PDA

View Full Version : broken shift shaft

tappe38
02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I just finished a top end rebuild on my ex and on my first ride. i miss judged a gravel pile while highpointing. and came down a 15 foot drop hard (ouch) in the process landed with my foot on the shifter. and broke it off at the case. my question is how ugly is spliting the case going to be. :(

xcracer416
02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
i had that happen to me too. but i was in a race. its not that bad, if you are mechanically inclined. took me about a half a day and she was going again.

tappe38
02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
after I get the cylinder off and motor out, and split the case. is changing the shaft a easy thing or dose it mean pulling the gears out or dose it slide right in. the hayes manual is kind of sketchy. thanks. mike

K_Fulk
02-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Changing the shift shaft is pretty easy. Once you get the cases split its just a pull it out and slide the new one in job.

pit/wood
02-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I have not actualy done it but according to the manual the shaft can be changed by removing the clutch cover only.

K_Fulk
02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by pit/wood
I have not actualy done it but according to the manual the shaft can be changed by removing the clutch cover only.

What manual are you reading? :confused: The shift shaft comes out of the inner case on the opposite side of the clutch.

JOEX
02-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
What manual are you reading? :confused: The shift shaft comes out of the inner case on the opposite side of the clutch.
It is removed from the clutch side. After I did mine I found out I didn't have to remove the flywheel:p

K_Fulk
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Exactly, but there is a lot more to it then removing the clutch cover. :p

JOEX
02-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Exactly, but you have to split the cases to do it. :p
Yes, that is correct. I misinterpreted your post;)

tappe38
02-25-2006, 07:54 AM
so it still sounds like spliting the case is the only way to get the job done. but changeing out the shaft shouldnt be that bad.

pit/wood
02-25-2006, 08:18 AM
you be right and I am wrong,kfulk.the case must be split.sorry.I was thinking of a different machine.

prepracing
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
depending on where the shaft broke.......I've seen a lot of 400ex's out there with shifters welded on. Not sure on how reliable that would be :ermm:

Rico
02-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
depending on where the shaft broke.......I've seen a lot of 400ex's out there with shifters welded on. Not sure on how reliable that would be :ermm:

LMFAO

That's how mine is right now. Welded the flock on there. But I busted a piece off the other side's case in teh back so I"ll be splitting the cases pretty soon, and will probably go ahead and replace the shift shaft while I'm in there...

Not looking forward to it to be honest..:scary:

02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I have the cases apart on my motor currently, to throw in a hotrods crank and a cupple new tranny gears.

there are a cuple special tools u will need. like a flywheel puller, inner clutch hub holder ( to torque the nut back on to spec). Once I got them apart I realized it isnt to to complicated.

The shifter shaft is the first thing to come out. It comes out before you can take any of the gears out. it takes about a second to take it out.

I'm waiting to put my motor back together till I am like 100% in NO rush. I'm not the moast paitent person. so I tend to rush things. not a thing to be rushed.

Then of course while your are in your motor, might as well tune things up while your in there. dono what u have for mods. But I took my cases apart to replace the rod, ended up replacing 100$ worth of gears while I was in there.

02-27-2006, 01:53 PM
what brand rod is that in that picture???

K_Fulk
02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Carrilo

honda460ex
03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm all about tuning it up while your in there. It's honestly not that bad to do. I had my main small gear that drives my tranny with the clutch inside the cases shatter on me. Tore it all down, saw a bit of wear on the crank, so I replaced it with a Hotrods Stroker crank and rod... And yeah, it was worth it... Very simple if you just take your time and watch what your doin.

desertrats
03-02-2006, 09:35 AM
lol, I had mine JB Welded on for the longest time, 0 reliability but I was able to ride till I got the cases split. lol

03-02-2006, 10:04 AM
see if you can drill and tap a hole in the middle of the sift shaft. if you get a hole in there with threds on it ur golden.