgraded rotors (such as the wave rotor that clears mud) or any others? Let me know what you think of them?
Thanks
Leo

Teufel
07-18-2002, 12:39 PM
I personally like the solid rotors, I have Braking, on my R and they made a world of difference in the life of the pads. I run XC and the mud fills the holes in rotors and acts as an abrasive.

Ex'r Marlin
07-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Teufel
I personally like the solid rotors, I have Braking, on my R and they made a world of difference in the life of the pads. I run XC and the mud fills the holes in rotors and acts as an abrasive. Ditto.

I do not know if you can have the brake rotors resurfaced due to the holes... But I could be wrong. Check the middle thickness of your rotor, if possible either with a micrometer or just with your fingers. If the top outside diameter of the rotor is within spec., see if the walls of the rotor tapers in as you guide either the micrometer or your fingers down towards the bottom. If it tapers, most likely your rotor will not only be out of spec, but your rotor will greatly heat up and possibly go through break pads more offen.

Mxbubs
07-20-2002, 08:20 AM
My dad makes rotors, he is a machinist. Email me if you are interested.