PDA

View Full Version : valve ticking

Honda2000
02-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Ok i had a stage 2 hotcam installed the mchanic told me to adust the valves so i did. I still hear clicking noise, and i know you will hear it click a little but i think it is too much. Do the valves click when they are too tight? Is it better to have the valves to loose or to tight. THanks

quader400
02-23-2006, 07:44 PM
im pretty sure they click when they are too loose... make sure you adjusted them right cause once i adjusted mine when your turn that bolt counter clockwise i went clock wise with it and the ticking was really loud. Also i have heard that hotcams make a ticking noise and its regular hope this helped

Green95Hoe
02-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, they tick. Mine actually doesnt make any noice when I first start it but once it warms up and things settle in it starts to tick again. Make sure you check them when the engine is hot. Im still only 3 hours into my break in so ill do a third check of teh tappets around 5 hours.

~Brad

04'400ex'er
02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I hear all this talk of the ticking hotcams... but I have yet to hear mine tick.:rolleyes:

ride_red666
02-23-2006, 09:22 PM
ive had mine for about 6 months now and i ticks a bit. its not very loud. i check my valves about once a month. everybody i kno that runs a hotcam ticks a little bit.

Honda2000
02-23-2006, 09:35 PM
the hot cam instructions said to set valves when cold. Is better to have the valves too tight or to loose?

Sleeper
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
"better to tight or too loose?" Niether if you can help it.

There is no conceren about rotating the cam the wrong way when adjusting the cam once you switch to a hot cam. You lose the decompression system when you switch over so you can spin the motor either way to get where you want to be.

I only have a stage one, but I have no ticking at all. I would make sure you recheck the adjustment on the rocker after you tighten the jamb nut. The best way I found to get it right where you want it is to keep the jamb nut as tight as you can while adjusting the screw. That way when you go to tighten the jamb nut your not pulling up the slack in the threads. You have about .0005 slack in the threads that will add to your clearance if you adjust it with the jamb nut totaly loose. I can't imagine just that causing major ticking.

If you don't have bent feeler gauges you might try bending them or buying bent ones to see if it helps you set it a little tighter. I set mine so there is quite a bit of friction putting in the correct gauge but there is no way I could get in the next size up. At least not without forcing the hell out of it.

What type of pipe do you have? Maybe it's not loud enough;).

Sleeper

curious george
02-27-2006, 03:36 PM
mine startyed to click after about a month of riding when i bought them. take the plastics off and bring it to a dealer ship and they will only chartge you like $30.00