PDA

View Full Version : Gas tanks for welding

pastfast125
02-24-2006, 04:15 AM
Anybody now where in PA like langhorne bensalem area that I could buy or rent a tank of argon for welding?

tw1976
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
We use praxair for most of our bottles at work. I know they have locations all over the country. Don't know how close any are to you but you could look at-

http://ecatalog.praxair.com/storelocator/usas.html

knighttime
02-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
Anybody now where in PA like langhorne bensalem area that I could buy or rent a tank of argon for welding?

just look in the yellow pages under welding or welding supplies.

you are buying argon, do you know thats for tig?:confused:

JOEX
02-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
just look in the yellow pages under welding or welding supplies.

you are buying argon, do you know thats for tig?:confused:
This is what I understand:

75% Argon 25% CO2 is for regular MIG welding. TIG uses Argon/Helium mix. I don't know the ratio though....

knighttime
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
This is what I understand:

75% Argon 25% CO2 is for regular MIG welding. TIG uses Argon/Helium mix. I don't know the ratio though....

tig uses pretty 100% argon for sst, steel, and copper, DC. helium i think is old school.

JOEX
02-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
tig uses pretty 100% argon for sst, steel, and copper, DC. helium i think is old school.
I'm pretty sure TIG uses Helium/Argon, it's also nown as Heliarc welding. I don't know if it's old school or not but it's still being used.

I was talking with the local welding supply about welding SS and they said a Tri-mix is best for SS, I don't remember the ratios but I thought Helium was the predominate gas and fairly expensive. It also only came in the larger tanks.

The 75/25 argon/co2 works just as good but not as pretty as the tri-mix.

Live2Ride300
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I use 100% argon for Tig Welding, if your welding someting where you need more penetration a 90% argon, 10% helium mix helps with penetration.