PDA

View Full Version : cb radio

LTZ400rider
02-24-2006, 10:41 PM
anyone use them? i had one but it broke a while ago. they r fun to mess around on

btw
any1 got one they wanna sell?

antman
02-24-2006, 10:44 PM
go to your local radio shack you can get one for like $30... they are pretty cheap.if you are really in to it you might want to look into short wave/ amature radio.

Rico400
02-25-2006, 01:43 AM
or ham radio, u have to take a test to get ur lisence to be on it so theres not idiot kids on

LTZ400rider
02-25-2006, 08:04 AM
who uses amatuer radio anyway? i just like goin down the interstate yellin at drivers lol and askin them about traffic and such

antman
02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
i think that ham, shortwave and amature radio are all basically the same thing ... but i am pretty sshure u need a license or somting to do it

knighttime
02-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
who uses amatuer radio anyway? i just like goin down the interstate yellin at drivers lol and askin them about traffic and such

:bandit:

HondaEXrider22
02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Its people like you who make Truckers lives hell on the road. They have a job to do and a family to feed, but yet your being an ***hole and clogging up the radio, when they need that to know about wrecks, cops, and things. Why do that? What do you do for a living? Picture one of the most important things in communtication in your job and then picture idiots like you doing what you do on it. You should ahve a CB to find wrecks and route. not be an a55hole.

Loser450
02-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Ever seen the movie Joy Ride? heh.

We use VHF radios around here. Better range than a CB and get service where cell phones don't.

TheFontMaster
02-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Loser450
Ever seen the movie Joy Ride? heh.

Candycane....does anyone out there know Candycane.....

:scary:

knighttime
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
Its people like you who make Truckers lives hell on the road. They have a job to do and a family to feed, but yet your being an ***hole and clogging up the radio, when they need that to know about wrecks, cops, and things. Why do that? What do you do for a living? Picture one of the most important things in communtication in your job and then picture idiots like you doing what you do on it. You should ahve a CB to find wrecks and route. not be an a55hole.

chill out nerd-boy.

CB's r cool, nobody said anything about what you are talking about. It must be something you did or something.:scary:

bigbadbrad
02-25-2006, 03:44 PM
yup around here alot of people use marine radios, 25 mile range,and like someone esle said they put out signals and recives them were cell phones can not. Alot of the loggers around here have both a cb and a marine radio in their truck, i worked on a logging truck at work the other night had a marine, cb, 2-way, and a scanner in his truck, he had radios everywheres, and the truck was a day cab

APK400exRacer
02-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22

Bahaha you know 90% of the time they use them to BS on right.......?:huh

knighttime
02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by APK400exRacer
Bahaha you know 90% of the time they use them to BS on right.......?:huh

haha, dont forget about the strip-clubs that advertise on the CB:eek2:

Camaroguy87132
02-25-2006, 09:07 PM
i just bought one on ebay yesterday its a cobra ds IV and i got it for 41 shipped, good deal, cant wait to use it, gotta get a mount and an antenna

@Bad465EX
02-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I have one that i would be willing to get rid of... just pm me !!!

partyboy300ex
02-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Yea Lot of people have them around here we use the to talk to each other and mess around on I got 2 9 fott whipes on my truck ill try and get a picture of them there sweet:macho

LTZ400rider
02-26-2006, 07:45 PM
i just bought a cheap one at radio shack for 50 bucks, the antenna sucks though im taking it back, whenever i drive or when the wind blows it whistles lol, stupid design. my cb doesnt have a pa :ermm: no fun

whats the most popular channel because its been quite dead since i bought it

400exrules
02-26-2006, 08:51 PM
does the kind of radio make much of a difference, or is it all in the antenna?

knighttime
02-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
does the kind of radio make much of a difference, or is it all in the antenna?

the radio shouldn't make much of a difference when is comes to reception.

