PDA

View Full Version : Dont Buy Durablue Locknuts=junk

Over-land 450r
02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
i went to put inmy new axle and i relized the locknut was stripped. They have metal thread with Aluminum threads and the Aluminuim threads stripped. Locknuts in General are nice just not when there not porely designed.

ROB

NacsMXer
02-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, I have a RAD locknut which is the same deal, steel threaded sleeve, aluminum-threaded locknut. I haven't had problems stripping it...

Most likely you probably overtorqued it. I don't even use a wrench on mine, just hand tighten it as tight as it will go, then I wrap a shop rag around it or a leather glove and tighten it some more. Then tighten the pinch bolts. Hasn't backed off a bit since the 1st time I put it on. It's like an antifade locknut, they're not meant to be torqued to the extreme like the stock axle nut.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p2427774e167bb87bead6f5aa359f3834/f0e2c2ea.jpg

Over-land 450r
02-23-2006, 03:43 PM
what happen was the brack rotar and sproket hub bept cumin loose so i would tighen more and more. i still belive there junk.
i did hear good about the RAD.locknut

NacsMXer
02-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, the the durablue locknut has a different locking mechanism than the RAD. It has a single pinch bolt that "pinches" the threads laterally from side to side correct? The RAD one has two pinch bolts that "pinch" the threads vertically as you can see in the pic. The nut has a single cut in it by the two pinch bolts, so that when you tighten it, the entire nut clamps down on those threads.

The design of the locking mechanism on the durablue just isn't as effective seeing how you had to periodically keep retightening it. Like I said, I installed mine once and it hasn't backed off a bit. I would definitely suggest getting the RAD, they're only about 35 bucks and are just as effective as the 200 dollar antifades IMO

PismoLocal
02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
where can you buy a rad lock nut from i have been thinking of buying one for a while and now that i know that they aren't junk i want to buy one asap. i have seen them on ebay but is there ne where else you can buy em?

NacsMXer
02-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
where can you buy a rad lock nut from i have been thinking of buying one for a while and now that i know that they aren't junk i want to buy one asap. i have seen them on ebay but is there ne where else you can buy em?

www.radmfg.com ;)

JOEX
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I think C&D Racing sells them for a bit less:)

PismoLocal
02-24-2006, 12:12 AM
thanx

Over-land 450r
02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks i got 1 from Jrd and it looks very similar.
Rob

2muchquad
02-24-2006, 09:42 PM
i do agree that the durablu locknuts leave something to be desired.what i did with mine was take out the cheesy allen head screw and i replaced it with a bolt with a 8mm head.this way i can get more torque on it.i usually keep an eye on it(when i think about it lol) but for the most part its been trouble free.this mod has worked the best.loctite on the threads wont work either,save your money and go with another bolt with a bigger head;)

Over-land 450r
02-25-2006, 06:03 AM
i liked it in the beggining but now is bent cracked and stripped.. Just got one made by modquad at Jrd