PDA

View Full Version : wont start.....need help

adavis22
02-23-2006, 06:47 AM
I recently bought an 06 400ex. I have jetted the carb and have a full exhaust. it had been running fine, but i let it sit the last 3 weeks. i went to crank it and it will not fire. the starter turns over and will fire one time but it will not crank. i checked all of the obvious, plug is good, gas, switch on, and still i get nothing. i took the carb off and looked in the 17mm hole on the bottom where the jets are placed in. the main jet is not centered in the hole, it is cock eyed to the side and is very tight. someone told me to drain the carb...maybe a sticking float. any info on how to do that or anything else it could be.......thanks

rooster_20
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
If you took off the part where the main jet is and its sideways I'd say that has somthing to do with the problem. But I dont know if you can rethred it straight you might have to buy a new carb??:ermm:

sixer3
02-23-2006, 02:42 PM
the main-jet should be straight just nto centerd in the float bowl completely like this ( I ) anyways, clean out your pilot and dont pump the throttle at all for a few seconds while trying to crank it, change the plug, charge the abttery and if it still doesnt work pull start it, and see out it runs and if it idles fine, and post back up what happens

adavis4
02-24-2006, 08:00 AM
i checked the plug when i first could not get it cranked and it sparked fine. so i took the bike apart down to the carb and checked everything out. with the gas tank off i decided to check the spark plug again and of course no spark now. i put a new plug in and it works fine now. the main jet is still angles sideways in the bottom of the carb, but it does not seem to affect anything. thanks for all the help. oh yeah and i dont have a pull start

02-24-2006, 07:25 PM
he means push start...either push it or be pulled

Chino
02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by adavis22
I recently bought an 06 400ex. I have jetted the carb and have a full exhaust. it had been running fine, but i let it sit the last 3 weeks. i went to crank it and it will not fire. the starter turns over and will fire one time but it will not crank. i checked all of the obvious, plug is good, gas, switch on, and still i get nothing. i took the carb off and looked in the 17mm hole on the bottom where the jets are placed in. the main jet is not centered in the hole, it is cock eyed to the side and is very tight. someone told me to drain the carb...maybe a sticking float. any info on how to do that or anything else it could be.......thanks

If you took the 17mm cap off of the bottom of the carb you have just drained the bowl. That answers one of your questions. To drain the bowl, turn off your gas, take that 17mm cap off the bottom of your carb and look in that cap, clean it out good with some gas make sure no debris is in it.

Donjuan54
02-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Is it still under the 6 month warranty? if so take it back to the dealer. Don't stress buddy. My 400 wont run either. it broke down in glamis china wall. towed it back to camp. i thinks it an ignition problem. Good luck with your carb fellow exer

adavis4
02-25-2006, 08:28 AM
thanks for all the help....it is under warranty but i got it running now. it turned out to be the plug, it was fouled out.