The antenna is very important. To get it set up right, you have to buy or borrow an SWR meter to tune in your system. The antenna may have to be adjusted or cut down depending on what kind you have or get. (the meters are cheap i think)

It's best to mount it on the highest part of the vehicle. But there was no way i was gonna mount mine on the roof of my truck:mad: . Thats too redneck for me, lol.

I have one that looks cool that is mounted between my front fender and hood:eek2:

I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow.

:scary:

wanta450
02-27-2006, 08:34 AM
all i want is a PA speaker

02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooo CandyCane where are you candy cane:devil: :devil: :devil:

Scott-300ex
02-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by antman
go to your local radio shack you can get one for like $30... they are pretty cheap.if you are really in to it you might want to look into short wave/ amature radio.

Where the hell do you live?

Cuz at my Radio Shacks the cheapest is 70 and then they got one for 150!!!!!!

I've wanted one for a long time but thats a lot of $$$$$, then I need more for the antenna and mic and power plug in.

Ok, the 2 poles/antenna's don't even work unless they are 10 foot apart, they don't make it better and I think they actually make it worse.

19 is a popular channel, its like an emergency channel, just run up and down the channels and you'll find stuff.

I bought a scanner, a handheld and I'm pickin up 100 miles away from me, I ain't even jokin, when its in my car it sounds like it doesn't pick up as good and crackles, but sometimes its really good so its prolly just the signal on where I am.

I'm actually goin out to my friends tonite to pick one up cuz he said he has one his dad used when he was a trucker. I ask people around here but they always say "I got some but they don't work."

knighttime
02-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
19 is a popular channel, its like an emergency channel, just run up and down the channels and you'll find stuff.

i wouldnt call channel 19 an emergency channel. Channel 9 would be more of the police/emergency/stranded channel.

knighttime
02-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Get the above CB radio. It is compact, works as good as any, and it even has the PA feature. All you have to do is get a speaker and run a wire.

It's a tried and true model. :scary:

LTZ400rider
02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
what is a good small antenna, i feel like every1 looks at me funny for having a damn whip antenna on top of my roof, there is no other spot to put it really

knighttime
02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
what is a good small antenna, i feel like every1 looks at me funny for having a damn whip antenna on top of my roof, there is no other spot to put it really

no, dont go with the dual antennas whippin in the wind. you dont need that, lol.

I'll take a picture of my antenna and CB system tomorrow. My antenna is mounted midway between my hood and fender.

What kind of vehicle do you have?

Scott-300ex
02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Is there a wireless antenna? Cuz don't they have a wire going from the box to the antenna? Cuz I don't wanna half to find a place for the wire to go from the dash to the back window on my hatch.

Yesterday I saw a guy had his antenna mounted on his mirror of his 97 F-350. It looked real good.

MichaelS693
02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
i have a old school cobra 29 NON-DIGITAL!! (tells you how old it is) got it mounted under my steering column and i have a 9 foot steel whip as a antenna mounted on my bed where it meets the cab.. all in a 2005 Z71 ill get a picture soon.. im looking for a kicker if anyone has one to sell or knows where one is for cheap and yes 19 is the trucker channel and 9 is the emergency channel.. reason i have mine is because at our deer camp we run dogs in our trucks and have to have them cause we cover 3000 acres of land

knighttime
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM

knighttime
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
inside

knighttime
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
:huh

knighttime
02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
i have a old school cobra 29 NON-DIGITAL!! reason i have mine is because at our deer camp we run dogs in our trucks and have to have them cause we cover 3000 acres of land

yeah i can see how the CB would work good. It takes too long with a cell phone. With the CB you can just instantly say something.

MichaelS693
03-01-2006, 11:30 PM
exactly... i dont understand.. why are kickers illegal?

Scott-300ex
03-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Alright so I finally got one, a Cobra, has scan on it, weather channels, stuff to clear up static and other stuff, it seems like a real good one.

