PDA

View Full Version : 06 kick start kit

d kelley
02-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Has anyone else installed a kick start kit yet on a 06 yfz? I have the kit and the first thing I realized is that the kick start lever will not rotate down without interfering with the remote brake reservoir brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the reservoir under the seat. I have contacted Yamaha and was told that some owners have just moved and zip-tied the brake line to a new location and that they are redesigning this kit for the 06. I am wonderng if the yz450F motorcycle brake master (no remote reservoir) cylinder would work for this problem. Thanks for any help and info for this problem.

mountaineer
02-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a kickstart kit on my 04 and the gyt-r kicker would hit my footpeg bolt and it bent. Then I picked up a 98 yz250 kicker and it clears no problem. See if your dealer can order one up and see if it clears. I bet it will. There is alot more room with the yz kicker and looks way better. The gyt-r is for a show quad not one you ride hard or race. If you want I could take a picture of the kicker from behind to show you how much room there is. Let me know. As far as using the dirtbike ressi it heats up and causes brake fade. not a good idea.

d kelley
02-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info, I do have the yz kicker though and the problem is the hose on the 06 yfz. The knuckle on the kicker will pivot down right into the hose. I didnt know about the brake fade problem though, so thanks again for the help.

mountaineer
02-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Did they relocate the brake ressi on the 06?

d kelley
02-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah they did, It is up under the seat now connected by a long hose from the master cylinder. I heard thid was done to get the resi up away from the rear fender mount.

mountaineer
02-25-2006, 12:07 PM
My buddy just stopped by for a jet job for his 06. What a bone head design I do not know what to tell you on how to fix it.

mountaineer
02-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Well I have a solution to your problem. If I were you I would get the ressi relocation kit for the 04, 05. It should mount the same way. Find someone with the kit and do yours the same. I looked at my buddies 06 and it should work just fine. Everything is the same as far as how it mounts. I know it sounds like it defeats the purpose but oh well. stuff happens:rolleyes:

WORCSYFZ199
02-27-2006, 12:28 AM
hey d kelley, you should order one of those trick quadtech reservoir guard/relocators and then it should elminate the problem plus it makes the quad look a lot nicer, there's a link to it, it's what I have on mine.

http://www.quadtech-atv.com/pages/products/qt_yfz_450_bg1.html

d kelley
02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks 199, I might try that out, it kinda sucks having do all this just to use a kick start though. Have you guys decided if you're putting one on yet? How's your leg doing? Hope it's feeling better. I'm getting pysched for Havasu, Hope to see you guys there for sure. Josh and his family came over last week and man, that dude is focused in this year! Lets get Tom to race the team race too! Talk to you later.

daddio
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
WORKS199 is correct. Just get a rezzi relocator from a 04/05. You'll wand to do this anyway, because an aftermarket exhaust will heat the brake fluid and boil it. This happened on my kids '06, so I modified it like our '04.

d kelley
02-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Daddio, did you have use a different brake hose on your 06 to use the relocater kit? the hose from the master to the ressi is the one I am talking about? Thanks for your help.

daddio
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by d kelley
Daddio, did you have use a different brake hose on your 06 to use the relocater kit? the hose from the master to the ressi is the one I am talking about? Thanks for your help.

I just cut the '06 hose. Then you'll have about 3 spare hoses, from the excess.

mountaineer
02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Try mountaineer is correct Daddio LOL:D:p

d kelley
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the info, this has become a case of the arm bone connected to the whatever bone. The whole reason I wanted a kick start was because of a rekluse clutch I installed since there is no push-pull starting a Rekluse. My thinking was that if my battery or starter died during one of our WORCS races, I wanted to have a back-up starter. Then I realized the brake hose problem after reading all the posts about which kick start lever to use and so on. I got a Quad tech ressi relocate today and I am not sure if the 06 resevoir tank will bolt on correctly without spacers. All this for a kick start lever I hope I never have to use! The maddness we put ourselves though. I love this sport!!!

daddio
02-28-2006, 06:43 AM
BTW........ The Quad-tech relocator will come with the spacers you need to use your '06 rezzi.

coryatver
02-28-2006, 06:57 AM
I thought that you either had to have kick start or electric not both. Don't you have to remove the starter or when you kick it it will really mess things up?

Originally posted by d kelley
Thanks for all the info, this has become a case of the arm bone connected to the whatever bone. The whole reason I wanted a kick start was because of a rekluse clutch I installed since there is no push-pull starting a Rekluse. My thinking was that if my battery or starter died during one of our WORCS races, I wanted to have a back-up starter. Then I realized the brake hose problem after reading all the posts about which kick start lever to use and so on. I got a Quad tech ressi relocate today and I am not sure if the 06 resevoir tank will bolt on correctly without spacers. All this for a kick start lever I hope I never have to use! The maddness we put ourselfs though. I love this sport!!!

intruder
02-28-2006, 07:46 AM
You could have both.

daddio
02-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I have both. The starter has a seperate clutch, so the kicker doesn't effect it.