PDA

View Full Version : i sent this to local Newspaper

GIXXER1KR
02-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Well I am sorry to say that I have heard the sorry news again of another down rider here in our area due to the mishap of an off road accident....I am not sure of the exact day, But I am sure you guys are fluddering with info about it and this will all be hush hush as usual. From what I gather, (will find out more) is that there were a couple of people riding their dirtbikes (names disclosed) on some private property in the Chase Road, Freetown vicinity. More than likely on a private cranberry bog where they shouldn't have been. I belive a 32 year old local man and a 14 year old local boy. The 32 year old man came out of an emergency surgery last night at St. Lukes Hospital in New Bedford, MA(and all he could remember is that he was hit by a truck, mind you he was not on a public road) and unfortunately I haven't heard anything about the 14 year old other than he was airlifted to Boston and in critical condition!!!! Not Good and could have been prevented!!!!!!!!!From what I gather, and is rumor, again rumor, was he was in a high speed chase and trying to evade MASS Environmental Police...Which sounds like a similar situation that happened a couple of years ago to a local young boy on an ATV!!!! Why??? Because there is nowhere to ride without being bothered!!!!!!!!!!!! I myself have been riding atv's and dirtbike's for 15+ years and have evaded E.P.A in fear of getting heavy tresspassing fines and having my vehicles towed...Is it the right thing to do??? Of course not but, when you have a hobby that you love so much and there are plenty of places to ride, but unfortunately you get harassed, you have no choice but to take that chance. The sad thing is that when the 32 year old came out of surgery last night all he rembered was he was hit buy a truck. I have been there and experienced it myself. We are out having a great time doing something we love.Were riding our recreational vehicles.Were not killing people, hurting people, or causing trouble. I am 28 years old and can't believe this is happening again. If something was done the last time this happened, this would not be happening again !!!!!! We need places to ride.Why is it that you can ride a registered dirtbike in the Freetown State Forest but cant ride ATV's !!!! Something needs to be done !!!!!! For me to ride legally I have to ride on private property or travel 2 hours to ride . Unfortunately when I was 14 I couldn't do this and had to ride in illegal places. Why is it that you can register an atv and dirtbike in this state but get into trouble for riding it everywhere. In a place like New Bedford we need more things for young people to do and I believe atvs and dirtbikes are an excellent answer to that. It's fun and family oriented and shouldn't be something that every weekend when we go riding, we have to be in fear of the local authorities coming and taking your off-road vehicle and tagging you with numerous fines.You can face up to $500+ in tickets, inpound fees, towing fees when your vehicle is towed. Again things like this can be prevented. It's sad when people have to risk there lives and the authorities lives to evade these situations. I have even heard stories of the authorities setting up stings and staging accidents (lay there off road vehicle on the ground and lay near them) to get fellow riders to stop and help and they get into trouble !!!!!!!! Sad !!! Instead of busting us why don't they work with us and make it safer out there !!! People's lives are priceless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And unfortunately things right now are not looking good... I will find out more tonight but all I know is there is a huge investigation and I hope this goes local !!!!! If you do publish any of this please let me know !! And if there is anything we can do to help these families we should be there . So all we can do is pray that everyone is ok and that something positive comes out of this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FMF450R
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
who hit him.....the cops??

GIXXER1KR
02-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Its still up in the air!!!The scene is still being investigated and i sent this to all the local news stations and no one responded!!Go figure...

94F450SD
02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
im not sure that was the correct thing to do as it may not help our cause to get places to ride.

if you wanna try to help change things visit this site: www.massatv.org .

although i have the same idea that we wouldnt have these problems and the state wouldnt haveto worry about catching us if they gave us places to ride.

you can also go to this website to meet other riders and find a place to ride whereyou wont be harassed or bothered: http://www.atvnewengland.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=37

i hope it was ok for me to post these 2 links here

GIXXER1KR
02-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Nice just what i am looking for!!!

Old Head
02-25-2006, 04:17 AM
The situation is the same here in nj for the state forest. Street legal enduro bikes can ride back there but atv's can not. I've called to see if i register and insure my atv if i could ride but still got a big fatty NO. I guess they would rather have us and our kids just sitting around playing video games doing drugs and killing people instead of enjoying hundreds of miles of trail riding with the family. Makes no sense to me especially when my taxes pay for their salery. I hope you get somewhere with your article, because this country is going down the crapper and needs to be saved.

FMF450R
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
The situation is the same here in nj for the state forest. Street legal enduro bikes can ride back there but atv's can not. I've called to see if i register and insure my atv if i could ride but still got a big fatty NO. I guess they would rather have us and our kids just sitting around playing video games doing drugs and killing people instead of enjoying hundreds of miles of trail riding with the family. Makes no sense to me especially when my taxes pay for their salery. I hope you get somewhere with your article, because this country is going down the crapper and needs to be saved.

i agree...