So I get up today and go get a cigarette lighter power adapter thing, I'm like this ain't ganna work cuz they didn't have the right one. So I go home and take the cigarette lighter out. I got 2 hot wires and a ground comin back from the cb for power. So I go to the cigarette lighter cuz that an "On at all times" switch(For those of you who don't know that means I don't have to have the key in to run it. So I snip the 2 hot wires goin to the lighter, strip them with a pliers, hook it all up with the 2 hot wires from the cb to the 2 hot wires of the lighter. When I sniped the wires I THEN found out that the clock runs threw that set too. So I reconnect the wires and add the cb wires and now I ain't got no power to the clock! Which means no power to the lighter then the cb. So I'm like F**k! I take it apart put it all back together how it was origianlly and it still don't work, so I take the center consol out to get to the plug adapters, the hot wire seemed loose in there so I clamped it for it to stay, still nothing. So I gotta work on that more now.

For those of you who read that all.................Good for you.

I need to find the fuse box under my dash but I got no clue where it is, cuz I looked for it.

And in the instructions it says 9 and 19 are emergency channels, there is a button on the "Transciever" LoL, cb, that takes you right to them.

LTZ400rider
03-07-2006, 03:49 PM
check the fuse on the cb, if u dont have one u might of messed it up, u can hardwire it straight to the fuse box. i got an adapter that i can plug it into the cig lighter 19 isnt really emergency but the most popular channel

Camaroguy87132
03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey knighttime.. when you mounted it under the dash, did you use the screws or what.. because i dont wanna put holes in my dash, im thinking about gettin some industrial velcrow and just straping it under the dash

RaptorRacer45
03-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey since this is a CB topic i was wondering....i have 1 of those $40 deals from Radio Shack and i noticed on the back theres an outlet that says "ext spkr"....does that mean i can plug a PA into it of is that just a spot 2 hook another regular speaker up 2??? i dont wanna go buy a PA speaker if that aint gonna work.....thanx guys:D

knighttime
03-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
Hey knighttime.. when you mounted it under the dash, did you use the screws or what.. because i dont wanna put holes in my dash, im thinking about gettin some industrial velcrow and just straping it under the dash

haha, you would make a good detective. thats exactly what i used. make sure you clean the plastic real good with alcohol. it works good unless it gets real hot and humid.

knighttime
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RaptorRacer45
Hey since this is a CB topic i was wondering....i have 1 of those $40 deals from Radio Shack and i noticed on the back theres an outlet that says "ext spkr"....does that mean i can plug a PA into it of is that just a spot 2 hook another regular speaker up 2??? i dont wanna go buy a PA speaker if that aint gonna work.....thanx guys:D

it very well could be a PA speaker jack. if it is though, you should have some type of a switch on the front of it to switch into PA mode.

Mxjunkie
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Lmfao, cb's kick ***.. it's so much fun riding with my old boss, he gets on it and talks to random guys going down the highway lol.. We had a trailer on the back of the truck one day he goes, soo whatca hauling and stuff they come in handy going to the races when a truck is in your way trying to climb the moutains. I wanna do the breaker breaker rubber ducky looks like we got our selfs a convoy. :blah:

Camaroguy87132
03-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
haha, you would make a good detective. thats exactly what i used. make sure you clean the plastic real good with alcohol. it works good unless it gets real hot and humid. k thanks for the info :D

Scott-300ex
03-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Alright I got mine workin the next day, I even took to to my brother 'n law and had him help me find the fuse box, he's an ASE certified mechanic, HE couldn't even find it, so I'm like F**k! So I went home and got out the manual I bought when I put my clutch in and that lead me to the wrong spot so I just went over every inch and out of the CORNER of my eye I saw a fuse, I had to take the bottom part of the dash out to get to it and see it. Dang thing, so I got a new fuse and hooked it up to the fuse box and a ground and got it workin.

Is there any way to get better range with these?

I've talked to only a couple people but I hear people a lot.

And in my manual I read on the cb, I read all of it so I would know more and it said that the "Ex. Spk" was for a PA. So go for it dude.