PDA

View Full Version : Just installed cam..

Punk'd
02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I just installed my cam and thought everything was fine, but now I hear a ticking noise? What does this mean? Im useing the stock shims and I thought they were going to work, but I guess I need new sizes?

How do I tell what I need?

krazken
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
if you installed a new cam, then you will need a shim kit. in order to properly shim it, you will need feeler gauges to figure out how far out of spec you are. hot cams makes a shim kit...usually around 70 - 80 bucks or so.

redlined94
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Dang man if I didnt live an hour away from you I would say you could bring it over and I would help ya out. I got a crap load of shims for it cuz I did the exact same thing. But ya you need to grab the hotcam shim kit. Mine ticks as well but I have heard that with hotcams they are goin to a little bit. Speak of which I need to probably tear mine down and see if my valves are still on. Any questions just let me know man.!!

lumi
02-23-2006, 03:42 PM
well the ticking can be normal because aftermarket cams make more noise than stock cams, but just to be sure that it is out of the ordinary, go to sears and buy a feller gauge for cheap. and stick them in between the rocker arm( i think its called that) and the shim and find the specs for the cam u have. im guessing ur talking about ur 2004 450r and u installed a hrc cam?

Punk'd
02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Acually its a Hotcams Stage 2. And Im going to pick up a feeler gauge to make sure its correct. I hope the ticking is normal.

It runs fine though?:confused:

02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
it may be fine, might not, better to check and see then just leave it, hope you like it tho!

lumi
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
it may be fine, might not, better to check and see then just leave it, hope you like it tho!

your absolutely right ,everytime u open that valve cover u should always have a feeler gauge just to check for the hell of it if its good... after checking them if they are to spec i wouldnt worry for another 50+ hours to check again or until u feel the need... but for some people i wouldnt recommend that. good luck and i hope u like the new cam. hotcams has a shim kit and so does vitos performance. i like hotcams better personally. take care 1