PDA

View Full Version : help with darting problem

TRX_Thumper
07-18-2002, 09:26 AM
well boys after my first harescramble the little 300 has a bad darting problem.....the only wreck i had was on the start where we was 3 wide and only room for 1....i caught about four 1 inch trees with the right a arm and overturned me and when accelerating up hills i could never keep it straight after that....its not pulling to one particular side....i just road it down my gravel road and its all over the place...handlebars are a little tweaked....front end is straight and axle is straight...what could it be? all tire pressures are equal...need help fast

Razorback
07-18-2002, 10:04 AM
sounds like either one or both of your tie rods are slightly bent, or your alignment is not set correctly. you need to be toe-in about 1/2 inch or so.

TRX_Thumper
07-18-2002, 10:37 AM
alright both my tie rods are perfectly straight...and this thing is only 3 months old and i have never adjusted toe in on it before...it was fine before the flip...i'm thinkin it bent the spindle a little...think thats possible?

07-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Sounds to me like you have no toe-in,, If you were sitting on your quad your front wheels are like this \ / and they need to be like this / \ does that make sense?? You'd know if your spindle was bent..

TRX_Thumper
07-18-2002, 03:36 PM
well boys why would my 4 wheeler suddenly have no toe in or toe out? it was fine before the race? and i did a little measuring and i think my spindle mount is off an 1/8 inch where the tie rod bolts on...and when i jump one of my shocks makes a weird noise...if u pick up the front of the quad one wheel is in the air before the other one...

Rastus
07-18-2002, 05:52 PM
well, we know its in your A-arms, right? Id say jsut take them off, and inspect everything.

P.S. a manual would be a good idea.

TRX_Thumper
07-18-2002, 06:23 PM
well after the race i pulled the a arms shocks and gave a good greasing everything was perfect...i got a haynes manual....i think its a tweaked spindle i am gonna try to set the toe in and just adjust it out if that doesnt work some1 in here needs to sell me a spindle

07-19-2002, 11:48 AM
You might have a blown shock too,,,I've done that and it makes the front end do weird things...if you need a new spindle check out service honda,,you'll be looking for the knuckle,,which is basically the spindle..they run about $100+ dollars.

Mailman77327
07-20-2002, 06:13 AM
I had a similiar problem...after all was said and done...it was my a-arm bushings that were worn.
My quad was doing a little "walkabout" when I was trying just to go straight.
If you pull on your suspension and feel play..it could be your bushings.
My left side was tight but the right side had some play.
I hope this helps you.
Chris:)

TRX_Thumper
07-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Ok the a arm bushings are tight...rico come to think of it the shock that makes the weird noise is also a little softer than the other....damn they have only been bottomed once and that was just a slight bottom....i think i have 2 problems...i checked the toe in and it is out 1/2 inch...what do you guys suggest for woods racing? 3/4 in or 1/2 in?

OCCRA288
07-22-2002, 10:38 AM
I'm a woods racer and all the guys we race with run 3/4 to an inch total toe in. it works perfect.